The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 01-21-2012, 05:13 PM

It is pretty easy to drop a bundle on a quality uke. Any of the K brands or a Don Moore, Rick Turner or a Devine. I wish Taylor would make them available separately.
#2 Pencil
Various Scraps of Paper
Old 01-21-2012, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slopeshoulder View Post
It is pretty easy to drop a bundle on a quality uke. Any of the K brands or a Don Moore, Rick Turner or a Devine. I wish Taylor would make them available separately.
Chuck Moore, don't know Don.....

You forgot, ummm, letsee.... ( I know you weren't intending on a complete list..)

Kevin Crossett- Kepasa ukes -though his are very reasonably priced.
Dave Means- Glyph ukulele
Dave Talsma
Gary Ziminicki
Mike Dasilva
Tony Graziano
Pete Hurney
Owen Holt
Ron Saul
Augie and daughter Donna LoPrinzi
Ken Potts
John Kitakis

Oh my, the list grows longer all the time. Those mentioned above is the short list, there's a whole lot more. And depending on your needs, all the prices are affordable, sometimes there's a wait, Dave Means of Glyph isn't taking any new orders. Glad I have one.

All those uke makers above make a superior uke, I've played most of them, I think Taylor will fit in with the mix just fine. Uke players are looking for makers just to take the build seriously.

As so many of us found in our younger days, the cheap ones were poorly built toys. No, they're not suppose to be. Even the old, respected makers had terrible intonation past the 3rd fret, which cemented a whole generation of musician's opinion on the uke. It's just a toy. The fellas mentioned above, and it's only a short list, do not hold that opinion.

Hope Taylor is in that mix.
Old 01-21-2012, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotten View Post
There's truth in what you say, no doubt, but probably not the whole truth. Taylor Guitars is hardly an unknown quantity.
I'm a Taylor Fan. I don't think, in terms of Bang for the Buck, you can beat an older used mahogany bodied taylor, like a 555. And down the road, I'm sure I'll be able to say the same about the current models using whatever woods they find next. And that's another point. They have done more to make what were considered "lesser woods" mainstream than anyone else too. Yes out of necessity, but they still get credit for it my mind. I think the neck attachement and shim setup IS a brilliant way to address the weakest point in a guitar. Nothing but respect.

But breaking into the uke world should have done more humbly IMO.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue View Post
...But breaking into the uke world should have done more humbly IMO.
Can't argue with that, Blue. It will be interesting to see what develops, both from the production side and from the consumers' side. I appreciate your sharing your experience and opinion. What I don't know about Ukuleles would fill thousands of (blank) pages!

cotten
Old 01-23-2012, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal View Post
...As so many of us found in our younger days, the cheap ones were poorly built toys. No, they're not suppose to be. Even the old, respected makers had terrible intonation past the 3rd fret, which cemented a whole generation of musician's opinion on the uke. It's just a toy. The fellas mentioned above, and it's only a short list, do not hold that opinion.

Hope Taylor is in that mix.
I hear you on the intonation. My wife's grandma and all her aunties have/had Kamaka and swear by them for the most part. However, event he newer ones have intonation issues. I can be more objective, though; I'm just a haole with no roots in Hawaii. For me I can only afford a factory made uke, and the best to my ears as far as tone, resonance, and intonation is Kanile'a. Plus, I like that they use geared tuners over the traditional friction tuners.

So, given Taylor's reputation as far as fit and finish and intonation, I would seriously consider a Taylor uke if the tone and price were to my liking.

Although, I have to buy my daughter a Kanile'a some day; how cool to have a ukulele named after you...
Old 01-23-2012, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Health Freak View Post
I hear you on the intonation. My wife's grandma and all her aunties have/had Kamaka and swear by them for the most part. However, event he newer ones have intonation issues. I can be more objective, though; I'm just a haole with no roots in Hawaii. For me I can only afford a factory made uke, and the best to my ears as far as tone, resonance, and intonation is Kanile'a. Plus, I like that they use geared tuners over the traditional friction tuners.

So, given Taylor's reputation as far as fit and finish and intonation, I would seriously consider a Taylor uke if the tone and price were to my liking.

Although, I have to buy my daughter a Kanile'a some day; how cool to have a ukulele named after you...

Gotta be somebody named Taylor Gibson out there!
Old 01-23-2012, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorgyrl View Post
Wow. Have not seen it before. I hope they get them into production soon so mere mortals can take ownership
Plus one, I heard this limited set runs like ten grand.
Old 01-23-2012, 03:26 PM
strummin' an x12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotten View Post
Taylor's Andy Powers at NAAM, showing a koa uke. Picture from Brian Swerdfeger, Taylor Sales.

Check out the K Series inlay!

cotten
These are great!

Are you free to mention to whom he provided them, or at least credit/a link?

:-)

~ S.
Old 07-13-2012, 12:34 PM

Default Taylor ukelele

Hi I am new excited member because just recieved my taylor guitar and ukelele. I believe i have the only one in the uk to have it out of the 30 world wide. Was it worth the wait..........absolutely all koa guitar is as I expected .its gs model bigger than my koa concert bigger sound, very well balenced, crisp clear bass lovely fingerpickers guitar. The all koa taylor ukelele is the tenor so it accommodates my large fingers very well. Playing harmonics on such a small instrument is amazing. This is my first ukelele dont think I will ever need another!
Rick
Old 07-13-2012, 03:55 PM

Rick - Welcome to the AGF.

Congrats on the uke! What Taylor guitar did you get?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments