The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-04-2017, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turp View Post
This debated a lot and my belief is once the sound is amplified, it's not acoustic rather acoustic sounding so I pursue either of 2 paths; as accurate as possible acoustic sound or create a sound/tone through the signal chain.

My 2cents experience is that really good arrays and speakers, with not larger than s 10" driver, seem to be more "accurate". Larger drivers can get woofy and loose some detail.

I have a Schertler David I play exclusively at home and used a Yamaha DBR10 powered PA on gigs. Earlier on, I would use the Shertler but found I needed a smidge more power. A powered PA, made more sense to me regarding tone and bang for the buck. I also play through a Fishman SA220 in an acoustic duo and it is very accurate and incredibly practical.
Good points. The best and most transparent amplified sound I've experienced has been with a Yamaha Stagepass 600 PA. Wonderfully clear and well rounded tone. My AER, by comparison, is more compressed and tonally modified.

2014 Pono N30 DC EIR/Spruce crossover
2009 Pono koa parlor (NAMM prototype)
2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Hatcher Greta 13 fret cutaway in EIR/cedar
2017 Hatcher Josie fan fret mahogany
1973 Sigma GCR7 (OM model) rosewood and spruce
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
....and about 5 really nice tenor ukuleles at any given moment
Old 03-04-2017, 07:31 PM

Default acoustic sound

I found a 2010 Crate Acoustic CA 60D amp. Lots of effects options although if you're looking to replicate an acoustic sound you may not need. Picked it up for 99 bucks. Still looks and works great. The Shadow Nanoflex system in the guitar works well with it. If I need to upgrade I'll trade up, but this works well now. thanks, huckster
Old 03-09-2017, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
Biamped PA speakers, to my ears, have been the best thing for reproducing the acoustic sound of a guitar. I love the way my guitars sound through a pair of Yamaha MSR400S speakers. Very detailed sound.
My experience is pretty similar. Running direct through my powered Alto Trouper sounds like my guitar, but amplified. Very clean reproduction and flat response. Our duo has run our guitars every which way, through a mixer into the Alto through an amp into the Alto and it just sounds better to my ears right through the Alto
The Alto was designed for just that purpose in small to medium-sized venues.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 03-09-2017, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puerto Player View Post
If you're using a mic with guitar there are lot's of good amps. If you're using the pickup inside the guitar, I think a decent pre-amp makes a bigger difference than what amp you use.
The right amp makes a preamp unnecessary. When I play thru a house PA, I use my Redeye preamp and get great sound. When I play thru my Carvin AG300 with HI Z engaged I don't need the Redeye; it sounds just as good without it. If you're using a piezo pickup you need to either plug into a high impedance input (which just about ALL acoustic amps have) or use a preamp/DI to match the pickup impedance to the input channel.

I've played a variety of piezo equipped instruments thru a Bose L1, Fender Acoustasonic 150, Roland cube and Roland street cube EX. The Carvin gives me more features, more power and better sound, and is less expensive than all but the Fender.
Old 03-09-2017, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
The right amp makes a preamp unnecessary. When I play thru a house PA, I use my Redeye preamp and get great sound. When I play thru my Carvin AG300 with HI Z engaged I don't need the Redeye; it sounds just as good without it. If you're using a piezo pickup you need to either plug into a high impedance input (which just about ALL acoustic amps have) or use a preamp/DI to match the pickup impedance to the input channel.

I've played a variety of piezo equipped instruments thru a Bose L1, Fender Acoustasonic 150, Roland cube and Roland street cube EX. The Carvin gives me more features, more power and better sound, and is less expensive than all but the Fender.
My Carvin sounds better w/o the pre-amp too. Most other's don't.
Old 03-09-2017, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aknow View Post
My Carvin sounds better w/o the pre-amp too. Most other's don't.

The Carvin S600 I was testing also sounded better straight in. Good acoustic guitar amps should be designed to work without much else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 03-10-2017, 05:43 AM

To the OP:

It depends on the pickups. Up until recently, and still in most cases, people would regard the best acoustic amps as the amps that can make a decent UST pickup sound natural (which requires very carefully voiced pre-amps).

But since you mention advanced in pickups - and I'm assuming you're talking about Baggs Anthem/Lyric, Trance Amulet, Dazzo etc.? - the above isn't so valid anymore, and some "winners" of past decades may hinder these "higher resolution" pickups because they're wired to make USTs sound good.

Also, I think it's worth looking at your PA / signal chain and if you really need to carry an amp along. If you're going to gig with just a small amp, sure, carry on looking for one. However, if you're like me and gig through your own (or consistent) high-end PA, it makes sense to get great new generation pickups and perhaps a good outboard pre-amp or tone shaper.

My rig is a Gibson AJ or Songwriter with Trance Amulets into a line6 M9, a Baggs Venue or Zoom A3 into a Makcie DL1608 desk (Onyx pre-amsp) into Yamaha DXR active speakers or a Bose L1.

Very few acoustic amps can compete with the detailed and rich sound and control of tone I get with this setup.
Old 03-11-2017, 12:27 AM

PA all the way...IMHO...

With a body rez stage...and some decent reverb such as the Zoom M50...

Then the PA...I use the Yorkville NX10, 300 watt module.

Stereo PA not necessary.

The NX10 supports a monitor as well.

d
Old 03-11-2017, 02:27 AM

Loud box Artist always delivers, but I see a Humphrey in my future
Taylor Big Baby

"Slow is smooth, smooth is fast"
Old 03-11-2017, 03:15 AM
Charter Member

I understand that in some cases it is necessary to bug a guitar and amplify it via a p.a. or, at worst, into a guitar amp.

As soon as you plug in a guitar, your sound is compromised....period.

A good condensor mic into a good well balanced p.a. is the least worst option to reflect a realistic duplication of the sound of your guitar, and playing.

If you have to "bug up" my choice is currently K&K, into a floor pre-amp (of choice) into a p.a. system.

It's OK for noise making for a crowd of relatively disinterested listeners.

I have not much experimented with acoustic amps. Maybe the Acus or Schertlers are worth consideration, but it is an electric signal that you are putting out. Difficult to get here in the UK.

Plugging an acoustic in to a emulator and/or an ordinary electric guitar amp - is simply fooling yourself - you are playing an electric guitar.
Old 03-11-2017, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
I understand that in some cases it is necessary to bug a guitar and amplify it via a p.a. or, at worst, into a guitar amp.

As soon as you plug in a guitar, your sound is compromised....period.

A good condensor mic into a good well balanced p.a. is the least worst option to reflect a realistic duplication of the sound of your guitar, and playing.

If you have to "bug up" my choice is currently K&K, into a floor pre-amp (of choice) into a p.a. system.

It's OK for noise making for a crowd of relatively disinterested listeners.

I have not much experimented with acoustic amps. Maybe the Acus or Schertlers are worth consideration, but it is an electric signal that you are putting out. Difficult to get here in the UK.

Plugging an acoustic in to a emulator and/or an ordinary electric guitar amp - is simply fooling yourself - you are playing an electric guitar.
Agreed, though I've gravitated to ribbon mics over condensers for natural acoustic guitar tone. Admittedly, that opens up a whole other topic. I do have a K &K in my dread and certainly, at times, find it useful. That said, I have no illusion my plugged in guitar sounds "acoustic". Even when plugged in I blend my guitar signal with a signal from a microphone.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification