The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 01-11-2019, 05:52 AM

How about this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NK1Vrur_ewM
Old 01-11-2019, 03:30 PM

I haven't read the entire thread, but the whole "new isn't as good as it used to be" applies to everything. "It ain't like it used to be..."

Look at cars. Cars are more reliable and better equipped than ever and you still have people saying that they aren't as good as they used to be.

Bottom line, people hate change and evolving.

**THAT SAID!!!**

Everything, music included is become so technology driven that we as a society will soon not have any creative efforts put into any task. Look at photography. The camera does it ALL and people still think they are photographers and will argue with you to no end why their pictures should be hung in an art museum.

Music is no different. Most modern music is produced in a studio by people who are good with technology and how to manipulate things into "art." There are no more artists, just tech wiz's.

NOW GET OFF MY LAWN!!!
Old 01-11-2019, 05:38 PM
Charter Member

Technology is a double-edged sword. It's made music easier and more accessible than ever. Artists no longer need to book studio time or even have a record contract. Hook up to your laptop and upload to Bandcamp.

There are plenty of creative and talented artists --- arguably more than ever! But you have to wade through a sea of independent and uninspired major label recordings to find the true gems. But they're still there... my playlists are never empty or stale.
Old 01-12-2019, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pura Vida View Post
Technology is a double-edged sword. It's made music easier and more accessible than ever. Artists no longer need to book studio time or even have a record contract. Hook up to your laptop and upload to Bandcamp.

There are plenty of creative and talented artists --- arguably more than ever! But you have to wade through a sea of independent and uninspired major label recordings to find the true gems. But they're still there... my playlists are never empty or stale.
Bingo !

There is SOMETHING out there for pretty much everybody now, whereas before you were limited to radio/television.

However, there is now no money in good music.....

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 01-13-2019, 05:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Blue View Post
I haven't read the entire thread, but the whole "new isn't as good as it used to be" applies to everything. "It ain't like it used to be..."

...snip ...
Yup, even nostalgia ain't what it used to be!
Old 01-13-2019, 05:16 PM

"It's only castles burning." - Neil Young

Funny, when I glanced at the screen I thought for a second that said, "It's only cassettes burning."

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 01-13-2019, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Yup, even nostalgia ain't what it used to be!
Ahhh but it will be again one day.....

YouTube
Old 01-13-2019, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
"It's only castles burning." - Neil Young

Funny, when I glanced at the screen I thought for a second that said, "It's only cassettes burning."
How timely to post that. As I read another AGF post about the quality of todays music, I thought of todays' soullessness compared to, well, "Don't Let it Bring You Down"... I mean I respect the scientific method, and the authors' intellect of crunching the data into his presentation. But, as the saying goes, "Don't wee down my leg and tell me that it's raining". What passes for Country today wouldn't be recognized by it's ancestry, just like todays' soulless popular music cannot be held up to music of any age before it. Just my 2 cents (drops mic, steps off soapbox)
Old 01-13-2019, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by architype View Post
I saw the "Stop the snaps" video the other day and realized that I haven't listened to country radio for many many years...I haven't missed much.
Same here. I don't recognize any of the songs or artists mentioned other than Taylor Swift. I did notice that a few of those videos showed the artists moving/strutting around like hip hop artists.
Old 01-13-2019, 06:31 PM

Smile I LOVE MUSIC!!!

https://youtu.be/bFClhxM7LY4

Florida-Georgia Line, Tim McGraw, Darius Rucker, Blake Shelton, etc., made me come back to listening to secular music and showed me that if country music could be progressive that there was still hope. GangstaGrass is killing it. I like the music of the people regardless of the genre it is labeled with.

I grew up overcoming the deep divide between Black & White music and will never play those sick games ever again. I love what country has evolved into, it rocks, speaks loud and proud and you want to dance to it. Some of it has made me appreciate even rap music which I could only take in Gospel Rap.

I don't have time for hate, life is just too short. Too much beautiful music to be mined from the ore of the soul. We have been bombarded with noise for decades now, If you can get me singing along and grinning with you I will love what you are putting down.

Last edited by skypeace; 01-13-2019 at 06:43 PM.
Old 01-13-2019, 06:46 PM

i feel that most modern country music is just hashed over Rock music .
maybe trying to play Rock music that modern kids dont really care for.
Bluegrass is another story - its style is ever changing but it doesnt dump the past. I think thats more country than country music
Old 01-13-2019, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy Slaw View Post
Bingo !

There is SOMETHING out there for pretty much everybody now, whereas before you were limited to radio/television.

However, there is now no money in good music.....

When was there ever money in good music? Pop stars can make good money for a while. We tend to think the stuff that was popular when we were teens and had our first kiss, first car, first drink, first....was the greatest music ever because of the memories and experiences we associate with that music. Pop music of any genre is pretty much fluff.0, good. Don't believe it? Check out this link to see what awful crap was number 1 in whatever year you choose. There are some good and even great songwriters out there you'll never hear, because you have to look for them. They're not on clear channel radio, The Voice, America's Got a Short Attention Span et al.

I decided some years ago that I can easily go however many years I have left without hearing the played-to-death "classic rock" that I once loved when I was a 1970's teenager anymore. Familiarity does indeed breed contempt.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic