The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-24-2021, 04:07 PM
Charter Member

Default X7 folks, what strings are you using?

After one day with my new X7, my poor fingers are really sore, and yes I do have callouses. I have not played/used medium strings on any of the guitars I have owned, so these mediums are taking some getting used to.

I like Thomastik Infeld Spectrum Bronze 11-52 on my Huss & Dalton 000 12 fret and GHS Silk and Bronze 11-49 on my Taylor 322e 12 fret.

Is anyone using 10's or 11's on their X7, if so what are you using. I am thinking the GHS Silk and Bronze may be a good choice.

What say you?
TIA for the advice.

EDIT...I tried the search but came up empty handed.

Last edited by Godfather; 08-24-2021 at 04:30 PM.
Old 08-24-2021, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
After one day with my new X7, my poor fingers are really sore, and yes I do have callouses. I have not played/used medium strings on any of the guitars I have owned, so these mediums are taking some getting used to.

I like Thomastik Infeld Spectrum Bronze 11-52 on my Huss & Dalton 000 12 fret and GHS Silk and Bronze 11-49 on my Taylor 322e 12 fret.

Is anyone using 10's or 11's on their X7, if so what are you using. I am thinking the GHS Silk and Bronze may be a good choice.

What say you?
TIA for the advice.
I've not played an X7 but I've heard Retros and Sunbeams are a great choice. With that 24" scale I'd be concerned with the Silk and Bronze getting too floppy. Having said that I LOVE GHS. You might look at Thin Cores in a medium gauge as other than the B and e they feel like most other light sets. GHS Vintage Bronze light set are also fantastic strings that are shockingly mellow for an 85/15 blend.
Old 08-24-2021, 08:37 PM

I have Martin Retro 12s on my X7 and like them thus far. Have not tried 11s or 10s on the guitar.
Old 08-25-2021, 12:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
I've not played an X7 but I've heard Retros and Sunbeams are a great choice. With that 24" scale I'd be concerned with the Silk and Bronze getting too floppy. Having said that I LOVE GHS. You might look at Thin Cores in a medium gauge as other than the B and e they feel like most other light sets. GHS Vintage Bronze light set are also fantastic strings that are shockingly mellow for an 85/15 blend.
I had an X7 and Retros and Sunbeams were my favorite strings on it, with Sunbeams ultimately winning me over on that one. I tried 13s and thought they choked on that little guitar. 12s sounded MUCH better IMHO. I wouldn’t go with 11s on such a short scale - they’d probably sound fine, but just too light to feel right.

-Ray
Old 08-25-2021, 10:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
After one day with my new X7, my poor fingers are really sore, and yes I do have callouses.

I'll take that X7 off your hands so you can feel better.
Old 08-25-2021, 11:20 AM

Quote:

What say you?
TIA for the advice.

I put Plectrum 11-50 on my X7 and was absolutely floored with how different (in a good way) they were from any other string tried. These are the only silky strings I have tried, and will try another brand next time (soon) but will have to be VERY pleased or will go back to the pricey ones.
Old 08-25-2021, 12:54 PM

i don't own a x7 but an x20 with the scale lenght of an x7 and, as @Jim in TC, I love Thomastik Infeld Plectrum 11-50, which are also low tension (a benefit for your fingers) and flat wound. I will try other strings set too (DR Sunbeams, SIT Silencers) but I always have a fresh kit of Plectrum ready.
Old 08-25-2021, 02:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redi View Post
I'll take that X7 off your hands so you can feel better.
So generous an offer, but I will decline.
Thank you any way🤣🤣🤣
Old 08-25-2021, 06:21 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for the suggestions.
I just placed an order with AGF sponsor, and my "go to", Strings By Mail.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber