The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-06-2017, 09:42 AM

Default Trance Audio - Questions

Hey all - I am thinking of getting TA Amulet to install in my '08 Gibson J-45 TV. It had a Highlander UST and I removed and had a new saddle made.

I was going to go with the K&K Mini. But I found a used one here in town. SO may opt to give the Amulet a try!

The used one doesn't have the tape or the installation clamps that are included.

I assume I can order from trance Audio?
What would be a fair price to offer for the used MVT pickup? Considering hassle and cost of finding the tape etc...

Also, look at my photo below and tell if there's enough room on the bridge plate ....? I will need to check closer later or tonight. But can't take the strings off right now.

Thanks!

Old 03-06-2017, 11:44 AM
Charter Member

Hi Jake,

It looks like easily enough room to mount the Trance Amulets, and the initial recommended mounting positioning will keep both Amulets away from the round depression on the bridge-plate between the 3rd and 4th strings.

Before you buy, call or email Gary Hull at Trance Audio and explain that you're buying a used M Dual Mono M-VT system, he'll probably sell you the permanent tape and turnbuckle-clamp or maybe give you them.

The selling price of a new Trance Amulet M Dual Mono M-VT system is $319. I'd offer the seller $125, to start, and come up to $175, and maybe $200 max, if buying used for a $119 saving still appeals to you at $200.

Regards, Ken
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 03-06-2017 at 11:51 AM.
Old 03-06-2017, 01:26 PM

Wow.. thanks for the details Ken.
I did email Gary just now and see what he says.

I'd love to try the Amulet... heard great things about it.

Ya .. glad you think the install would work nice ..I wonder if that round depression would alter the sound .. should I decide to use the K&k Mini ? Which has 3 elements ...
Old 03-06-2017, 02:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeStone View Post
Wow.. thanks for the details Ken.
I did email Gary just now and see what he says.

I'd love to try the Amulet... heard great things about it.

Ya .. glad you think the install would work nice ..I wonder if that round depression would alter the sound .. should I decide to use the K&k Mini ? Which has 3 elements ...
I'd say K&K transducers are a fairly forgiving in positioning but I'm not sure if the round depression would impart a hollowness or some other less-than-desirable tonal characteristic to the middle disk that may mismatch the tone of the other two disks? Doug Young and Maury (Maury's Music) may have some firmer information on this.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 03-06-2017 at 04:41 PM.
Old 03-06-2017, 03:49 PM

i got mine thru Maury's Music. He did a great job for me on both my guitars. i just wouldn't try doing it myself.
Old 03-10-2017, 09:15 AM

You can make a template out of cardboard to find out if there is enough room on the bridge plate - instructions are contained here: http://tranceaudio.com/manuals/Tranc...ateInstall.pdf

That mounting hole you see in the middle of the bridge plate is filled with hard glue - harder than maple. Hope it won't give you problems - had a Trtance in a Gibson SJ - marvelous pickup. I sold the guitar to a performer who is addicted to his "Aura" and I was able to buy the pickup back for $50. It is now inside a Martin D-35 and is the bees knees.
Gibson J-50 (K&K Pure Mini)
Martin D-35 (Trance Audio M)
Gibson J-35 Vintage (Trance Audio M)
Martin 1937 D-28 Authentic "Aged"
Old 03-10-2017, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Hi Jake,

It looks like easily enough room to mount the Trance Amulets, and the initial recommended mounting positioning will keep both Amulets away from the round depression on the bridge-plate between the 3rd and 4th strings.

Before you buy, call or email Gary Hull at Trance Audio and explain that you're buying a used M Dual Mono M-VT system, he'll probably sell you the permanent tape and turnbuckle-clamp or maybe give you them.

The selling price of a new Trance Amulet M Dual Mono M-VT system is $319. I'd offer the seller $125, to start, and come up to $175, and maybe $200 max, if buying used for a $119 saving still appeals to you at $200.

Regards, Ken

Really good info, Ken, although $200 would be a bit high for a used system that would likely be out of warranty, and would still need adhesives. $150 seems like a reasonable ceiling here.

I wanted the new phantom powered Amulet so badly for my D-28 Authentic 1937, but, alas, the very narrow bridgeplate on this guitar makes it a no-go.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification