The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-05-2022, 07:01 AM

Default Who likes a short scale?

Who out there likes or even perhaps prefers a shorter than normal scale length? For those of us who primarily pick in our living rooms or front porches is there a trend towards shorter than short scale guitars. Can we be satisfied to get the job done and make some nice music with a GS mini, a Dread Jr or a Taylor GT. I’m sitting here this morning just putting a smile on my own face with a scaled down offering and it makes me think what is really necessary to enjoy oneself.
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster
Old 04-05-2022, 07:07 AM
Charter Member

I like short scale guitars because of all the positive reasons as they are easier to finger and reach chords. Plus, I like the more rounded sound instead of the taught sound of long scale guitars. The term normal in this situation is not something I agree with. Guitars were built with the 24+ scale many years before they came up with the 25+ scale, so what's normal?

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 04-05-2022, 07:20 AM
Charter Member

My Eastman E2om-cd is a 24.9" scale and my Guild Starfire II Dynasonic is a 24.75".

I like how the slightly shorter scale offers the comfort of a little less tension (tuned to A440).
Old 04-05-2022, 07:21 AM
Charter Member

I don't dislike short scale guitars. I have one (Kopp K-35) and it's a great guitar. But I find I can get a little heavy handed at times and like the standard scale length a little better in most situations. Especially drop tunings. No right or wrong...just different...which is a good thing IMO.

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 04-05-2022, 07:33 AM

I lean towards long-scale because I capo up the neck and things can get a little tight the further up you go.
Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 04-05-2022, 07:35 AM
Charter Member

I love my 000. Wonderful all rounder. I really feel the difference in playability when attempting fancy stuff. Sweet as a nut.

Sounds just great in drop tunings too.

No doubt it lacks a little bit of punch/projection on single notes but only relative to a very, very good OM, and only played A v B.
Old 04-05-2022, 07:35 AM
Charter Member

I like short a short scale.

....standard too!

All Scales Matter. : )
Old 04-05-2022, 07:41 AM

I like the short scale (24") on my 12-fret parlor. All my big guitars are long scale.
Old 04-05-2022, 07:53 AM

My wife - she's learned to play on a Baby Taylor and anything else seems grotesque and unwieldy.

D.H.
Old 04-05-2022, 07:54 AM
Charter Member

I actually tend to prefer short scale guitars most of the time for my playing style. For finger style blues and fingerstyle in general my 000 size guitars work great, and for strumming duty my J-45 Vintage works great. I do like a Martin D-18 (or 28) for flat-picking (which my J-45 can do though I don't think quite as well) but otherwise I'm happy with my short scale guitars.
Old 04-05-2022, 07:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hicks View Post
My wife - she's learned to play on a Baby Taylor and anything else seems grotesque and unwieldy.

D.H.
Come to think of it both of my wife's guitars are short scale too. But she'll play a couple of my dreads with standard scale every once in a while...

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 04-05-2022, 07:55 AM

I prefer the shorter scale length but fractions matter. My Gibson J-45 is 24.75" and is perfect, love my Dreadnought Jr. too at 24" however the GS-Mini at 23.5" felt too short. I have a hard time, especially finger picking switching between standard and short scale but I'm sure it partially comes down to me not being a very experienced player though.
Old 04-05-2022, 07:57 AM

To be honest, regarding scale length preference , it’s all just what I happen to presently be used to at the moment over the years. But, since in recent times I have been playing my short scale neck guitars, I’m finding I like the short scale best.

Just my experience.

QM aka “Jazzman” Jeff
Old 04-05-2022, 07:57 AM

A GS Mini was my "gateway" guitar for short scale, a concept that after many decades of casual playing I had no exposure to. I simply found it more comfortable to play and have graduated to a Cargo (really short) and Emerald X7. The great sounding and beautiful but less comfortable 000M was the first casualty and the Mini, while I liked it well enough, didn't have all the benefits of the carbon guitars.
Old 04-05-2022, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in TC View Post
A GS Mini was my "gateway" guitar for short scale, a concept that after many decades of casual playing I had no exposure to. I simply found it more comfortable to play and have graduated to a Cargo (really short) and Emerald X7. The great sounding and beautiful but less comfortable 000M was the first casualty and the Mini, while I liked it well enough, didn't have all the benefits of the carbon guitars.

I wish I could find a 24 inch scale length on par with my 000-18. That would certainly be a keeper.
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion