The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 01-23-2020, 07:26 AM
Charter Member

Default David Olney - R.I.P. An appreciation.

I don't remember when I first heard David Olney singing perhaps 1991. I heard him singing either "Women Across The River" or this song - Jerusalem Tomorrow. (both on his "Deeper Well" album. I realised that this was a literate complex songwriter and craftsman. I immediately visited a small independent record shop and challenged him to source every album he could get by this David Olney chap.

I think it was in 2003 when I heard that David was to do a concert in a place in Kent - a fair journey from where we live, but my wife and I decided it was not a concert to miss, so we phoned and booked two tickets, then, on the day set off early for what proved to be a faster journey than we anticipated. We arrived at the venue and met the man who had organised the event, and asked him where we might go to get a meal before the concert. He told us that he was about to serve up a meal for his family and David and kindly invited us. I sat and dined (boeuf bourguignon?) and sat opposite David - here was, as I suspected , a deep and complex mind! The meal and the company was a sheer delight. (and he wore a brown hat throughout). I pretty soon incorporated some of his songs into my solo repertoire - few "got them"
David died suddenly at a folk festival in Florida (USA) five days ago - on the 18th of January. he was 12 days younger than I. I urge those who appreciate complex song crafting to investigate his repertoire. You will be rewarded. Farewell Mr Olney.
Old 01-23-2020, 08:29 AM
Charter Member

Thanks, Silly. Great interpretation. Why do I continue to miss great artists and only discover them after they've left us? I now have some digging to do.
Old 01-23-2020, 09:06 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Thanks, Silly! That was a treat. You and that nice Eastman did the song justice. I agree about David Olney - wonderful songwriter who will be missed.

Best,
Jayne
Old 01-24-2020, 09:49 PM

Nicely done.
Old 01-24-2020, 10:05 PM

Really great job!! I truly appreciate those lyrics and how they settle into this story and grab you! What a great good fortune you had in having a meal with him and getting to know him a bit before the concert. Thanks for sharing this, Andy!
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 01-24-2020, 10:27 PM
Charter Member

Very nicely done, Andy!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell