The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-04-2021, 07:45 PM
Charter Member

When I was growing up, my older brother had a toy called the Vac-U-Form.

Maybe if something like this could be made to build CF guitars, individual builders might have a shot at getting the quality and consistency that the big guys have now with their expensive tooling and rock solid processes and work flows.

Tony
Old 09-05-2021, 07:47 AM
Guest 928

I appears to be the case that if you take the time, materials and energy to build one CF guitar (and the guitar is good) then you might as well keep going and make a bunch.
Old 09-05-2021, 10:55 AM
Charter Member

I think that is true - and you need to build a number of them to justify the tooling expense. Building a guitar with sticks takes as long for the second one as the first. Building the first carbon will take *far* longer because of the needed tooling, however building the second is much cheaper.

Still, current state of the art carbon layup is not a very automated process, unlike the above mentioned blow molding or injection molding. There are some interesting fringe 3D printing processes that use carbon fiber, and allow innovative structures (like honeycomb cores) that may be some day adaptable.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber