The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-12-2002, 10:45 AM

Default Frustrated with my acoustic. I need good advice.

So I take my Fender GA45-SCE to one shop to see if I can get this buzz out of the low E and to maybe lower the action.
The shop says the neck needs to be refitted. That the saddle is too low to be worked on. That the action isn't low enough. I should use the warranty and take it back where I bought it.
Their words "this has potential to be a good guitar."

I take it back to the dealer. They say the guitar plays beautifully. If anything the action is too low. I shouldn't want it any lower. Forget about ever lowering it and definetely forget about working on the neck or trading it for another guitar.
I'm then told if I'm not happy with it then I should take it to another store and trade it toward a Taylor.
It's suggested there's something wrong with me and I'm a troublemaker for questioning this. And that anybody that tells me differently just wants to sell me a new guitar or to sell me some work.

I'm frustrated. What should I do?
Old 08-12-2002, 11:47 AM
.tom the übergeek

I would call Fender tech support and ask them what the measurements are for neck relief and action. There are some images on Fender's website on how to measure this. There is also info on what their spec is for a Stratocaster but not sure I remember seeing those numbers for an acoustic. Good Luck,
Old 08-12-2002, 12:04 PM

Jonzer66,

I would contact fender and speak to customer service. By all means relate your story about this dealer to them, and ask what dealer they suggest to remedy the situation. I know of a couple of instances where factory reps have called dealers and made arrangments to have guitars brought into the paticular stores where the factory rep would come in and examine the guitar.
in most cases they will do what is necessary to make the customer happy.

If the guitar was purchased new and the warranty card sent in you will have no problem taking the guitar to an authorized fender repair station. or even if you have not registared the guitar but have the reciept you can go to any fender dealer and have them send it in for repair if it was a manufacturing inssue and not do to modification after it left the factory.

In general I think Fender tries to do a good job with customer service, and cares how their dealers treat customers in dealing with their products. But they are not "Taylor" by a long shot as far as service, and also only so much can be done with a low end guitar.
Old 08-12-2002, 07:55 PM

Take it to Guitar Works in Richmond. They are trustworthy and reliable and will give you the best advice. Brian is the owner and he is very helpful. They are also Fender and Taylor dealers

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification