The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-12-2017, 10:23 PM

Default USB music recorder

Does anyone have one of these gadgets,and do you use it ? Does it do more than just plug your guitar into a PC ? clueless on electronics...

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/UCA222

"In The Wind"

Last edited by Dirty Bill; 03-12-2017 at 10:28 PM.
Old 03-12-2017, 10:26 PM
Charter Member

Upon advice from notable forum experts, I picked up a Zoom recorder.

In addition to recording, it can be used as a super effective USB mic to pull audio into your PC.

If you are looking for he simplest solution, there is nothing better.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 03-13-2017, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Bill View Post
Does anyone have one of these gadgets,and do you use it ? Does it do more than just plug your guitar into a PC ? clueless on electronics...

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/UCA222
Ummm actually that one doesn't even plug your guitar into a PC. That one is designed to plug like RCA jack stuff like a Record Player or what not into a PC.

I guess a good question would be, what are you wanting to do? Then we can help you find a good solution.
Old 03-13-2017, 06:41 AM

Like Bob said, The model you specified doesn't accept a guitar directly..
Since it has RCA inputs (not the 1/4" like a guitar cable).

You would be better to get this one for $10 more.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/UMC22

It would allow you to plug a guitar or a microphone .. then connect the USB to a computer.
It also comes with software to record on the PC.

Again, what is it you are wanting to do? I have a Behringer USB interface with 2 inputs and it works great.
allowing me to plug guitar and mic simultaneously and record cleanly.
Old 03-13-2017, 07:00 AM

I currently have a number of different recording type solutions. I'll lay them out here and what products I use so you can get an idea of how I use them.

1) Tascam DR-40 - This uses a SD Card and records either with the built in mics or it has two XLR-1/4" Combo jacks that you can plug in guitars/instruments or mics to. I use this for recording lessons, or if I'm away from my computer to record stuff plugging in my guitar and mic to. Zoom also makes the Zoom H4N that is another similar type recorder that is popular, I just got the Tascam for pretty cheap.

2) Zoom H1 - This uses a micro SD Card and records with the built in mics or has a small mini jack plug. I use this with a lapel mic to close mic a person speaking when I do videos or if I'm just wanting to record an idea or something real quick. It is really tiny and portable and good for these uses.

3) Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 - This plugs in to my computer via USB and has two XLR -1/4" Combo jacks. I use this for recording to my computer. Can easily do a guitar and a mic or two mics or two guitars. This is usually what I use to record my voice over recordings. In the past I had a M-Audio M-track but it got knocked off my table and broke. I also have a M-Audio Firewire Solo but it is a bit old and there aren't drivers really for it anymore for my mac.

4) Behringer X32 Rack - This is really a mixer, but I can plug it in via USB and grab all the channels form it into my recording software. I usually don't use this unless I'm wanting to record more than 2 channels at a time.

Hope this maybe helps, but it might not. Like Jake said there are a ton of solutions out there, so it'd help knowing what you want to do.
Old 03-13-2017, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwl View Post
Ummm actually that one doesn't even plug your guitar into a PC. That one is designed to plug like RCA jack stuff like a Record Player or what not into a PC.

I guess a good question would be, what are you wanting to do? Then we can help you find a good solution.
I just want the sound from my guitar to go into my computer without picking up all sounds around me,like dogs barking,etc. Thanks.

"In The Wind"
Old 03-13-2017, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwl View Post
I currently have a number of different recording type solutions. I'll lay them out here and what products I use so you can get an idea of how I use them.

1) Tascam DR-40 - This uses a SD Card and records either with the built in mics or it has two XLR-1/4" Combo jacks that you can plug in guitars/instruments or mics to. I use this for recording lessons, or if I'm away from my computer to record stuff plugging in my guitar and mic to. Zoom also makes the Zoom H4N that is another similar type recorder that is popular, I just got the Tascam for pretty cheap.

2) Zoom H1 - This uses a micro SD Card and records with the built in mics or has a small mini jack plug. I use this with a lapel mic to close mic a person speaking when I do videos or if I'm just wanting to record an idea or something real quick. It is really tiny and portable and good for these uses.

3) Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 - This plugs in to my computer via USB and has two XLR -1/4" Combo jacks. I use this for recording to my computer. Can easily do a guitar and a mic or two mics or two guitars. This is usually what I use to record my voice over recordings. In the past I had a M-Audio M-track but it got knocked off my table and broke. I also have a M-Audio Firewire Solo but it is a bit old and there aren't drivers really for it anymore for my mac.

4) Behringer X32 Rack - This is really a mixer, but I can plug it in via USB and grab all the channels form it into my recording software. I usually don't use this unless I'm wanting to record more than 2 channels at a time.

Hope this maybe helps, but it might not. Like Jake said there are a ton of solutions out there, so it'd help knowing what you want to do.
Everything helps,thanks. I have a Tascam DR-05,but I'm not sure what it will do. It's been in the closet for quite a while.

"In The Wind"
Old 03-13-2017, 08:19 AM

Default USB

Thanks everyone. They did not have the Behringer,so I ordered this one......

"In The Wind"

Last edited by Dirty Bill; 03-13-2017 at 05:29 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification