The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-29-2014, 01:23 PM

Default GAS aversion

Sometimes, when I think I need to buy a thing to play better, I try and find musicians who "made do" with what they had. Just a reminder that it's not what you play it on, it's what you're playing that matters most. Music exist outside of all of the on-line stores. It's not about the gear, it's about the music.

Old 07-29-2014, 01:27 PM

Also, if you have a hard job, it's also good to ask yourself "If I worked X amount of hours and was handed this guitar as compensation instead of a paycheck, would I actually be happy with that?"

It usually stopped me from most impulse buys and helped me discern what I actually want.
Martin MMV Dreadnought (because everyone needs a Martin )

Electrics:
Fender Telecaster (the workhorse)
ESP EC-1000 VB (the shredder)
G&L L2000 (its a bass)
Old 07-29-2014, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvinLee View Post
Sometimes, when I think I need to buy a thing to play better, I try and find musicians who "made do" with what they had. Just a reminder that it's not what you play it on, it's what you're playing that matters most. Music exist outside of all of the on-line stores. It's not about the gear, it's about the music.

I don't know anybody who bought a guitar to play better, usually it's because it sounds better than what you have.

Of course a great player can make anything sound good, they will also sound even better with a world class instrument.

There is a reason world class symphony musicians buy six figure instruments, and they can certainly make anything sound good.

The player is prime, obviously, but without an instrument there is no music so the instrument comes in a strong second in the equation.

Fine instruments are a joy, many work a lifetime before they can afford them, I know I did. I've owned $50 guitars and $10K guitars, thre is a difference........

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 07-29-2014, 03:10 PM

Clearly one can make music on anything, even a plywood box with one string, just depends on the kind of music you are trying to make.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOeR84wg4Ao

Old 07-29-2014, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmyAddison View Post
I don't know anybody who bought a guitar to play better, usually it's because it sounds better than what you have.
Funny, if an instrument can't help you play better (as in make it easier to achieve a sought after tone or action) then what's the real point of paying big bucks for it?

Why does the virtuoso pay thousands of dollars for an instrument if not to achieve some higher level of performance?

Alas, building instruments is also an art form and I have no qualms with those who wish to possess such art, but I think music becomes ancillary at a certain point.

As I read this thread, it occurs to me I should perhaps seek a "acoustic guitar players" forum rather than "acoustic guitar" forum. Nothing disparaging meant in that, just an observation.
Old 07-29-2014, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmyAddison View Post
seems like everyday, i read on this forum how "the guitar needs to be better than the player", in order for the player to improve.

here's a cool song from a good songwriter on a cheap guitar in front of millions:

Old 07-29-2014, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Funny, if an instrument can't help you play better (as in make it easier to achieve a sought after tone or action) then what's the real point of paying big bucks for it?

Why does the virtuoso pay thousands of dollars for an instrument if not to achieve some higher level of performance?

at that point i'd guess they are looking for better tone or inspiration rather than playability.

Quote:
...As I read this thread, it occurs to me I should perhaps seek a "acoustic guitar players" forum rather than "acoustic guitar" forum. Nothing disparaging meant in that, just an observation.
please report back with your findings.
Old 07-29-2014, 06:28 PM

Hey I'll use it. Lately I've had some serious trouble with GAS, no kidding. Wouldn't be such an issue if the market wasn't so soft.

2014 Recording King RP1-626-C
Blueridge BR-341

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion