The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-01-2019, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
Why is it scary? Bose pinned down the problem and is implementing a plan to handle the repairs at no cost to S1 owners. For now, just charge them the night before the gig or that morning and you're fine. Hell, even a couple of days before.
I am in Europe... the service is not as efficient as in the USA, as reported in a European forum if I remember well.... in the USA people have reported very fast service.

Secondly, few people had trouble with the returned units... note that many people have reported the problem to be solved too.
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 05-01-2019, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
That’s terrific. I assume it means sending it in?
When they "fixed" my Eon One (not Pro), they had a local tech do the work. Unfortunately, they boosted the mic gain, not the line level gain. Seriously, how do you get that wrong?
Old 05-02-2019, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
When they "fixed" my Eon One (not Pro), they had a local tech do the work. Unfortunately, they boosted the mic gain, not the line level gain. Seriously, how do you get that wrong?

LOL! Those things happen. In my use of the JBL systems, I leave the mic switch engaged for everything and just use the level control. Since the High Z is engaged separately, there is no change in tone for me. However, keep in mind, I don’t play loud as loud as you.

The lowest common denominator is going to be the mic. So if you raise the gain of the mic channel and just leave the line level pad disengaged, it should work.

But I don’t think the JBL systems perform at the high SPL that conventional speakers will. I think the preamp gains are intentionally modest just to protect the speakers from overload.

Bose does a better job is gain staging with their tower systems.
Old 05-02-2019, 03:41 PM

The Laney is a very decent amp.
Martin J40
Old 05-02-2019, 04:46 PM

Alot of talk here about hearing and pschoacoustics. thanks cuki for your
intelligently layed out and well researched posts. Ill admit I can only post what i can hear. Our band has gone through a bit of an evolution. Its a bit of an issue.
we went first from a 16 ch mackie vlz board to the touchmix 16 digital. we were
running these into two qsc k10s. My impression was it was a bit of a compromise. All the so so features ofvthe digital realm still didnt sound as good
as the analog board. So then a member bought a bose compact.
In a small quiet room its pretty cool. We put it behind us and its a monitor as well. our setup tear down time has decreased.lugging stuf is less of a chore. But liked mentioned above when pushed it gets harsh. So another member went out and bought An bose L1 . This appears to have more power. But again when pushed its harsh. And Being louder it can be painful. This is not able to be discussed with the members. They are in love with bose. Me I think weve slowly made incremental compromises that now our sound is not as good as it was before. One fellow has tinitus. He cant hear what i can hear. Im going to start bringing earplugs . All this has cured me of bose. . I havnt even heard an s1 .
But its the same family and low wattage. But light weight and convenient.
Compromises...
Old 05-02-2019, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuki79 View Post
I am in Europe... the service is not as efficient as in the USA, as reported in a European forum if I remember well.... in the USA people have reported very fast service.

Secondly, few people had trouble with the returned units... note that many people have reported the problem to be solved too.
Ah, that makes sense then.

Yes, my brand new replacement also has the issue.
Old 05-02-2019, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post

Bose does a better job is gain staging with their tower systems.
Yeah, I've been using my L1MII a bit over the last month due to louder gigs. I really love it. The S1 works for most of my gigs though.
Old 05-02-2019, 07:10 PM

Dupe post ...,,And however many more words needed.
Old 05-02-2019, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmonter View Post
All the so so features ofvthe digital realm still didnt sound as good as the analog board.

So then a member bought a bose compact....when pushed it gets harsh.

bose L1 ... when pushed its harsh...and being louder, it can be painful.

This is not able to be discussed with the members. They are in love with bose.

I haven't even heard an s1... its the same family and low wattage. But light weight and convenient.
Compromises...
IMO, all of this as well...
1983 Washburn Timber Ridge Custom
- Fishman Onboard Prefix Premium Blend & - Schatten HFN passive
2016 Gibson J-45 Standard
- Fishman Onboard Prefix Premium Blend & - Schatten HFN passive backup
Tonedexter & Sunnaudio Stage DI
1990 Yamaha FS-310

Past:
1995 Martin D-28
2015 Eastman E10SS
Old 05-03-2019, 11:20 PM

I own both the Bose S1 Pro and Laney "Kustom" equivalent systems. The Bose S1 Pro beats all of the Laney sound systems in every category handily!(
Old 05-04-2019, 02:58 AM

Neocrome and Cuki79,
when you say you prefer the sound of the AH4X4 over the S1 Pro, is this for guitar, vocals or both?

Thanks!
/Per
Old 05-04-2019, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Per Burström View Post
Neocrome and Cuki79,
when you say you prefer the sound of the AH4X4 over the S1 Pro, is this for guitar, vocals or both?

Thanks!
/Per
I would say both...

Keep in mind I never tried the Bose S1 pro with anything else than a SM58. The laney can power my beta 87a...

Bose is really good to make vocals sound nice... but overall I like to have more punch and dynamic in my mic.

Bose can be very impressive with the 3-D sound. The first time I tried a Bose L1 mII with a mic (sm58), I was shocked... I thought it was hearing my voice in my head. It was in a big big room full of stuff (speaker and light renting huge building). I quickly bought one... later I realised I did not have the use for it.

Without the mic setting, a SM58 can be boomy. With the mic setting it is EQued for clarity. I like a bit more warmth and grit in my mic... something more lively... less polished...

Note that the AH4x4 is pretty flat with a low cut. There is no fart/ woof because of the close enclosure design I guess. Anyway I use the beta 87a which is kind of pre-EQd mic...

Guitar wise, the Bose is pretty good... it just can’t handle the bass. The AH4x4 can’t either but does not fart... the highs are better on the AH4x4... it is less important for guitar... I mean given you play outside, in an uncontrolled environment... anyway most pickups sound bad in the highs...

I have tons of signal processing power with my DIY IR pedal... so I guess I could get what I want. My point of view as regards guitars are that non tweeter speaker can be made to sound greater because, they are sweet and you don’t have to fight harshness. Think AER compact 60. The AER which I also owned can sound great on guitar and at best “decent” on vocals.

If you have a TC play acoustic, try to give a shot to the older Mackie freeplay...

Honestly, I am waiting to to Bose competitor answers to the s1 and Johnfields45 feedback with the inverter... I already have the inverter, a bunch of Li-ion batteries. I tried the QSC K8.2 and it sounds way better than the Bose S1 to my ear....if the QSC CP8 is up to QSC standards I could take that road.

My point is Bose S1 makes sens if you can carry everything without a roller bag... I am not sure it is the case yet. As soon as you have a roller bag. Well... External batteries and a sine inverter might not be such a big deal. I don't play out that often.
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Last edited by Cuki79; 05-04-2019 at 05:11 AM.
Old 05-08-2019, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuki79 View Post
Honestly, I am waiting to to Bose competitor answers to the s1 and Johnfields45 feedback with the inverter...
I've moved my reports to this thread:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=545832

Bottom line is a cheap 12v Lithium battery won't drive my inverter. For a bit more than the cost of an S1 spare battery I just ordered a portable power station. An impossible mess of options and brands...
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 05-08-2019, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
I've moved my reports to this thread:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=545832

Bottom line is a cheap 12v Lithium battery won't drive my inverter. For a bit more than the cost of an S1 spare battery I just ordered a portable power station. An impossible mess of options and brands...
Thanks Jonfields45,

seems I will keep using the AH4x4 then.
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Old 05-08-2019, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Per Burström View Post
Neocrome and Cuki79,

Thanks!
/Per
Definitely echoing Cuki's sentiments above. The AH4x4 is mostly your sound, amplified. It does almost nothing to colour or change what you feed into it, other than its inability to produce high-highs and low-lows because of the physical limitations.

The Bose S1 Pro has obvious tonal & EQ shaping which makes bad sounds sound less bad but good sounds less good (mostly through the loss of details).

If we were vaguely using a scale from -10 to +10,
-10 being the worst a person can sound musically and +10 being the best:

AH4x4 can reproduce: -7 to +7
S1 Pro can reproduce: -5 to +5

when it comes to the quality of sounds. I prefer the sounds of both guitar and vocals through the Laney as it's more accurate

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification