The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-08-2018, 09:26 PM

I have had numerous Gore-Tex lined products leak on me over the years. Gloves, boots, jackets, pullovers, you name it. When the material becomes saturated, water gets through. And even when the fabric itself performs like it’s supposed to, the seams become a weak spot and water seeps through.

No thank you to trusting Gore technology to keep my guitars humidified and yet dry. It’s much safer to keep the entire area properly humidified.
Old 03-09-2018, 01:06 AM

I have not had a leakage issue. I have discovered that while they can be re-hydrated, once they are saturated the moisture cannot be removed.
Old 03-09-2018, 01:27 AM

Interesting. My pouches are not like the ones in the video. They seem to be made from soft cotton and don't appear waterproof at all. they don't have any seal in the top either, so even if they were waterproof, the liquid could just spill out of the top. I'm considering either just using the pouches sitting behind the headstock, restricting their use to my electric guitars, or reverting to a sponge system.
Old 03-09-2018, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooster View Post
Interesting. My pouches are not like the ones in the video. They seem to be made from soft cotton and don't appear waterproof at all. they don't have any seal in the top either, so even if they were waterproof, the liquid could just spill out of the top. I'm considering either just using the pouches sitting behind the headstock, restricting their use to my electric guitars, or reverting to a sponge system.
That is an old video. There is no plastic clip in the new kits, in fact I've never seen one. The new pouches are very soft on the outside, the inside is smoother, that's the breathable membrane. Unless you store your guitars upside down the gel could not leak out of the top.
Old 03-09-2018, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakotabison View Post
That is an old video. There is no plastic clip in the new kits, in fact I've never seen one. The new pouches are very soft on the outside, the inside is smoother, that's the breathable membrane. Unless you store your guitars upside down the gel could not leak out of the top.
Fair enough, that settles the question that I don't have an outmoded batch, but then again, the pouch lying on the headstock could leak quite easily. Sure, not with the same effect but still could leak out surely?

I will try these pouches out for waterproofing tonight under the tap
Old 03-09-2018, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooster View Post
Fair enough, that settles the question that I don't have an outmoded batch, but then again, the pouch lying on the headstock could leak quite easily. Sure, not with the same effect but still could leak out surely?

I will try these pouches out for waterproofing tonight under the tap
That would be possible but not likely if the case is flat. The contents of the humidipaks are a gel not a low viscosity fluid, so I would think they would just pool in the pouch. If the case is on a stand then the gel could flow out of the pouch if the top is pointed down towards the floor. Let us know how your test goes, I've never tried it.
Old 03-09-2018, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakotabison View Post
That would be possible but not likely if the case is flat. The contents of the humidipaks are a gel not a low viscosity fluid, so I would think they would just pool in the pouch. If the case is on a stand then the gel could flow out of the pouch if the top is pointed down towards the floor. Let us know how your test goes, I've never tried it.
True enough. I'm going to try it out later tonight with water and will maybe try and post a picture if I can. I wonder why they discontinued the waterproof packs in the video?
Old 03-09-2018, 05:00 PM

I have put some water in each of the pouches and they are actually waterproof. I didn't measure the amount of water but it was a similar amount to the amount of liquid in each sachet.

I have had them hanging up for 40 mins with no sign of leakage. I might leave them overnight and see what happens. Given that water is likely to leak through easier than the hydration fluid if all is good in the morning I will relax a bit.

I took a pic but don't know how to add it I'm afraid.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion