The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-25-2019, 06:16 PM

Default What microphones do you like for creating ToneDexter wave maps?

I know Audio Sprockets provides a list of recommended mics, but I'd like to know what people have actually used and why they like or don't like them?

Also, if we didn't have a list to pick from, what, in your opinion, would be the criteria for selecting a mic for this purpose?

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 04-25-2019, 07:45 PM

So far, my favorite has been the Shure SM-81. It just seems to capture the aspects of my guitars that I want to preserve and restore to the pickup signal.

A close second has been Line Audio CM3. This is a small diaphragm condenser. For the same reason I am interested in the Slate ML-2 - a relatively flat response.

I have not had good fortune with large diaphragm condensers, dynamics or ribbons so far.

(I only use SBTs, and I wonder if there might be differences between best microphones when using a UST instead.)

I suspect that flat response is the most important aspect of finding a good microphone match. For this reason, I question the whole concept of using an SM57 - that microphone is anything BUT flat.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 04-26-2019, 02:31 AM
Charter Member

The Shure SM81 is the mic I bought to train my ToneDexter.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 04-26-2019 at 02:44 AM.
Old 04-26-2019, 08:50 AM

I tried a number of mikes, starting with MXL large and small format condenser mikes (with less success) Shure SM57 and (poor results) and then I borrowed an Ear Trumpet Edwina which is actually a middle-sized condenser mike and that was the winner, so much so I went out and bought one. But experimenting with different mikes (and mike positions) is a good idea, IMHO, not only because you are trying out different kinds of options, but the more you go through the process, the more comfortable it becomes. I went back recently and re-did my wavemaps on four different guitars, A and Bing the old and new wavemaps until they were really the very best I could get and I did this with the Ear Trumpet mike. This was after about 10 months of using the original wavemaps which at the time I thought were the best I could do.
1951 Rickenbacker Panda lap steel
2014 Gibson Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe Ltd, Custom Shop, K&K's
1957 Kay K-27 X-braced jumbo, K&K's
1967 Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins Nashville
2014 Gold Tone WL-250, Whyte Lade banjo
2024 Mahogany Weissenborn, Jack Stepick

Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina
Tonedexter
Old 04-26-2019, 02:18 PM

I've been using an Audix i5 since I got Tonedexter. I recently acquired the Slate ML-2 mic. I didn't buy it solely for use with Tonedexter but that was one of my reasons. So far I tested the ML-2 micing acoustic guitars and vocals and I'm very impressed with the mic.

I finally got around to making some wavemaps with it and I never got blown away like I thought I would. I got nice wavemaps from it but I can't say if they're better or worse than what I made with the Audix i5. That's not a knock for the ML-2 or Tonedexter by any means it's more of a compliment to the Audix. When I bought that mic years ago I was so impressed with it that I gave away my sm57 to a friend.

There's some proof that you don't need an expensive mic to get nice wavemaps from Tonedexter. I think Audiosprockets should add the Audix i5 to their list.
Old 05-05-2019, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarLuva View Post
I've been using an Audix i5 since I got Tonedexter
I just picked up an Audix i5, and my first wavemap with it didn't impress me.

How do you position yours, and also, what guitar are you using?

Thanks.

2012 Martin HD-28V
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 05-05-2019, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phcorrigan View Post
what, in your opinion, would be the criteria for selecting a mic for this purpose?
A relatively inexpensive condenser mic that you like the sound of.

If you don't have the desire to audition several mics, go with a recommendation from this forum in the $200-300 range. I use a Sennheiser E614. $200 and it's a nice general purpose condenser mic. Almost any similar one will work just fine.
Old 05-05-2019, 08:09 AM

Quote:
I know Audio Sprockets provides a list of recommended mics, but I'd like to know what people have actually used and why they like or don't like them?

Also, if we didn't have a list to pick from, what, in your opinion, would be the criteria for selecting a mic for this purpose?
I'm using a Slate ML-2 and very happy with it.

As for criteria, a flat frequency response is important. Avoid mics which have a severe bass rolloff when miking at enough distance to avoid the proximity effect. The Shure SM57, for instance, has a severe bump at 200Hz when miking close, and a severe bass rolloff (below 200Hz) when miking at a distance. Keep in mind that the low open E has a fundamental frequency of about 82.4Hz at concert pitch. Altered tunings can go much lower in frequency. (Guitar music is usually notated an octave high so that all the pitches can be grouped around a treble staff.)

It should be mentioned that some have claimed good results with dynamic mics like the SM57. Its at least worth a try. I tried it myself, but the ML-2 results have been much more satisfying.

Last edited by guitaniac; 05-05-2019 at 08:18 AM.
Old 05-05-2019, 11:10 AM

Quote:
I just picked up an Audix i5, and my first wavemap with it didn't impress me.

How do you position yours, and also, what guitar are you using?

Thanks.
I'm using 3 guitars, a Gibson dread, an Emerald x20 and Emerald x30. Typical mic positions I use are 1 ft away point at the 12th fret, 1 ft away pointing at the soundhole (yields more bass) and another is with the mic above the guitar pointing down on an angle. When I had just the i5 I had almost every slot occupied with a wavemap that I liked. Now here's the catch.

Since I received the Slate ML-2 I had my Tonedexter updated to the latest firmware and I haven't been able to get a wavemap that I consider a keeper with either mic. I'll play around with it again but if I can't get any satisfaction I might consider rolling back Tonedexter to a previous firmware that worked well for me.
Old 05-05-2019, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarLuva View Post
I'm using 3 guitars, a Gibson dread, an Emerald x20 and Emerald x30. Typical mic positions I use are 1 ft away point at the 12th fret, 1 ft away pointing at the soundhole (yields more bass) and another is with the mic above the guitar pointing down on an angle. When I had just the i5 I had almost every slot occupied with a wavemap that I liked. Now here's the catch.

Since I received the Slate ML-2 I had my Tonedexter updated to the latest firmware and I haven't been able to get a wavemap that I consider a keeper with either mic. I'll play around with it again but if I can't get any satisfaction I might consider rolling back Tonedexter to a previous firmware that worked well for me.
Thanks.

So far, my best wavemap was made with a $45 Marantz MPM-1000 large-diaphragm (medium, actually) condenser mic.

Have you contacted Audio Sprockets about the changes in the firmware? James May usually responds very quickly.

2012 Martin HD-28V
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 05-05-2019, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Thanks.

Have you contacted Audio Sprockets about the changes in the firmware? James May usually responds very quickly.
No problem and no I haven't contacted Audio Sprockets yet. James May reads these threads and often chimes in with advice. I will give it another go eventually. That Audix i5 served me well I have nothing but respect for that mic. What's troubling is I haven't been able to get a nice wavemap with the ML-2 yet., but in all honesty I haven't had the time to put forth much effort. It's on my to do list.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification