The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 01-20-2021, 03:53 PM

Default Luthier recommendations in Nebraska?

I recently purchased a 1953 Gibson Southern Jumbo. I looks like it will need some work, possibly/probably a neck reset. I'm looking for recommendations on where to take it. I googled luthiers in Nebraska and found a few in Lincoln and Omaha but I don't know anything about them. I live in central Nebraska but would be willing to drive to have the guitar fixed right.

Thanks
Old 01-20-2021, 07:25 PM
Charter Member

Don't know about Nebraska, but you said you're willing to drive... Mass Street Music in Lawrence KS has a very good reputation.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 01-20-2021, 07:59 PM

I don't have any personal experience with him, but Micah Bruce in Omaha (actually a bit south in Bellevue) has a good reputation: https://www.bruceandsons.com/

The only serious option in Lincoln is CGS Music. The guy who runs it does decent repair work: https://cgsmusic.net/. Mass Street Music is an OK option, though I've had mixed experience with their repair department. Nothing horrible, but they charge top dollar for what is often no better than average work. CGS might be just as good for less money.

Sadly, Mass Street is but a shadow of its former self.

Larry
Old 01-20-2021, 09:47 PM
Charter Member

London String Instrument repair is a family business that has been around for probably 50 years or more. They enjoyed an excellent reputation when I lived in Lincoln back in the 70s and 80s. I left Nebraska in the 1980s when I joined the Navy, so I don’t know about now.
Old 01-21-2021, 08:21 PM

Dale died 15 or so years ago. Linda carried on and kept the shop open. The shop is still there, though I haven't stopped by to see how Linda is doing these days. She's certainly worked long enough to enjoy some retirement.

Larry

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair