The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

View Poll Results: Longest you've waited for a guitar ordered/commissioned
Less than one month 4 4.71%
Between one month and 3 months 5 5.88%
Between 3 months and 6 months 11 12.94%
Between 6 months and 1 year 27 31.76%
Over 1 year 37 43.53%
Cancelled it after I ordered it because of wait time 1 1.18%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-19-2021, 07:42 AM

Default Longest you waited for a Guitar you ordered/commissioned?

What's the longest you waited for a Guitar you ordered from a store or commissioned as a build? Often we know ahead of time of the expected wait but sometimes the wait time gets extended.

Have you ever cancelled an order because of added wait time?

How about guitars you were ready to buy and willing to wait a month (or whatever time frame) only to find out that the wait time was going to be too long?

Perhaps you're still waiting?

Last edited by Dru Edwards; 09-19-2021 at 10:17 AM. Reason: clarified ordering from a store.
Old 09-19-2021, 07:58 AM

Looking forward to seeing the results of this poll, Dru. I see I am not alone. (still waiting... but have been promised that completion is imminent!)

Rick
Old 09-19-2021, 07:59 AM
Charter Member

…I’m actually still waiting for a Kopp I put a deposit down on six moths ago….expected delivery is November/December 2022…. I’m glad Kevin’s doing well and the wait is no problem for me….keeps me gas free….
Old 09-19-2021, 08:16 AM

You need to add some choices at the longer end. 3 months is about as fast as commissioned guitar can be made. There is much waiting time involved when the builder can do nothing else on it: waiting for glue to dry, and - much longer - waiting for a finish to cure.

I once had one go many, many months past the promised date. In fact weeks, even months would go by with no communication from the person at the other end. Then, after it was done, he held onto it for 3 months before sending it my way. An excruciating process. But that's one person, one with a variety of personal problems. I was warned before I started and chose to ignore it. Got a great instrument as a result, but one I cannot bond with as I cannot get the birthing difficulties out of my mind.

One is wise to expect delays when getting a handmade instrument. Things happen that were not initially counted on and it's no big deal as long as the line of communications is clear. My Appollonio and my Hatcher were made exactly on schedule. My Kinnaird was held up for 2 extra months at the finisher (who he stopped using after that). The Leach came in very close to the expected date. The one I am getting next will be delayed quite a bit, maybe 4 months after I had initially hoped for, but he is an excellent communicator and I understand and can go along with the reasons. The thing is not to expect it will arrive when originally scheduled, but to be pleasantly surprised if it does.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.

Last edited by The Bard Rocks; 09-19-2021 at 08:22 AM.
Old 09-19-2021, 08:38 AM

I commissioned a guitar where the waiting time was 2 years. He started it almost to the day he projected. We spent the time working out what I really wanted and I've enjoyed every minute. And I'm the two years out took to get to mine, his wait increased to 4 years! I'm counting myself lucky.
Old 09-19-2021, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Patrick View Post
…I’m actually still waiting for a Kopp I put a deposit down on six moths ago….expected delivery is November/December 2022…. I’m glad Kevin’s doing well and the wait is no problem for me….keeps me gas free….
Same with my recent Pre-War order. It's going to be a 1.5 year wait, but it will keep my mind off acquiring other guitars and (hopefully) increase my practice time

Breedlove Masterclass Dread - Sitka/Koa
Breedlove Masterclass Concert - Sitka/BRW
Seagull Artist Deluxe CE
Seagull Artist Element
Furch G22CR-C

Several other exceptional guitars, but these make me smile and keep me inspired!
Old 09-19-2021, 09:53 AM
Charter Member

I have had 6 commissioned guitars and all were close to a year wait.
Old 09-19-2021, 10:20 AM

Thanks for your comment. I clarified my initial post. I meant ordering from a store or commissioning a build.

That must be a terrible feeling when not getting responses from a luthier on a guitar that's past the delivery date. Sounds like you got a great guitar but with a somewhat bad taste based on the history... sorry to hear that. Do you think you'll sell it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bard Rocks View Post
You need to add some choices at the longer end. 3 months is about as fast as commissioned guitar can be made. There is much waiting time involved when the builder can do nothing else on it: waiting for glue to dry, and - much longer - waiting for a finish to cure.

I once had one go many, many months past the promised date. In fact weeks, even months would go by with no communication from the person at the other end. Then, after it was done, he held onto it for 3 months before sending it my way. An excruciating process. But that's one person, one with a variety of personal problems. I was warned before I started and chose to ignore it. Got a great instrument as a result, but one I cannot bond with as I cannot get the birthing difficulties out of my mind.

One is wise to expect delays when getting a handmade instrument. Things happen that were not initially counted on and it's no big deal as long as the line of communications is clear. My Appollonio and my Hatcher were made exactly on schedule. My Kinnaird was held up for 2 extra months at the finisher (who he stopped using after that). The Leach came in very close to the expected date. The one I am getting next will be delayed quite a bit, maybe 4 months after I had initially hoped for, but he is an excellent communicator and I understand and can go along with the reasons. The thing is not to expect it will arrive when originally scheduled, but to be pleasantly surprised if it does.
Old 09-19-2021, 11:19 AM
Charter Member

I admire the patience of many members here. I’ve commissioned two builds in 10 years — one from Martin which took the usual 6 months, and the other from Collings which took ~ 5 months. I will never again wait for a guitar. There are too many fish in the sea and I’ve gotten to a point where I don’t like to have my options limited. Like if I played something in person I really wanted but had to pass because “I put a deposit down on a new build several months ago and still have another year to wait,” that would crush me.

So I’ve decided that scenario is not ever going to happen to me.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 09-19-2021, 11:26 AM
Charter Member

Coming up on a year later this month... expecting it to be started in November or early December.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 09-19-2021, 11:29 AM

I've ordered guitars with waitlists ranging from 2 to 4 years. I clearly understood that the delivery estimate what just that: a ballpark estimate and not a promise to deliver in 26 months, two weeks, eight hours and thirteen minutes.

One would of been on time but the builder commented that he was also trying to finish some spec guitars to show at Healdsberg, so I told him to set mine aside and then finish it after the festival (It was about 6 months late) Others were late. Communications are key, and unfortunately many talented builders are not particularity equally talented as businessmen. There is a term: "luthier time" that can draw some knowing glances.

I got my Froggy Bottom to play during the 3+ year waitlist for my first McAlister. Still have the Froggy. Still have the Mac too, as they had different enough voices to be worth keeping both.

There are classical builders, by comparison, with 10 year waitlists. Your deposit reserves you a place on the list, and when your slot comes up, the builder contacts you, you discuss what you want and they give you the price for that instrument. If you no longer want the guitar, they move to the next person on the list.
Old 09-19-2021, 11:58 AM

The longer the waiting time.... is a good indicator of a special guitar. If ordering from a single luthier, you have to remember that they are just like you and I, things happen, illness, family problems, need of a holiday, supply problems etc...

Those in high demand often have 2-4 year waiting lists and with that timing, its often an estimate etc, but good things come to those who wait

If waiting is not your thing, plenty of decent off the shelf instruments these days to, so we are really lucky to live in the real golden age - fantastic array of luthiers building amazing instruments at all price points, and the big brands having upped their game to make sure they can still compete!
Old 09-19-2021, 12:20 PM

I currently have one that will not get started until sometime next year and I ordered the build last year. So, likely somewhere near a 2 year wait. I have one that I ordered early this year and it got started and delivered within about 7 months.

I have no problems with the wait as I know that going in and placing an order. I've got other guitars to enjoy playing while waiting. As someone above mentioned, having one on order removes GAS. No longer looking, for now, anyway...
Old 09-19-2021, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Thanks for your comment. I clarified my initial post. I meant ordering from a store or commissioning a build.

That must be a terrible feeling when not getting responses from a luthier on a guitar that's past the delivery date. Sounds like you got a great guitar but with a somewhat bad taste based on the history... sorry to hear that. Do you think you'll sell it?
Yes, I would. I do not play it nearly as much as it deserves. Arguably, it might be my best guitar. If you want to know more, we can to that privately.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 09-19-2021, 04:02 PM
Charter Member

Still, and will always be, waiting for my Omega. RIP, Kevin. Just wish I could have gotten my materials shipped to me.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion