The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 08-03-2014, 12:44 AM

This really does look fantastic can't wait to see how it looks under the finish!

Collings OM2H Adi / Braz
Doerr Legacy Swiss / Braz
Franklin OM German / Braz
Franklin OM Carpathian / Braz
Goodall GC Italian / Honduran
Goodall GC Italian / Braz
Goodall CJC Italian / Braz
Goodall CJC Italian / Afr. Blackwood
McPherson 5.0 Full Koa
McPherson 5.0XP Adi / Braz
Martin D-28GE Adi / Braz
Old 08-03-2014, 01:00 AM

Looking good, almost there...
Old 08-03-2014, 03:38 AM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

Have you picked out tuners yet?
Old 08-03-2014, 11:27 AM

Thanks again all
Yes I have picked out the tuners,I am going with plain-old 510minis, in chrome. I may yet switch the colour or even buttons for something wooden, however I don't think ebony would be the best fit...For now I am gonna stick with the chrome.

So, yesterday the neck joint got glued in...

As you can see, the end grain kiaat in the rosette got quite a bit darker with the finish. I guess this would be a result of the end grain sucking up the lacquer. Either way, I expected it to darken somewhat, but not as much as it did...oh well.

A little shot of the sound port:

and the headstock:

Last edited by Badcrumble; 08-03-2014 at 12:17 PM.
Old 08-03-2014, 11:52 AM

Gotohs on a slot head, interesting! I'm really looming forward to seeing that come together.
Old 08-03-2014, 12:23 PM

Well, this is not a traditional slotted headstock. The tuners will be on the outside facing backwards, with the capstan on the inside of the oval hollow.

Here is a picture of the Casimi headstock on which this design was based. The only real differences being that I opted to have a "sandwich" of all the kiaat, maple and african blackwood layers visible in the centre hollow, where the Casimi design has a beautiful flame maple instead. Also, they soften the top left hand edge, above the logo, where mine meets the side at a sharp 90 all the way around.
Old 08-03-2014, 03:06 PM

nice! thanks.
Old 08-08-2014, 01:23 AM

So tomorrow is string up day
I am so very excited.
I can hardly focus on anything here at work, so far, this morning.

A tiny bit unrelated, but does anyone have any experience with tonerite? I have access to one, and have heard great things about the results it produces.
I am wondering whether my new guitar would beneift from a day under a tonerite? and if so (I presume the majority of folks would say it would) , would it make any difference if I were to do that immediately after stringing her up, or after a few days/weeks of playing her in?
Any thoughts?
Old 08-08-2014, 03:13 AM

I have a tonerite, and use it frequently. There are some new guitars where I've really needed it, particularly new red spruce tops. However, I have a 000-28 EC madagascar/carpathian that I would never tonerite, because it sounded perfect right out of the box and I'm afraid to change the sound. Play your guitar first and then decide.
Old 08-08-2014, 04:14 AM

Wow.

How can I put this....

Wow!

That is awesome. If this is your first guitar, I hope you make more and showcase them

"Those who wish to appear wise among fools, among the wise seem foolish."
Quintilian
Old 08-08-2014, 05:36 AM
Lovin' nice guitars...

First, I am extremely impressed! Wow. Great work!

Regarding Tonerite, I love the thing. I have use it frequently on virtually every guitar I have owned. I even use it on guitars I play sometimes if I think they need a little more tone because it wakes up the wood. I have found no ill effects, only very subtle but noticeable benefits.

As was said before, play the guitar without it, but then put it on as recommended and see what happens. I don't think there is any way it won't make it even better.

Woody (aka: Mike)

FOR SALE: Kinnaird Brazilian!!
Old 08-08-2014, 03:31 PM

Save the tonerite for later, one of the benefits of building your own is getting to hear it change in the first few hours of being played. Not all of them change significantly, but some do! The first 2 or 3 hours can be quite amazing, almost like listening to your child learning to talk.
et al
Old 08-08-2014, 04:06 PM

Or observing how a good bottle of wine changes from the beginning of the bottle to the end...
Old 08-08-2014, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger Knox View Post
Save the tonerite for later, one of the benefits of building your own is getting to hear it change in the first few hours of being played. Not all of them change significantly, but some do! The first 2 or 3 hours can be quite amazing, almost like listening to your child learning to talk.
This is sage advice. Learning its voice can help you decide whether or not you want to change it. Like I said, I tonerite the bejeezus out of my OM18 adi, but I left the carpathian alone.
Old 08-09-2014, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badcrumble View Post
Well, this is not a traditional slotted headstock. The tuners will be on the outside facing backwards, with the capstan on the inside of the oval hollow.

Here is a picture of the Casimi headstock on which this design was based. The only real differences being that I opted to have a "sandwich" of all the kiaat, maple and african blackwood layers visible in the centre hollow, where the Casimi design has a beautiful flame maple instead. Also, they soften the top left hand edge, above the logo, where mine meets the side at a sharp 90 all the way around.
I have never seen this style of open headstock before. I absolutely LOVE IT!! I have long preferred the look of slotted headstocks but have yet to own one. I love that you can use standard tuners with this style.

I am quite shocked how ambitious your first build is. I really like the look of it. I will be watching!

Can anyone go to this school and build a guitar??

Last edited by Carbonius; 08-09-2014 at 04:20 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop