The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-17-2021, 02:08 PM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY
Default Emerald doesn't want to work with me anymore

A couple of years ago I ordered an X10 that I returned (felt too big) Last year I ordered an X7 that I returned.(felt too small, especially scale length). I was thinking a slimline with a 25" scale length might be just right. I wrote Emerald asking whether they could build an X10 slimline with a 25" scale. Here's what Alistair wrote back:

"I know they have spent extensive time in the past trying to answer all your questions in the hope of being able to provide you the right instrument but they now feel they cant provide you what you need.

I do wish we could build you the guitar that is right for you but I wonder if perhaps Emerald just isnt the right choice.

I think you have very specific requirements that we as a team unfortunately cannot deliver.

I am sorry but we would prefer to not go down this road a third time with you.
I hope you can understand our position."

If I could actually play an Emerald before buying I wouldn't have to be asking so many questions. I would know what they feel/sound/play like. Emerald's are not inexpensive instruments.

I kind of do understand their position. I know I asked a lot of questions in the past. I don't remember what they were.

Oh well. Guess I won't be buying an Emerald. I've been banned.

This post is not to drag Emerald through the mud. I needed to share and what better place than the AGF. They still make great guitars. Just not for me.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon

Last edited by KarenB; 08-17-2021 at 02:39 PM.
Old 08-17-2021, 02:18 PM

I completely understand their position.
Old 08-17-2021, 02:48 PM
Guest 928

It sounds to me like Alistair is being candid and transparent. Also sounds like you're taking it well.

Lots of people would like to walk into a store and play a batch of Emerald guitars, but that's not going to happen. I've been through six Emerald guitars but they've all been custom works and while there have been some things I did not like they resulted from my order, were my fault and my responsibility. And there's this: the reason I went through six Emeralds is the same reason I've been through over 50 guitars--searching for the ideal instrument, like searching for the holy grail is a never ending travel (or travail).
Old 08-17-2021, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latentaudio View Post
I completely understand their position.
Me too. Totally agree.

Martin OOO-10E
Bristol BB-16

Over a dozen ukuleles.

My YouTube channel- https://youtube.com/c/VicSchmeltz
Old 08-17-2021, 03:19 PM

Yea, that's a shame. But I get where Alistair is coming from. That is a lot of hassle and expense to build a guitar and ship it overseas, the having to take it back on a return. Having already returned 2, he probably figured the likelihood of next one being returned would be pretty high. From a business perspective, his decision makes sense.
Old 08-17-2021, 03:21 PM
Charter Member

Wow, KB... I'm really sorry to hear that. Well, you haven't been banned here, so I hope you'll keep us informed about the next guitar you decide to pursue.

Best of luck... hope you find it.
Old 08-17-2021, 03:45 PM
Charter Member

I think you would probably get the same response from any guitar builder given the circumstances.
Old 08-17-2021, 03:50 PM
Charter Member

never mind, I was wrong. It’s a bummer for both parties.
That said, I would still sell you a guitar. Maybe I would alter the exchange policy, or find a demo model.

Last edited by cliff_the_stiff; 08-17-2021 at 08:16 PM. Reason: deleted ill-informed comment
Old 08-17-2021, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenB View Post
A couple of years ago I ordered an X10 that I returned (felt too big) Last year I ordered an X7 that I returned.(felt too small, especially scale length). I was thinking a slimline with a 25" scale length might be just right. I wrote Emerald asking whether they could build an X10 slimline with a 25" scale. Here's what Alistair wrote back:

"I know they have spent extensive time in the past trying to answer all your questions in the hope of being able to provide you the right instrument but they now feel they cant provide you what you need.

I do wish we could build you the guitar that is right for you but I wonder if perhaps Emerald just isnt the right choice.

I think you have very specific requirements that we as a team unfortunately cannot deliver.

I am sorry but we would prefer to not go down this road a third time with you.
I hope you can understand our position."

If I could actually play an Emerald before buying I wouldn't have to be asking so many questions. I would know what they feel/sound/play like. Emerald's are not inexpensive instruments.

I kind of do understand their position. I know I asked a lot of questions in the past. I don't remember what they were.

Oh well. Guess I won't be buying an Emerald. I've been banned.

This post is not to drag Emerald through the mud. I needed to share and what better place than the AGF. They still make great guitars. Just not for me.
What guitar are you playing now?
2008 Taylor 814CE
2020 Emerald X-30
Old 08-17-2021, 05:22 PM
Charter Member

Cliff, jKlotz--The first two weren't custom.

jdrnd--I alternate between a Yamaha APX7, a Guild T-100 semi hollow electric, and a Santa Cruz Model H.

Thanks to all for your thoughts and input.

I tend to ask a lot of questions..about everything. Not just guitars or guitar related things.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 08-17-2021, 05:30 PM

Having dealt with Emerald I suspect they are fine with the questions. They are more likely looking at a situation where the 2 potential models they have didn'tt meet your requirements combined with their stated direction of moving away from a lot of unique custom work. I would not take it personal in any way...just mho
Old 08-17-2021, 05:32 PM
Charter Member

Thanks new2guitar. That sounds reasonable.
Old 08-17-2021, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenB View Post

jdrnd--I alternate between a Yamaha APX7, a Guild T-100 semi hollow electric, and a Santa Cruz Model H.
A Santa Cruz Model H is a great guitar. No wonder the Emeralds didn't meet your expectations.
2008 Taylor 814CE
2020 Emerald X-30
Old 08-17-2021, 06:18 PM
Charter Member

jdrnd--The Emeralds and Santa Cruz are different animals. It's like comparing apples to oranges. They both are tasty in their own way.
Old 08-17-2021, 07:41 PM

I've fired a few customers myself.

I do understand their position. He is concerned about a large expenditure of resources and money, when the track record is one of no gain. A business isn't in business to spend money and not get anything in return . That's a charity.

That said, perhaps you could fly over to Ireland and take a personal tour and try them out! I'd love to have done that myself, but of course not an option.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber