The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-15-2002, 11:16 AM

Default Playing my 310 at the local thursday night jam tonight....

In Atlanta we have a Thursday night Bluegrass jam at a local club. This will be the first night I play there with a Taylor. I promise they will be able to hear my new 310 along with their Martins. I believe I will be the only Taylor player there. Looking forward to it.
Old 08-15-2002, 12:41 PM

Hi Jay,
How long have you had the 310 and how do you like it?? I'm considering a 310 but still gathering information and opinions before setting foot into the stores. Can't wait to hear how the Bluegrass jam went with it.

NHS
Old 08-15-2002, 12:45 PM

NHS, opinions and information are always useful, but nothing beats playing them yourself. I don't think Taylor makes any bad guitars, but opinions vary on different models, and you'll find subtle differences between guitars even of the same model.

My opinion? You can't go wrong with a 310, but try a 410 or two before you make up your mind.
Old 08-15-2002, 01:54 PM

Chris,
I've been lurking in here for a few weeks now reading this and that and taking it all in. Hands down!! From what everyone on here has written, Taylor is the greatest!! But doggone it, I still have to read and research everything to death before I make a move. It's my nature. God forbid anyone having to deal with me buying another car!! ha ha

I agree with your 410 statement. I played a 310 and a 410 last year and the 410 won approval by just a small difference. For me this is starting out as a 310 wanting thing but will wind up a 510 ownership thing probably. Unless I find that siren of a 310 that is calling my name from the distance out there somewhere.

NHS
Old 08-15-2002, 02:22 PM

Talking

Smitty,
I am thrilled beyond belief with my 310. I never new I could enjoy a guitar so much.BUT... before you buy be aware that the new brace positioning will be available on the 500 series and up, and it is supposed to make a great difference. Might be worth waiting and saving up some more pennies (it'll cost almost twice what a 310 will). If you play any Bluegrass, and don't play with a very aggressive attack, I would wait and check out the new 510 in, say, december. If you play like an animal like myself, you can make a 310 hang with any Martin out there. I do plan to get a 510 as soon as I can afford it, because I have a bad case of TAS after getting my 310.
The real bottom line is, Bob Taylor seems to be separating the 3 and 400 series from the 500 and ups. I would wait, play as many Taylors as possible in every possible shop, and make sure you wait long enough to try the 510 with the new voicing. Then make your decision.
If you can't wait, then you certainly won't regret the purchase of a 310 now. I'm flabergasted by mine. I'd rather sleep with it than my wife
just kidding. but i love it.
Old 08-15-2002, 06:02 PM

Jay,
Thanks for your thoughts on the 310. I don't own a Taylor yet but have TAS pretty bad. Heck, I have GAS in general. You mention playing like an animal and it making the 310 stand up to most others is encouraging.

NHS
Old 08-16-2002, 07:23 PM

Jay,

How did the Jam session go on Thursday night ?

( @ )===:::
Old 08-19-2002, 10:59 AM

Jam went great. Got only positive comments on my Taylor.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification