The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-13-2017, 01:30 PM

Default Zoom acoustic preamp

So. I play every Saturday at my local church and gig often with a cover band and I am getting increasingly angry with not being able to get a repeatable sound through the various systems I have to play through. Could I use the zoom pre amp to help get a repeatable sound and maybe use some of the effects or is it more of a home use item? Basically what I'm asking is will it be stage friendly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-13-2017, 01:37 PM

I'm playing a Martin CEO-7 (I'm the one who's standing) in these video's with a Zoom A3.

http://www.buzzardwhiskey.com/videos

I like it quite a bit.
Old 03-13-2017, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke_bl View Post
So. I play every Saturday at my local church and gig often with a cover band and I am getting increasingly angry with not being able to get a repeatable sound through the various systems I have to play through. Could I use the zoom pre amp to help get a repeatable sound and maybe use some of the effects or is it more of a home use item? Basically what I'm asking is will it be stage friendly

I don't know of any silver bullet that will allow your guitar to sound the same regardless of what system you're plugged into. The Zoom is a good pedal and if you have the access ahead of time to the PA's that you will be playing your gigs with, you can create a preset for that PA. Basically you can eq a sound within the Zoom, save it and name it "Church" or for what ever PA you have a Zoom preset to. You can save a number of presets.
The Old Lady
Goldilocks
Flipper

"Sometimes I play a song I never heard before" Thelonious Monk
Old 03-13-2017, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Pennant View Post
I don't know of any silver bullet that will allow your guitar to sound the same regardless of what system you're plugged into. The Zoom is a good pedal and if you have the access ahead of time to the PA's that you will be playing your gigs with, you can create a preset for that PA. Basically you can eq a sound within the Zoom and name it "Church" or for what ever PA you have a Zoom preset to.

I'm not expecting a silver bullet. Just a solid system to help me get my sound right quick. That feedback was helpful!! Thank you

Old 03-13-2017, 07:09 PM

Zoom A3 is a very good pedal, although a little tricky to program at first. Also, the Boss AD-2 is a nice option. The TC Helicon Bodyrez is a third pedal to consider. All will restore the missing frequencies from your pickup. Zoom is the most feature rich of the three. The TC Bodyrez is the simplest to get a good tone from of the three. Boss is somewhere in the middle.
Old 03-17-2017, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke_bl View Post

The A3 has two digital EQs (six band graphic and two band parametric) which can be used in series (graph & para or graph & graph or para & para) if needed, plus a manual Bass/Mid/Treble EQ.

You could use headphones or a flat reference monitor at home to find a good digital EQ setting for your particular guitars signal and save that EQ in a patch reserved for that particular guitar. At the gigs, you can use that patch while using the A3's manual EQ for whatever "quick & dirty" adjustments are needed for that particular gig environment.

If you only need one digital EQ to get the sound you need at home, you'll be free to use some different EFX (as opposed to a second EQ) in conjunction with the EQ. Each patch has room for two effects and a model. You can choose to bypass the models and/or one of the EFX. You could also program a patch for a complete bypass of models and EFX, if a complete bypass patch is needed.

As someone mentioned, the A3 requires a lot of study to master all the bells and whistles. Aside from that, its an excellent value.
Old 03-18-2017, 07:04 AM

I used the Zoom A3 for yrs and its got quirks. Great sounds at low volume, but high volumes on some PA's have a high pitch oscillation that can't be dialed out. It disappeared on other PA's. Now I use a Fishman Mini and DI to the PA. Always a great sound.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification