The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Closed Thread

Old 12-30-2021, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post

That sent me on a tangent to see some other stuff with Eugene Levy out there on YouTube.

SCTV - such a great show.

Old 12-30-2021, 11:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
I haven't seen The Firm in 15 years or so but I have seen it a couple of times and it's a great movie.

It Chapter Two is what I started watching last night and I'll finish it today. I read the Stephen King book back in '87 (the year after it was released). An amazing book.
I recently re-watched "The Firm," as well, and our family watched both "It" and "It: Chapter 2" earlier this month as a break from the usual holiday movies. I read both books when I was younger, so I have a little nostalgia for both stories. "The Firm" is obviously dated, but still a decent movie, and I thought the "It" duo were enjoyable for horror (which is usually not my genre).
Old 12-30-2021, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pura Vida View Post
I recently re-watched "The Firm," as well, and our family watched both "It" and "It: Chapter 2" earlier this month as a break from the usual holiday movies. I read both books when I was younger, so I have a little nostalgia for both stories. "The Firm" is obviously dated, but still a decent movie, and I thought the "It" duo were enjoyable for horror (which is usually not my genre).
"It: Chapter 2" - I just finished watching it. Great movie and special effects. One scene was very reminiscent of "Carrie". There was a 1990 miniseries with John Ritter that I would have watched back in the day. I have no recollection of it but it's peaking my interest.
Old 01-04-2022, 07:09 PM
Charter Member

Crime Scene, The Times Square Killer.

A 3-part limited series on Netflix. It's dark, gritty and true. A very informative look back at serial killings in the Sodom and Gomorrah that was New York City's 42nd St district in the late 70s.

To be sure, it's not cheery family fare, rather a well-produced and fascinating time-capsule. Especially for those of us who were alive then and recall NYC's well-deserved dismal rep in the 70s-80s.
Old 01-04-2022, 07:53 PM
Charter Member

Incredible!

“The Alpinist” on Netflix

https://www.netflix.com/us/title/815...&clip=81518358

Old 01-08-2022, 03:28 PM

For those interested in foreign crime series, the third season of "Undercover" starts Monday on Netflix.

Martin OM-28 Authentic 1931
Taylor Cocobolo GCce 2008 Fall Limited Edition
Paragon Cocobolo/cedar GOM
Cervantes Signature Rodriguez
Eastman Cabaret JB
Tacoma JM1612C
Old 01-08-2022, 04:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor814 View Post
For those interested in foreign crime series, the third season of "Undercover" starts Monday on Netflix.
Really enjoyed Undercover seasons 1 & 2. Thanks for the heads up!
Old 01-08-2022, 10:49 PM
Charter Member

Catching up on the three seasons of "Succession." In the beginning, I wasn't sure if I would enjoy it b/c they characters are all so morally flawed, and it was a little slow out of the gate. But knowing how much critical acclaim it's received, plus plenty of friends recommending it, I decided to stick with it... and by the middle of Season 1, I was invested in the characters and seeing where it would take me. I just started Season 3, and it continues to get better. I'm hoping to finish it, just in time for the next season of "Ozark" to drop.
Old 01-10-2022, 07:54 AM

My wife and I just finished watching season one of Foundation on Apple TV. As both of us have read Azimov's Foundation and related Robot novels, our expectations were quite high for the series and I'm delighted to say it met or exceeded them. Rather than go into any detail, I'm posting Aimelie's earlier post from this thread with which I heartily concur in every respect, and which is a better review than anything I could come up with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimelie View Post
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...&postcount=244

In response to the above (from the previous and now closed “what are you watching” thread)— for “catdaddy” in particular…

Some thoughts on “Foundation” the Apple TV series based on the books by Isaac Asimov:

Fantastic, absolutely sumptuous (visually speaking), the series is on par with the very best sci-fi films meant for movie theaters (and apparently with a budget to match). There is an attention to detail in every single scene along with what I am sure are Easter Eggs meant for sci-fi fans (ranging from the film/Carl Sagan book “Contact” to the PC game, Homeworld).

To say that it is a feast for the eyes is not saying enough.

Story wise, some might find the multiple storylines challenging just as much as the non-linear timelines. For me, this is a big plus and I was delighted that as a viewer I was given the respect of not being a dim bulb unable to follow along.

Lovers of Asimov’s books risk being dissatisfied, maybe. The series takes liberties with the seminal works, borrowing here and there to create a series that might be most appropriately qualified as being “inspired by” rather than a rigid retelling of the novels.

Asimov, himself, noted that Foundation was unwieldy and lacked a necessary sense of suspense. This television series fixes that, but at the expense of it being more of cinematic translation of the books rather than an effort at bringing them unchanged to the screen (which almost anyone who has read the books can recognize as a largely impossible feat).

Bearing all of that in mind, I have to say that I loved it to pieces and am so looking forward to next season, I can hardly wait.

Intelligent, well acted, eye wateringly beautiful, and maybe occasionally lacking in some relief from the oh-so-serious tone, it sounds like it was pitched to Apple as requiring 80 episodes.

Based on this first season, I’m perfectly fine with that. Highly recommended!

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 01-11-2022, 09:52 AM

We've just started a series on Amazon Prime called "Holby Blue"

Well, we just finished episode 4.

It's from 2007 but it doesn't feel dated. It's fast paced with good story lines.

Best,
PJ
Old 01-11-2022, 10:00 AM
Charter Member

Station Eleven - one of the best shows/limited series I've seen in years on HBOMax. If you were a fan of The Leftovers or Maniac this show is for you.

Euphoria Season 2 - which just started back up and is NOT for the faint of heart but is so gritty and well done, again on HBOMax.

How To With Jon Wilson - so good! Really just a study of New York City and its people.
Old 01-11-2022, 10:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pura Vida View Post
Catching up on the three seasons of "Succession." In the beginning, I wasn't sure if I would enjoy it b/c they characters are all so morally flawed, and it was a little slow out of the gate. But knowing how much critical acclaim it's received, plus plenty of friends recommending it, I decided to stick with it... and by the middle of Season 1, I was invested in the characters and seeing where it would take me. I just started Season 3, and it continues to get better. I'm hoping to finish it, just in time for the next season of "Ozark" to drop.
I almost bailed in Season 1. Such unlikeable characters but it gets better every year. Love the Tom and Greg interactions.
Old 01-11-2022, 10:51 AM

For me music/arts documentaries have been the theme this year.

Three I've watched so far this January:

Karen Dalton: In My Own Time. Dalton was kind of the missing, female, link in the Fred Neil-Tim Hardin school of "folkies with very laid-back phrasing." Eventually, like those two, she at one point had some issues with opiates and dislike of showbiz expectations of a music career.

As a song stylist she's divisive. Some really like the way she inhabited and remade the songs she sang, and then I've had others not get through listening to one song of hers without deciding that she's terrible or at least not for them.

Live recordings that have emerged after her death and testimony in the film establish that she really worked on that idiosyncratic delivery and phrasing, it wasn't loose or accidental.

AGF note: she almost exclusively played 12-string when playing guitar (also played banjo) a lot like Fred Neill.

Kurt Vonnegut: Unstuck in Time. OK, not really music, but arts, and I once recorded several lyrics from Vonnegut novels as songs. Remember Boyhood, that fictional/narrative film from a few years back where the film maker decided to shoot it over a decade or so as the main actor grew up? Well, in this one the filmmaker struck up a friendship with Vonnegut while he was a student and filmed and talked with author right up the month of his death.

A good summary of Vonnegut's life, and the informal film clips are intermittently fascinating even to those who know his life and works pretty well.

Danny Says. This documentary is a few years old, but I hadn't seen it. Covers the career of a rock'n'roll Zelig Danny Fields, largely made up of recent interviews with Fields. Lots of names dropped and tea spilled from the Velvet Underground to the Ramones with stops with the Doors, Judy Collins, the MC5, The Stooges, Patti Smith and Edgar & Johnny Winter and more. Note if you have tender ears or an aversion to the 60-70s's NYC based demi-monde you likely won't care for this one.

Despite many of the talking heads on screen remarking how smart and important this Harvard educated prodigy was/is, I still am not sure how much he was "the man who..." and how much he was just someone on the scene with a certain flair for short-shelf-life hype. Fields presents himself more as the later.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 01-11-2022, 12:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post
I almost bailed in Season 1. Such unlikeable characters but it gets better every year. Love the Tom and Greg interactions.
Same, and for this very reason. Also, in Season 1, the camera would do this little jump / zoom like it was a 1% episode of "The Office." The writing and story improved throughout the first season and got noticeably better in Season 2. I'm on a pause b/c my wife is catching up with me, so we can watch Season 3 together.
Old 01-14-2022, 08:32 AM

Late to the party, but after getting 4 episodes into Ted Lasso on Apple TV, I'm hooked. Marvelous cast, great concept and clever dialogue are keeping me completely entertained.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic