The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-03-2019, 01:39 AM

Default Amplify vocals and D-42 through AER 60/4

Hi all,

I would love to use some of your expertise.

I have a new Martin D-42. I would like to be able to perform with it (occasionally).

My preferences:
- no drilling, no mounting due to damage to the guitar;
- like to amplify the guitar;
- like to amplify vocals:
- allready have the AER 60/4 and like to use thuis.

My questions:
- Which microphone would you recommand for singing;
- which microphone would you recommens for the guitar;
- how can I use two microphones, there’s only one xlr input?

Thank you all!
Old 05-03-2019, 07:56 AM
Charter Member

Congrats on the 42! Those are great guitars.

You may consider looking into a mic by Ear Trumpet Labs. I have and use an Edwina. One mic will cover both your vocals and guitar and they sound great.

Lots of discussion previously on this forum and a bunch of videos on YT.

JStotes
Old 05-03-2019, 03:19 PM

Using a single mic has obvious limitations. Both the vocals and the guitar will have to be EQ'd identically, will have the same effects, if any, and relative volume can be controlled only by trying to achieve your desired mix by moving your mouth and guitar relative to the mic, sometimes in different directions.

The DPA d:vote 4099 instrument mic mounts using a mounting mechanism which is allegedly pretty gentle on the guitar. https://www.dpamicrophones.com/dvote...ent-microphone

I like and use a Neumann KMS 105 handheld condenser mic for vocals, but there are many options to choose from with different sonic and pick-up pattern characteristics and at different price points.

A very small mixer with two XLR inputs could be used to blend separate vocal and guitar mics.

Last edited by GmanJeff; 05-03-2019 at 03:38 PM.
Old 05-03-2019, 03:35 PM

Deleted, duplicate post.
Old 05-03-2019, 03:50 PM

You can use a small mixer and XLR out of one main channel to your amp. That will give you independent control over each input i.e. eq, effects, gain.... I use a small Soundcraft Notepad into whatever amp I choose when I need more inputs. Works great and adds flexibility.
Old 05-04-2019, 12:04 PM

Thnx for all of the responses.

1) So finally there are two options --> 1 mike for vocals and guitar

2) 2 mikes trough a mixer to the AER?

At point 1 --> The Edwina is pricey and there's a lot of discussion if it's value for money or not.

What are your opinions?
Old 05-06-2019, 01:53 PM

With the D28, you could also use a soundhole pickup. There are many out there but one of the most popular is the DiMarzio Angel since it is very close to the holy grail of a Sunrise. (I have a Sunrise in a Taylor 914, and they are magical).
Run that pickup into Channel 1, the instrument channel.

If you are committed to mic’ing your guitar, just use an adapter from the XLR cable to a 1/4 jack so you can plug the mic into the instrument channel - channel 1.

I use a Shure SM58 into the mic channel for vocals, channel 2 and it works fine. The Audix mics are also good for vocals. Some people prefer the condensers from Shure or others, with their AER. I also sometimes use a headset mic into Channel 2 (Shure PSM35). Anyway, there are lots of options if you want to skip adding a mixer.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification