The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-16-2021, 02:58 PM

Default Bridge Pins…Really Make A Difference?

Do you guys think end pin types REALLY make any difference in the tone of a guitar?
(Note: I edited the thread title from “end pins” to “bridge pins” which is what I really meant to say. Sorry bout that amigos)

Last edited by Wadcutter; 09-16-2021 at 03:50 PM.
Old 09-16-2021, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadcutter View Post
Do you guys think end pin types REALLY make any difference in the tone of a guitar?
If you believe it will, then it will.

"If you try to play like someone else, Who will play like you". Quote from Johnny Gimble

The only musician I have to impress today is the musician I was yesterday.

No tubes, No capos, No Problems.
Old 09-16-2021, 03:24 PM

Wadcutter, are you talking about the pins that hold the strings in place in the bridge or the pins that go into the end of the guitar, which some players hang a strap from? Technically, it’s the latter that are end pins, and they have no impact on the sound.

The pins in the bridge are the bridge pins, and they can have an impact on the sound. Whether it’s desirable to alter the sound with bridge pins is a matter of personal preference.

whm
Old 09-16-2021, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Wadcutter, are you talking about the pins that hold the strings in place in the bridge or the pins that go into the end of the guitar, which some players hang a strap from? Technically, it’s the latter that are end pins, and they have no impact on the sound.

The pins in the bridge are the bridge pins, and they can have an impact on the sound. Whether it’s desirable to alter the sound with bridge pins is a matter of personal preference.

whm
Sorry Wade, I meant the pins that hold the strings in. Didn’t make myself too clear there.
Old 09-16-2021, 03:42 PM
Charter Member

Default Bridge pins

Quote:
Yes I do. I think the difference is subtle. I believe bone pins give me the best volume/ tone.
I find ebony pins to be pretty neutral and a good go-to particularly on bright guitars.
I don’t like plastic, and I have not tried the liquid metal pins because I don’t like how they look.
Old 09-16-2021, 03:43 PM
Charter Member

Absolutely. No question.

-Award-winning songwriter/guitarist, Visual storyteller
-D’Addario, G7th and K&K Sound Artist
-Music on Spotify, Apple Music and YouTube: www.youtube.com/dustinfurlow
-New album "Serene" (Oct '23) and tablature
available at www.dustinfurlow.com
Old 09-16-2021, 03:44 PM

Quote:
An end pin that you plug a quarter inch jack into will sound different when plugged into an amp, compared to an end pin that is just a solid piece of bone, ebony or plastic.

Bridge pins... bah it is a bunch of hooey - I'm all for dressing up guitars for aesthetics though. Actually I dipped some bright white bridge pins in coffee for two days, and they came out sounding darker but somehow more alert.... I swear to God.
Old 09-16-2021, 03:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
You have nearly 6,000 posts, so you're a regular - have you not read any of the dozens of posts on this subject? Sorry, but do we really need another thread about bridge pins?
Old 09-16-2021, 04:02 PM

Here's how I always think of these questions: there are many variables that contribute to an acoustic guitar's sound.

IF, and only if it could be scientifically proven that bridge pins make a difference, they are not in the top three, five, or more other variables on the list.

So worry about nos. 1 thru x first. Then if you're sure you've addressed all those, get the expensive bridge pins.
Old 09-16-2021, 04:08 PM

I had added Ryan Titanium bridge pins to a Goodall Grand Concert and it didn’t really change the tone (at least it didn’t seem to), but it definitely improved the sustain...
Old 09-16-2021, 04:10 PM

Bats maybe, humans not a chance if you commute underground.
Old 09-16-2021, 04:27 PM

Yes, everything makes a difference. But not the same difference on all guitars, some will have a tiny difference. Even on a guitar with a larger difference it will still be very subtle. And I'm assuming you have ears to hear the difference. If you're one of the players who think all guitars on videos sound the same, then no difference at all.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 09-16-2021, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman1951 View Post
Yes, everything makes a difference. But not the same difference on all guitars, some will have a tiny difference. Even on a guitar with a larger difference it will still be very subtle. And I'm assuming you have ears to hear the difference. If you're one of the players who think all guitars on videos sound the same, then no difference at all.
This is my experience too.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 09-16-2021, 05:08 PM
Charter Member

Let me just put this put there.
Martin (and possibly Gibson -remember them?) supply their guitars with basic, plastic pins which do not add or distract from tonal quality.

Collings supply their standard models with ebony bridg pins ... in ebony bridges . which I see as neutral - why do they do this? because (I'd suggest) because Collings have worked very hard to build evenly balanced instruments and did not choose to effect the product by using pins (or anything else) od deiifering densities.

I own four Collings instruments. None of them still have the ebony pins.
Why? Because I like bone pins in an ebony bridge. i.e. looks.

However !!! Whilst I mostly buy locally supplied bone pins, I have two sets of Fossilised Walrus pins bought from Bob Colosi.
Frankly, they look like they've been made of bad teeth, but seem to look cool in my sunburst DS1ASB and my 0002h.

Funny thing ...I "perceived" a slightly purer treble tonality with, perhaps a little more sustain. this wasn't what I was seeking, as I was satisfied with the guitars from the outset, but I welcome it.

Conclusion - some (good) guitars "may" benefit, slightly, from a change of the dnsity of bridge pins, and many will not.

Change them if you fancy a different colour.
If you feel the need to improve the tone of your guitar ... consider changing the guitar ... not the pins.

It's late ... and so to bed.
Old 09-16-2021, 05:13 PM
Charter Member

I found that on my two smaller guitars, a 00 and a folk, that putting in brass bridge pins affected the tone. I hated the look of them after about a week and put them in my guitar stuff junk draw.

On my larger guitars its just what pins I like to look at. I prefer ebony with abalone dots.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion