The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-01-2016, 09:16 PM

Default NGD: 2015 Gibson Sheryl Crow Southern Jumbo Supreme

Today, I received my first Gibson, which is also my first Adirondack topped guitar. I've never posted a NGD, but had to share this one. Earlier this year, I played a 2016 J-45 Standard at Fuller's Vintage Guitars that really caught my attention. A few months later I played a Fuller's Custom AJ Reissue that really threw me for a loop, so the hunt for a Gibson began. I loved the comfort of the slope shoulder and the feel of the short scale standard.

I've been intrigued with the 2012/2013 Sheryl Crow Southern Jumbo for a while. Just a great looking guitar with nice appointments. So I started looking for a used one. Earlier this week I started checking dealer websites to see if they had one by chance, and I stumbled upon a new 2015 Sheryl Crow Southern Jumbo Supreme at Rainbow Guitars in Tucson, AZ. I was unaware Gibson even issued this guitar (there's nothing on their website without using the Wayback Machine). I called Rainbow and unknowingly spoke with the owner, Harvey. After some research & a couple phone calls with Harvey, I decided to pull the trigger. I would definitely recommend Rainbow Guitars and plan on doing business with them again in the future. Harvey gave me a great deal from the start & was great to work with.

Quote:
The new Limited Edition Sheryl Crow Southern Jumbo Supreme 2015 is the most highly customized Southern Jumbo in Gibson’s history. Created for Sheryl Crow, the features of this 2015 SJ are designed to deliver the warm voice of our classic Southern Jumbo.

Gibson Limited Edition Sheryl Crow Southern Jumbo Supreme 2015 Features:
  • Limited Edition of 65 Worldwide
  • Montana Sunset Burst
  • Adirondack Red Spruce Top & Red Spruce Bracing
  • Mahogany Back and Sides
  • Compound Dovetail Neck-to-body Joint Secured with Hide Glue at the 14th Fret
  • Scalloped Top Bracing (Traditional 1930's advanced scalloped bracing)
  • Mahogany Neck
  • Modified "V" Neck Profile
  • 24 3/4" Scale Length
  • 1.725" Nut Width
  • Bone Nut & Saddle
  • Nickel Waverly Tuners with Ivoroid Buttons
  • Trance Audio Amulet M Pickup System
I also called Gibson to confirm it has the touted 2016 features of Plek and rolled finger board edges.

The following pics are of the actual guitar from Rainbow's website, as they are far better than anything I'll take. I think it looks very similar to John Thomas's 1943 Banner SJ sans the banner logo. Interestingly, Gibson issued some of these 2015 with the banner logo and some with the MOP logo/crown. Personally, I really like the MOP, but I wish it had the AJ style script. I may swap out the pick guard for a fire stripe one.

It sounds & plays great. Nice deep, rich tone in standard, DADGAD, and Open G tuning. Plays well under a pick and finger style and up the neck with a capo. It responds well to light touch and really digging in. I've heard about quality issues, but it's very well put together sans one imperfection under the finish on the neck at the 9th fret binding and one mar in the finish above the nut at the treble strings. It came strung with Gibson Masterbuilt Premium 80/20 Lights. I plan on swapping them to my preferred Martin Retro Lights, but figured I would get a sense of the 80/20's first. I can't wait to hear the Adi open up as it's a little tight at the moment. The grain really pops under the Montana Sunset Burst. This is my first guitar with Waverly tuners, and I'm impressed. I only play unplugged, so I'll have to take it to a buddies to try out the Trance Audio pickup.

It should be a fun 3 day weekend. Happy 4th of July!

Last edited by thegreatgumbino; 07-01-2016 at 09:33 PM.
Old 07-01-2016, 09:36 PM

Congrats. It looks awesome. I've never played an Addy Gibson, but I'm sure it kills. The other Southern Jumbo I was most impressed with was the Aaron Lewis. A truly huge sounding guitar, sadly, out of production. Enjoy your new Gibby.
Old 07-01-2016, 09:41 PM
Charter Member

Beautiful guitar, Gumbo. That's a lifer.

Play it in good health.

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 07-01-2016, 09:52 PM

Splendid acquisition ! Let us know how you like that Trance plugged in, I have had 3 and loved them all.
Gibson J-50 (K&K Pure Mini)
Martin D-35 (Trance Audio M)
Gibson J-35 Vintage (Trance Audio M)
Martin 1937 D-28 Authentic "Aged"
Old 07-01-2016, 10:20 PM

What a beauty! Congrats.
Old 07-01-2016, 10:34 PM
Charter Member

Gorgeous! Congratulations.

2017 Alvarez Yairi OY70CE - Sugaree
c.1966 Regal Sovereign R235 Jumbo - Old Dollar
2009 Martin 000-15 - Brown Bella
1977 Gibson MK-35 - Apollo
2004 Fender American Stratocaster - The Blue Max
2017 Fender Custom American Telecaster - Brown Sugar
Think Hippie Thoughts...
Old 07-01-2016, 10:38 PM
Charter Member

Good for you! Great looking Gibson! Congratulations!

- Glenn
Old 07-01-2016, 10:48 PM

VERY nice guitar. Congrats!!!!!!!
Old 07-01-2016, 10:50 PM

Sheryl Crow's are generally fantastic. Congratulations and enjoy.
Old 07-01-2016, 11:53 PM

Beautiful guitar!

Fullers is a great place to stop in......not so much if you are GASing.
Old 07-02-2016, 01:01 AM

Nice guitar!

I've never spoken to Rainbow Guitar's owner, but a good friend of mine lives in Tucson, and I've visited the store each time I've passed through town. The times I've been there they've had an excellent selection of both Martin and Gibson acoustic guitars, both standard models and limited editions like the guitar you just got. I've been able to do a lot side by side comparisons of really interesting instruments the times I've visited Rainbow Guitars.

It's a great store and I highly recommend it to anyone who finds themselves in the area. There's another great little store across the street called The Folk Shop, which carries not only guitars but also a wide array of folk music instruments like banjos, dulcimers, mandolins and so forth.

Anyway, congratulations on your cool new guitar. I particularly like the sunburst finish on it.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 07-02-2016, 04:26 AM

That's beautiful!

Congratulations.

Greg Rappleye
Old 07-02-2016, 04:45 AM

i love the rolled edges on the fretboard. after having my ae can't see why all guitars are not built this way
Old 07-02-2016, 04:47 AM
Charter Member

Great looking guitar! I like those non-belly bridges!

I'm really glad to hear about the good experience with Rainbow. I contacted them by email a few weeks ago about a used Collings they had and they were not so helpful. 2 days later they bumped the price by $1000 on their website! I just looked... they still have it ...at that bumped up price.. (sigh).
Old 07-02-2016, 05:00 AM
Resident Guitar Hack

Gorgeous guitar. Congrats!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
adirondack, gibson, scsj, southern jumbo, supreme