The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 09-30-2020, 06:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post
For some reason it's making me think of Neapolitan ice cream… But there's no pistachio in that is there?

Yummy stuff

Paul
I think you are thinking of Spumoni Ice Cream. It too is underrated in my book.

Bruce, your Uke looks delicious too!
Old 10-01-2020, 10:50 PM
Charter Member

Greetings. I have not reported in on my new Sexauer Carpathian Spruce/ European Pear JB-15, which I have had for just about a month. This was on purpose, as I wanted to give the little beauty time to open up some. My first Sexauer - a shallow 00 Bruce calls a "couch noodler" but I call "Lotus #1" was very special from the get-go, and has gotten even more awesome. Terrific little guitar. The JB-15 - "Lotus #2 - sounded very good (it's a Sexauer, after all) but it seemed like it would reveal itself more slowly over time. And it has. And I think it will continue to evolve a bunch. If it continues to get better at a similar pace to the last few weeks, it may well be headed for guitar perfection. At the risk of being even more annoyingly hyperbolic, it might be a masterpiece. When it was first born, it lacked a little fullness in the mid to lower registers and clarity in the bass, so it has been very gratifying to see those conditions evaporate. Now, pretty much every time I pick up either of the two Lotuses, I think "Wow, what a wonderful guitar". Lotus #2: Delicate and sensitive, but with a little growl and some power, pretty near flawless balance and clarity, wonderful tone. Unique character - awesome in a different way than any of my other guitars. The kind of guitar that elicits emotion in me immediately.

Bruce is building GREAT guitars right now. In my (perhaps pedestrian) opinion, recognizing that everyone has their own preferences, among the very best. Order one now, or he might get bored and decide to become a professional cyclist and then we will all be poorer.

Last edited by TomB'sox; 10-01-2020 at 11:37 PM. Reason: masked mild profanity blocked by AGF software
Old 10-02-2020, 05:34 AM

Jamie,

Thanks for sharing your month-in reflections. Not surprised at the result though! I truly hope for the chance to play one of his masterpieces myself someday. I can’t even fathom owning two! Congrats and enjoy both Lotuses!
Old 10-02-2020, 12:07 PM
Charter Member

Guitars certainly do evolve over their first few weeks if life after being initially being stringed. I also typically try my “go to” string sets to see if PB, 80/20 of Monel are working best on a instrument (different guitars like different strings). While I was somewhat curious at not hearing from you here on AGF after receiving the guitar; having just received my 5th Sexauer guitar (my Oregon Myrtle/Red Spruce 000), I know firsthand that Bruce is building some of the best guitars to ever come of his bench. I had confidence you had to eventually surface expressing your delight...

Congratulations...

I also concur that Bruce is building some outstanding instruments (In fact, some of the best that I have ever played, and I have played quite a few). Bruce will be 74 years old next March. While he has communicated no plan to hang up his chisels, people who have been on the “fence” about ordering a guitar from him should get off that “fence” before that day arrives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamiejoon View Post
Greetings. I have not reported in on my new Sexauer Carpathian Spruce/ European Pear JB-15, which I have had for just about a month. This was on purpose, as I wanted to give the little beauty time to open up some. My first Sexauer - a shallow 00 Bruce calls a "couch noodler" but I call "Lotus #1" was very special from the get-go, and has gotten even more awesome. Terrific little guitar. The JB-15 - "Lotus #2 - sounded very good (it's a Sexauer, after all) but it seemed like it would reveal itself more slowly over time. And it has. And I think it will continue to evolve a bunch. If it continues to get better at a similar pace to the last few weeks, it may well be headed for guitar perfection. At the risk of being even more annoyingly hyperbolic, it might be a masterpiece. When it was first born, it lacked a little fullness in the mid to lower registers and clarity in the bass, so it has been very gratifying to see those conditions evaporate. Now, pretty much every time I pick up either of the two Lotuses, I think "Wow, what a wonderful guitar". Lotus #2: Delicate and sensitive, but with a little growl and some power, pretty near flawless balance and clarity, wonderful tone. Unique character - awesome in a different way than any of my other guitars. The kind of guitar that elicits emotion in me immediately.

Bruce is building GREAT guitars right now. In my (perhaps pedestrian) opinion, recognizing that everyone has their own preferences, among the very best. Order one now, or he might get bored and decide to become a professional cyclist and then we will all be poorer.
Old 10-03-2020, 07:54 PM
AGF Sponsor

In the next couple of days I will finally string up the pretty traditional almost style 18 single 0 I made in August. Here are the installed tuners and the freshly minted ebony Pyramid bridge:

Old 10-04-2020, 08:14 AM

Bruce, did you change anything with how you are posting pictures? When some people said they could not see them a few posts back, I saw those fine, but the pistachio and this last set are not coming through for me.

I only say it, because if others are in the same boat with me, we are losing out by not seeing what you have there.

Tom
Old 10-04-2020, 08:47 AM
Charter Member

I can see all of his pictures.
Old 10-04-2020, 08:54 AM

That is so weird, so could I before, but not this last set...?
Old 10-04-2020, 09:02 AM

Beautiful lines on the bridge, Bruce. What are your thoughts on the string hole alignment? I see various configurations.
Old 10-04-2020, 10:06 AM
AGF Sponsor

I host my own pictures at Dreamhost.com where my Domains are kept. Exactly as I have been doing for approaching 20 years. As far as I know, nothing whatsoever has changed.

Traditionally, Martin Pyramid bridges have the pin holes in line parallel to and a fairly close to the back edge of the bridge. My own pin holes are in a line, but parallel to the saddle slot. Otherwise, my rendition of the pyramid is closer to a 20’s Martin than most I’ve seen. My bridges are entirely hand made, one at a time to suit each instrument’s unique Geometry. Sometimes the initial placement of the pin hole drifts a bit in the drilling, and I compensate by eye when reaming them. The sharp eyed among you may notice that the D hole in this bridge is a bit behind the line, but it won’t be when I’m done. Virtually every part of my process is similar in this way, being what I once heard someone refer to as “correctable results”, or what I call “the art process”.

Last edited by Bruce Sexauer; 10-04-2020 at 10:14 AM.
Old 10-05-2020, 12:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treenewt View Post
Jamie,

Thanks for sharing your month-in reflections. Not surprised at the result though! I truly hope for the chance to play one of his masterpieces myself someday. I can’t even fathom owning two! Congrats and enjoy both Lotuses!
Thanks TN. Yes, I consider myself extremely lucky to own two of Bruce's guitars, especially ones built at this point in his career.
Old 10-05-2020, 12:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 View Post
Guitars certainly do evolve over their first few weeks if life after being initially being stringed. I also typically try my “go to” string sets to see if PB, 80/20 of Monel are working best on a instrument (different guitars like different strings). While I was somewhat curious at not hearing from you here on AGF after receiving the guitar; having just received my 5th Sexauer guitar (my Oregon Myrtle/Red Spruce 000), I know firsthand that Bruce is building some of the best guitars to ever come of his bench. I had confidence you had to eventually surface expressing your delight...

Congratulations...

I also concur that Bruce is building some outstanding instruments (In fact, some of the best that I have ever played, and I have played quite a few). Bruce will be 74 years old next March. While he has communicated no plan to hang up his chisels, people who have been on the “fence” about ordering a guitar from him should get off that “fence” before that day arrives.
Hi Bob, I really love that Myrtle 000 of yours. I was prepared to buy it on the spot when I played it at Bruce's shop, if you had any reservations about the purchase. Gorgeous sounding instrument. I feel very lucky that my two Lotuses share such a strong familial resemblance to yours. Bruce is hitting them into the cheap seats these days.
Old 10-05-2020, 05:13 PM
AGF Sponsor

I really appreciate the acknowledgement my work is getting here, especially as it is from those who are most qualified to know!!! Thank you.

Not meaning to change the subject, but I have strung the single 0, and the news is good. This guitar punches way above its weight. I am justifiably proud of all my single 0 guitars, but they are not equal. I have thought of 6 as stand outs, and now it's 7. I mean stand outs in my herd, they're all stand out in the bigger picture. IMO, of course.

No page for this guitar yet, as I hope to make better photos than today's. But here are a few for you:

Old 10-06-2020, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
I really appreciate the acknowledgement my work is getting here, especially as it is from those who are most qualified to know!!! Thank you.

Not meaning to change the subject, but I have strung the single 0, and the news is good. This guitar punches way above its weight. I am justifiably proud of all my single 0 guitars, but they are not equal. I have thought of 6 as stand outs, and now it's 7. I mean stand outs in my herd, they're all stand out in the bigger picture. IMO, of course.

No page for this guitar yet, as I hope to make better photos than today's. But here are a few for you:

I am certainly an admirer of your work Bruce.

Beautiful!
Old 10-06-2020, 09:00 AM

Bruce, that new Single 0 is...lovely. I can only imagine how she must sound, and for you to include it in the tops of your 0's...that must be one special instrument. Well done!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop