The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-12-2021, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotchnspeed View Post
Given the box size is roughly equivalent to the GC, this doesn't seem an unrealistic expectation to me at all. The physics problem is the parlor scale on a full sized body (and leftover unproven junk wood, etc, but won't get too much into that).

Is the GT considered a parlor? To me it seems closer to an OM at 15” width and 18” body length.

Also, short scale doesn’t always translate to bad sound as I’ve owned 3 now and loved them all tonally- actually prefer their tone even.
Old 09-12-2021, 08:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
Is the GT considered a parlor? To me it seems closer to an OM at 15” width and 18” body length.

Also, short scale doesn’t always translate to bad sound as I’ve owned 3 now and loved them all tonally- actually prefer their tone even.
Not at all. Short scales can be great...just not parlor short scale on an equivalent OM body like the GT. It was a halfhearted idea, in my opinion.
Old 09-13-2021, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Not at all. Short scales can be great...just not parlor short scale on an equivalent OM body like the GT. It was a halfhearted idea, in my opinion.
I didn't realize there was a parlor scale, what exactly is that? I'm just confused as I've also seen a full 25.5" scale on actual parlor bodies, as well as sub 25" on OM sized bodies and many of them have sounded quite good to me.

But what do I know? You do have some fine taste in guitars so I'm certainly no cognoscente of those finer details.
Old 09-13-2021, 10:55 AM

......................GT..............................GC......................OM 12-fret……………GS Mini
Scale Length: ...24 1/8 Inches..........24 7/8 Inches.........25.4 Inches........……23 1/2 Inches
Body Width: …..15 inches..................15 Inches……………..15 Inches................14 3/8 Inches
Body Depth: …..3 3/4 Inches.............4 3/8 Inches………….4 1/16 Inches.............4 7/16 Inches
Body Length: …18 1/2 Inches…………….19 1/2 Inches………20 7/8 Inches...........17 5/8 Inches
Old 09-13-2021, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Not at all. Short scales can be great...just not parlor short scale on an equivalent OM body like the GT. ...

What determines the optimum scale for a given body size? Why is a 24 1/8-inch scale too short for a 18-1/2 inch by 15-inch by 3 3/4-inch guitar?
Old 09-17-2021, 02:22 PM

Default I wanted to love it...

I bought and returned the Urban Ash earlier this year. It checked all my boxes on paper until I unboxed it. The neck was off so some of the strings sounded flat. And the tone just didn't do it for me at that price. So I was going to just get a GS mini but wound up buying a used A&L parlor and love it. Still looking for a solid wood parlor though.
Old 09-17-2021, 02:28 PM

We've all been disappointed by guitars we thought we were going to like. I was suppressed when, after weeks of hunting for one, I didn't like the Martin DJR-10 I tried. Much preferred the GS Mini. I came back here and said so, and a bunch of people told me I was wrong. lol. Oh well, they're my ears, so I bought the GS Mini.

Gonna go play a Martin D-16 and an Eastman E-20D next. I expect I will like the Eastman more. But we'll see, though, won't we?
Eastman MD-514 Mandolin - spruce & maple
Kentucky KM-250 Mandolin - spruce & maple
Old 09-17-2021, 04:28 PM
Charter Member

@steelvibe,

I too was disappointed by the GT Urban Ash when playing in store. I went with the Martin Dread Jr and saved 900.00 and for me, it was not even close. Here was my post regarding my experience....

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=625176
Old 09-20-2021, 11:27 AM

Looks like my experience is counter to most of the posts in this thread. I went to Sweetwater looking to buy an acoustic preamp/effects pedal for my current guitars (including 2 Taylors). I had absolutely NO intention of buying a guitar on this trip. I had to pull a guitar from the wall to try out several of the preamps. During the process of testing I tried a few different Taylors (wanted something with the ES-2 pickup to most closely match what I have on my guitars at home). I happened to grab the GT Urban Ash and was immediately drawn to it. The feel was fantastic, and the sound was just a great. Acoustically, it was spot on - sounded balanced to me. Plugged in it was impressive as well, as expected just a little bright (rolling back the treble just a little tamed it right down). I decided which preamp I wanted and made the purchase. My daughter (also a guitar player) and I went and had a cup of coffee. I just couldn't get that guitar out of my mind - it played and sounded so well! I ended up going back and playing it again, and ended up buying it too. I already had an 814ce DLX and a GS Mini Rosewood. The GT seems to sit in that sweet spot for size, scale length, etc. for me. Of all of my guitars, its the one that gets the most use now by far. I'm very happy with it.
Ovation CS257 Celebrity Deluxe
Epiphone PR-350
Kramer 450G
Gretsch G2622

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion