The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-04-2019, 10:11 AM

Default Help w T5 and a harmonizer

Hello signal chain gurus. I'm in a 3 piece combo where I am guitar and all the vocals. TC Helicon Harmony Singer into a Yamaha MG10xu mixer and then to PA. Looking for more variance in sounds so I'm adding a Taylor T5. I'm wondering what pedal help is available. Should I replace the TCH HS for something more robust or add an A-B-Y and then a tube pedal into a different channel in the mixer? Hoping to keep it as simple as possible. Thanks for input.
Old 05-04-2019, 12:29 PM

I often play my T5 in a duo or full band set up - sometimes even at a solo gig. I set mine up with acoustic strings (12's) for a fuller sound. While it sounds good straight into my mixer, I usually go through my LR Baggs Venue or Boss VE-8 pedals. The Venue offers excellent eq, a volume boost and tuner. The VE-8 offers decent vocal harmonies, a looper, delay, chorus and a tuner. The T5 works well with most pedals so it really depends what you're looking to do with it. I have even used it with a Roland GR20 synth with excellent results. For a while, I used an A/B/Y switch putting one side straight to the mixer and the other side to Line 6 Pod unit for more electric guitar sounds. It was fun but I prefer the acoustic sound better for my purposes. BTW, I play out 100 gigs per year for the past 20 years so I have lots of experience in a live format.
Try different things and have fun with the T5. It's a very versatile instrument.

2004 Taylor 712 Baggs Anthem SL
2019 Taylor 717e Builders Edition ES2
2016 Huss & Dalton TOM-M w/Baggs M-1
2019 Martin Custom Shop OMCE Blaze Burst w/Fishman Matrix Enhance
2019 Martin OM28 Modern Deluxe
Old 05-04-2019, 07:36 PM

I have written many posts on the T5. I bought mine when they first came out in 2005 and have had several but still have my first black T5. It is a different animal and if you just thicken up the tone with good eq, you can get very versatile sound out of it. Just don't go at it like you want it to be an 814 or a Les Paul. It is a T5 and unique with unique tone. The T5 is a misunderstood animal, but once you get it, you get it.

I would just go straight in like you do with your acoustics, play with your eq a bit and bring out the T5 tone- try diming out the tone controls on the T5 itself. Use your mixer to add or subtract. You can also run an A/B box and set up the second "B" channel for electric tone. That can be done with a modeling pedal or multi-effects into a second channel on your mixer. I use an HX Stomp for effects. Another option is to A/B and use an acoustic side to your mixer/PA and the B side to an electric amp. You can blend these two tones to get some great sound.

I play y T5 straight in to my BOSE S1 on the guitar preset. I often use a RedEye preamp because it usually just makes everything sound a little better. I play everything from Eagles, Springsteen, U2, Tom Petty using my T5 and it is amazingly flexible.

One key thing is keep your setup and signal chain simple. It is not a grand auditorium, not a dreadnought and not a Strat or LP. It is a T5 and can certainly be a go to guitar once you get its simplicity.

Good luck and keep us posted.
davidc
Old 05-05-2019, 09:04 AM

Some great advise here! Thanks.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification