The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-15-2017, 12:50 PM

Default New amplification product idea for IK Multimedia

Week after week folks ask us the same important question.

"How do I amplify my guitar."

After three pages of the same two replies "do a google search" or "put a K&K in it" the thread fizzles unresolved.

Why?

Because the google search brought them here in the first place, and they don't want to "put a K&K in it." Superglue scares laymen. :-)

"What are you using it for?"

I suspect most of the people who ask the question need a casual solution to acoustic amplification, but are afraid to admit it and look foolish, and be scoffed at by those "in the know." I suspect that if one were able to quantify the distribution of acoustic guitar pickup use, they would find the following top three uses: noodling around at home, playing at church, playing local open mics. I suspect that actual professional use is WAY down the list. We are a small subset of the guitar playing world.

"You should buy...[INSERT THE EXPENSIVE ITEM YOU BOUGHT LAST WEEK]"

Most of us here who respond are using, and recommend, professional quality (expensive) equipment. Per my hypothesis above, folks don't want it, don't know how to install or use it, don't need it, and won't spend this year's vacation fund on it.

Enter IK Multimedia

IK Multimedia appears to be a company that targets the upper market as well as the hobbyist market. They have some great products for this hobbyist market. Incidentally, this is what I'm recommending to people who join my song circles, who want to try an open mic, or want a casual system. They can always move up to an internal pickup system later should they want to.

"So what's the BIG idea?"

Acoustic electric guitars are more ubiquitous. Many people are buying low priced and mid level guitars with electronics. Unless you can afford a Taylor, Martin, or Gibson with a good factory system, most causal users have two possible outcomes. 1. Hate it and live with it. 2. Don't know any better, and just live with it.

"This built-in pickup sounds terrible. Why does it quack so much? How do I make it sound more like my guitar but louder?"

Aha! Now we write three more pages listing our favorite preamps, effects boxes, parametric EQs, impulse response processors, and resonance enhancers. Nevermind that we just changed from the, previously "best product ever," last week, and we intend to change again next week. These all cost $100 to $500, depending on features for vocals, have 13 knobs, and are designed for people who play gigs. But, even that's not the biggest problem.

"What is the biggest problem with the magic stomp boxes?"

Setup and transitions.

People in the hobbyist category are playing between 1 and 3 songs in front of an audience and they need to hand the instrument cable over to Harriett so she can do her latest banjo sonata. You don't have TIME to setup the magic unicorn pedals. They hardly have time to tune their guitars. Most don't.

And, even if you did have the time, you'd be too nervous to set it up right. It would be a disaster. Admit it Harriett! The guy who runs the sound system surely isn't going to leave his magic stomp box out for everyone to foul up or steal. Nope, you get a partially shorted (try not to move Harriett) guitar cable from the bottom of the milk crate, one channel (hopefully set flat) and either too much or too little volume. And, you happily quack away like a duck, wincing a little every time you hit a D chord.

"Like I sad! So what's the BIG idea?!"

I propose a tiny preamp pack for fixing cheap UST pickup signals that can be attached to a guitar strap. Pretty much the same circuit that you're using for the current product. It would employ a para EQ and compressor like the BodyRez with maybe 3 presets. It would use 2032 batteries like your guitar tuner. Heck, it might even include a guitar tuner. It needs to cost $39. The batteries need to last for 4-8 hours, or 16 to 32 open mic sets of use. Besides the tuner and 3 presets, it should have a volume pot and a "no pop" switch jack for the shorted guitar cable from 1987. Auto off for folks who forget to unplug it. If you can figure out a plug design that won't drain the guitar's 9v battery, when they inevitably leave it plugged in over night, you get extra love.

Market it next to the iRig Acoustic Stage and call it iRig Acoustic Pickup "Better-er-er", or something, you know... good

You're welcome.

*mic drop*

HA! NEVERMIND! They already did it some of this. The iRig Stage works as a preamp for internal pickups too. I guess it WAS a good idea. Maybe consider my suggestions for V2 of the product:-)

Last edited by martingitdave; 03-15-2017 at 01:38 PM.
Old 03-15-2017, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
Pretty much the same circuit that you're using for the current product. It would employ a para EQ and compressor like the BodyRez with maybe 3 presets. It would use 2032 batteries like your guitar tuner. Heck, it might even include a guitar tuner. It needs to cost $39. The batteries need to last for 4-8 hours, or 16 to 32 open mic sets of use.
Digital FX working on two CR2032 batteries. It's not realistic. Every quality digital FX consumes a lot of current. Strymon and Eventide product typically need 200mA-300mA (500mA power supply). The Fishma Aura Spectrum DI needs 25mA and kill a battery within 20h (user guide).

The solution exists it is called Martin Retro, Martin with Aura enhanced or Yamaha A serie.

Note that with Martin Retro, you have the compressor, the tuner and the anti feedback onboard. All you need is a spare 9V battery.
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 03-16-2017, 08:27 AM

So have you tried out that iRig Acoustic Stage unit yet? $99 factory price, should be around $70 at dealers, once out there.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 03-16-2017, 09:00 AM

Default New amplification product idea for IK Multimedia

I tried the one that one of our members bought. It sounded good. I'm not a fan of external wires and mics, but for him it was great. I do like the design of the preamp. I just didn't realize it had aux in jack for signal from the pickup, negating the reason for my post.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification