The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-13-2002, 05:45 PM

Default James Taylor - October Road

Well, I landed in Hong Kong on August 13th, the official launch date of JT's new album, "October Road." Happened to find it at the local HMV Music and Video store here. Listened to it on my laptop through a pretty crummy speaker. Still, it sounded great. Can't wait to play it through a real system.

Hope you all have a chance to hear "October Road," real soon.
Old 08-14-2002, 06:05 AM

Hi Livingston:

Any favorite songs, yet?

Looking forward to getting the CD. How about photos of his Olson collection on the Liner insert?
Old 08-14-2002, 07:15 AM

No favorites yet. Like the whole project in general. Can't wait to get home to listen to it on something other than a piezo buzzer speaker.

He's carrying his Olson OM (no cutaway) on the cover and on the back. I get the impression he has not added to his Olson collection over the years. I believe he purchased the OM, OM cutaway and dread around the same time. Someone else here probably knows more about his selection of axes.
Old 08-14-2002, 09:01 AM

I believe they are technically SJ's not OM's, although they are somewhat similar to Martin OM's in shape. Last I checked JT owned four Olsons. As the story goes James Olson left a cedar topped SJ cutaway backstage with a note. JT was sufficiently impressed to order a non-cutaway immediately, but Jim Olson insisted he keep the cutaway in the meantime. When the non-cutaway SJ was ready, JT couldn't bring himself to give up the cutaway and kept them both. He subsequently purchased the dread, and later a 4th Olson with which I am not familiar. Olson is now making a JT signature model based on the non-cutaway SJ, and as you can imagine, the price is substantial.

K14c Custom
http://home.earthlink.net/~jira/
Old 08-14-2002, 09:16 AM

Thumbs up

I just ordered it from amazon. He performed "On The Fourth of July" while on tour last year. Typical JT quality material.

If you want to succeed, you should strike out on new paths rather than travel the worn paths of accepted business. John D. Rockefeller

Uncork New York!
Old 08-14-2002, 10:28 AM

Just picked up our copy of the "limited edition" 2-CD set at Costco yesterday. As with most everything he puts out, this album is excellent -- leaning more toward "smooth jazz" than much of his other work. I like the acoustic focus of this album.

Fourth of July is probably my favorite track, although that might just be because I had heard it several times before in other pre-release appearances and on-line venues. He does a nice rendition of "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" too.

As a side note, it's interesting how the resale market on Olsons has been skyrocketing lately, as Jim Olson hasn't announced his new price schedule that will take effect when he resumes production on new orders.

Enjoy the album!

-Kent

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification