The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-20-2021, 01:56 PM

Default Introduction

Greeting fellow AGF members. I have been a member here for nearly 10 years and have just now summoned the courage to come forward, out of the shadows. Being what I call a perpetual beginner, late last year I decided again to learn how to play the guitar. This time I am determined to follow through. This has been a journey of twenty years, on and off. My hands are small and fingers VERY short.

Exhibit A:

Yeah, I know. A co-worker once told me I had "hobbit hands." Thanks to my dad and those pesky genetics. The rest of me is normal sized (whatever that is). My fretting hand nails must be filed to the quick. There will be no fretting of the low E with my thumb! For so long I believed that the narrower the nut width, the better for my impediment. Not so. A 1 3/4 nut width turns out to be, for me, more comfortable than narrower. I haven't had the opportunity to play even wider nut widths.

So in my not nearly one year return I've bought all sorts of guitars. It's been fun, but I don't see the advantage, for me, of owning more than 3 or 4 (max). I have found I like small guitars best. 000s are almost too big. In a fairly recent thread an AGF member made a comment about "not more, but nicer." Yes. That comment resonated with me.

That's my abbreviated story. Thank you for reading.
Old 09-20-2021, 01:59 PM

Welcome aboard, Crescent Moon. Does your screen name refer to the crescent moon flag of South Carolina, or do you just like the image?

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 09-20-2021, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Welcome aboard, Crescent Moon. Does your screen name refer to the crescent moon flag of South Carolina, or do you just like the image?

Wade Hampton Miller
Thank you Wade! It's the image; however, I am in the Great State of Tennessee. Not too far removed from SC.

Noel
Old 09-20-2021, 02:22 PM

Interesting first post. I like narrow necks on electrics and wider necks on acoustic and classical guitars. When you get a chance. play a classical. That very wide and fat neck, you may find. is decently playable. I have small medium fingers and a long palm.
Old 09-20-2021, 02:25 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Welcome to the forum CM!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 09-20-2021, 02:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crescent Moon View Post
Thank you Wade! It's the image; however, I am in the Great State of Tennessee. Not too far removed from SC.

Noel
Welcome! I'm from the upper east tip of Tennessee and really enjoy vacationing under the crescent moon of Charleston. I'm also a member of the stubby fingers club. LOL
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 09-20-2021, 02:40 PM

Hi, Crescent Moon. I too have short fingers, but my saving grace is a wide palm so I can catch that low E with my thumb. I am about 6 feet tall (used to be taller, but age withers us all) but my arms are about 2" shorter than the average six-footer and all of the shortage is in my upper arm (humerus) so, I can't play dreadnaught size instruments comfortably. I've played since the 1960s but took a twenty year break and started up again about 5 years ago.

Stick with it. Look for a guitar with a narrow neck and the lowest radius fretboard you can find. No suggestions there, I don't have a wide enough knowledge base to make any suggestions. But keep at it and you will be rewarded. It will get easier.
Blueridge BR-142
Recording King R0-T16
Alvarez AP66SHB
Old 09-20-2021, 02:48 PM
Charter Member

Welcome CM!

I, too, appreciate smaller guitars, centering on 00 size. Decades ago it didn't matter, but now being in my late 60s 000/OM or larger just feel too big. Fortunately there are many nice small body guitars to choose from.
Old 09-20-2021, 02:50 PM
Charter Member

Howdy there Crescent not sure what your musical interests are, but as a point of interest to you since you have smaller hands the following might be worth looking into. probably the greatest player who used minimal left hand (fretting hand positioning) would be the Master of Gypsy Jazz: Django Reinhardt. the belgian born french genius composer made jazz ultra cool in the 20's with his quartet ( self taught from what her heard by ear) he had a bad accident in 1928 that left his left hand severely burned and was only able to use 2 of the fingers on his left hand, therefore he recreated Jazz based on this and created the most revered form of gypsy jazz with his superb ability of melodic invention using his limited left hand. his alternate tunings laid the foundation for bringing lead jazz guitar to the forefront with ONLY 2 fingers. (as you can tell I LOVE what he did and his capitalization of his limited ability) this man could make music that sounded like he had 8 fingers on his left hand and his polyrhythm melodies have been mimicked by some of the greatest (imo) git players who also suffered limited use of left hand ( Joni Mitchell a fellow Canadian, due to her childhood affliction with polio I think, comes directly to my mind using her alt tunings and melody creation to give us some of the best folk music ever (again imo) ) worth checking out..look forward to more posts from ya ALT TUNINGS ROCK!!! double drop D, DADF#AD, etc etc etc

1929 SS Stewart Pro Archtop
1921 G Houghton Archtop Banjo
2007 George Rizsanyi Custom Maple Banjo Killer
2017 James Malejczuk Custom OM Black Limba
1980 Norman B50-12
Norman B-20
Recording King single 0
1996 Takamine
1967 Yam G-130 Melvina
1980s Seagull S6 Cedar
2003 Briarwood
1970s Eko Maple
1982 Ovation
2020 Fender Telecaster
Mandolin
Yam THR5A
Sienna 35 Kustom
Old 09-20-2021, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pf400 View Post
Interesting first post. I like narrow necks on electrics and wider necks on acoustic and classical guitars. When you get a chance. play a classical. That very wide and fat neck, you may find. is decently playable. I have small medium fingers and a long palm.
Neil, thank you for the suggestion. I have never played a classical guitar. If the opportunity presents, I will certainly do so.

Noel
Old 09-20-2021, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Welcome to the forum CM!
Thank you TBman.

Noel
Old 09-20-2021, 03:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crescent Moon View Post

Noel
That's God's Country!

-Mike "my friends from Tennessee tell me... "
Old 09-20-2021, 03:10 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Mick View Post
Welcome! I'm from the upper east tip of Tennessee and really enjoy vacationing under the crescent moon of Charleston. I'm also a member of the stubby fingers club. LOL
Thank you Goat Mick! I'm in the Knoxville area. Happy to read that I'm not the only stubby round here.
Old 09-20-2021, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmgjsps View Post
Hi, Crescent Moon. I too have short fingers, but my saving grace is a wide palm so I can catch that low E with my thumb. I am about 6 feet tall (used to be taller, but age withers us all) but my arms are about 2" shorter than the average six-footer and all of the shortage is in my upper arm (humerus) so, I can't play dreadnaught size instruments comfortably. I've played since the 1960s but took a twenty year break and started up again about 5 years ago.

Stick with it. Look for a guitar with a narrow neck and the lowest radius fretboard you can find. No suggestions there, I don't have a wide enough knowledge base to make any suggestions. But keep at it and you will be rewarded. It will get easier.
Thank you for your suggestions! I think I may have short arms as well, accounting for the comfort of small guitars.

Noel
Old 09-20-2021, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Welcome CM!

I, too, appreciate smaller guitars, centering on 00 size. Decades ago it didn't matter, but now being in my late 60s 000/OM or larger just feel too big. Fortunately there are many nice small body guitars to choose from.
Why yes, there are. I'm in my early 60s, so I can relate to what you're saying. Thank you for reinforcing my intuition.

Noel

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion