The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-10-2017, 07:15 AM

I was going through a pretty serious rough patch a few years ago and worked on the braces of my maple SJ Tacoma. I had not cared for the "plain metal" tone of the unwound strings for some time. They sounded like they might just as well been strung across a log, like they weren't "activating" the top in some way. But mostly, it was to stay sane, just as OP shared. Boy did I get bass, and it WAS cheap, just time consuming. But it was the trebles I was after.
I don't think that this model was designed "overbuilt", but there were many hints that mine turned out that way. One was that a set of seriously heavy gauge strings didn't change the contour of the top in any way.
Like I said, I got an obvious increase in bass, but also did get some character on the high strings..not as much "warming" as I had hoped for, but it was ok.
I mostly just switched to playing a mahogany 0 guitar that was far softer sounding. I pulled out the SJ after many months following the last time I was still unsatisfied(its been years since the original mod), and was wonderfully surprised..."steely" has mellowed to more like "glassy" and I'm really digging it. Which is good, because I am again going through a rough time, and it looks like a guitar has come to my rescue again. It was just a couple of days ago that I discovered my "new" guitar, and it made me smile. Thanks for listening to my rambles.
Old 04-10-2017, 07:52 AM
Charter Member

Todd- I hope that things work out as well as they can for you and your Dad. It sounds like a time in your life for tough choices, and that's never easy. Good luck...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 04-10-2017, 09:20 AM

Looks like everyone agrees Todd is a good guy with lots of integrity. I bought a guitar from Todd, the transaction was flawless and the experience was a pleasure.

I think Todd is the perfect new owner of that "The Tree" McCollum that many of us were eyeing. Seems it's in need of lots of work, which Todd can do as a labor of love. That is has his preferred wide nut, just fits.
Old 04-10-2017, 12:18 PM
Musical minimalist

Thanks RP and Bchas - yes, this is a tough time. Getting through it OK so far. I truly appreciate the friends I've made here along the way.

The Mccollum is at Elderly getting the fret work done. The DN3 in this thread went to a very happy young man Saturday. He took a couple of strums of his favorite Dave Matthews tune and looked up and smiled like it was Christmas. He didn't realize I'd plugged the ports and when I unplugged them he had some more expletives

He'd driven two hours to get here. Said it was well worth the trip.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion