The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-24-2022, 10:42 PM

Default My PA won't power on unless the batteries are in it!

Hi,
I have a Chiayo Stage Pro PA speaker. It operates off either mains power or two internal lead acid batteries. I mostly use it on mains power, so I want to remove the batteries so it is lighter to carry. But unfortunately when I remove them, the PA doesn't power on.
Can somebody please tell me a way to get around this? I'm just OK with a soldering iron.
Old 06-26-2022, 12:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goog64 View Post
Hi,
I have a Chiayo Stage Pro PA speaker. It operates off either mains power or two internal lead acid batteries. I mostly use it on mains power, so I want to remove the batteries so it is lighter to carry. But unfortunately when I remove them, the PA doesn't power on.
Can somebody please tell me a way to get around this? I'm just OK with a soldering iron.
Hi goog64
My professional camera bodies don't operate without batteries in them, but there are companies who build a 'dummy' battery with an external USB solution so I can plug in an external power source to it (AC or DC).

Perhaps there is a dummy battery option? How much do the lead acid batteries weigh?

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 06-26-2022, 03:49 PM

Thanks for your reply.
My estimate is that the batteries weigh at least one third of the total weight of the PA. I would guess approx 5lb each battery.
My PA already comes with an external power supply, so I'm not sure if it's the same issue as your camera bodies, but I will Google dummy batteries, thanks.
Old 06-26-2022, 05:30 PM

The manual does state this... "2 power modes: Internal Rechargeable battery & DC jack.", which does lead to believe it could be powered by the DC jack alone(?)

It would odd, but possible it could be designed in a way that the batteries are the primary power source for the PA and it's not intended to operate on plugin power alone. You can plug the PA into a wall outlet while using it, but the power cord is simply intended to keep the batteries charged up while using it, not to really power the PA.

If the batteries are dead or almost dead, does the PA power on?

There appears to be an optional lithium battery for the PA. The manual stated the lithium battery is 'lightweight' and only one is used instead of the two lead acid batteries. I tried to find the lithium battery online and had no luck.

p/n:12W0045
Rechargeable lithium battery
Specs: 25.9V 7.8Ah
Old 06-26-2022, 06:13 PM

Thanks so much MarkF_48 for going to all that trouble. I am starting to think that it has been designed to operate in the odd way that you describe, although it is a 5 amp power brick, which I would have thought is enough current to power the amp without the batteries.
I don't know what happens when the batteries die, but yes I am worried about the possibility that the amp won't power on from the wall when the batteries are no good.
I also Googled the lithium battery and couldn't find anything, so I'm glad it wasn't just me.
I still like the idea of "tricking" the PA to think that there is a battery inside so that I can just power it from the wall without batteries.
Old 06-26-2022, 06:35 PM

As far as a replacement batteries when needed, you shouldn't have too much of a problem, as they seem to be fairly common. Just measure the size of the old one to ensure a fit. Look for one with good ratings also.
https://www.amazon.com/12-volt-5-amp...+5+amp+battery
Old 06-26-2022, 06:55 PM

Thanks MarkF 🙏
Old 06-27-2022, 12:39 AM
Charter Member

My jbl eon one pro wouldn’t power one when the battery died, had to get a new battery to use even on electric power
Old 06-27-2022, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaneh View Post
My jbl eon one pro wouldn’t power one when the battery died, had to get a new battery to use even on electric power
Thanks for letting me know that. I asked at the Bose forum, and apparently their S1 Pro will work without the batteries in it.
Old 06-27-2022, 08:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goog64 View Post
…My PA already comes with an external power supply, so I'm not sure if it's the same issue as your camera bodies, but I will Google dummy batteries, thanks.
Hi g64

I'd be looking for a competent guitar amp repair person and see if they can rewire it to do what you want, with perhaps a switch to activate that second (empty compartment) mode.

No need to carry around unwanted/needed batteries or weight.

Otherwise, you may need to draft some healthy young eager assistants to help carry in the gear.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 06-27-2022, 03:35 PM

Good idea, thank you 🙏
Old 06-27-2022, 03:53 PM

It might be interesting to email Chiayo and ask them if the PA can be operated without the batteries installed and just the DC jack. Include the excerpt from their website.....

"2 power modes: Internal Rechargeable battery & DC jack."

http://www.chiayo.com.tw/english/contact.html
Old 06-27-2022, 09:41 PM

Well, here is the reply from Chiayo:

"Dear John :
Good day, glad to hear you ordered our Stage Pro.
Would you kindly inform us the serial No. on this units you had ? That we may inform you the seller in your country to make after service for you soon.
If you want use the DC Jack charging for Stage Pro : that you may use the switching power as below photo to contact with DC JACK on the Stage Pro".

And then there is a diagram showing where to put the plug in 😂.
I've written back.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification