The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 12-28-2018, 05:52 AM

Default Who's using Instagram?

I've had an Instragram account for a long time, but didn't really do much with it other than look at my adult kids' Instagram accounts to see what was going on in their lives.

However, my daughter - who works in the music biz - has convinced me to use more seriously as a way to build up followers related to guitar and to help market/sell my music books and promote my instructional videos.

So about a month ago I started posting a guitar related photo everyday, set up a linktr.ee account to point Instagram followers to my stuff around the internet, etc.

So far, it seems to be an interesting effort. Definitely making some new contacts with it.

My Instagram account is @david_deloach_guitarist if you want to check it out.

If you are not familiar with Instragram, click on the photo to read the accompanying text.

Last edited by 815C; 12-28-2018 at 06:28 AM.
Old 12-28-2018, 08:57 AM

I'm on Instagram, but I'm not ready to share it. I've made some random posts and shared some guitar-related pictures but have a mind to start using it as a promotional tool to land a gig and chalk that off my bucket list.

It appears to be in the lead among all the other social media platforms with regards to growth. I don't use it so much but I definitely see growth in my "page" with regards to referrals so as a self promotional tool I see lots of potential. I like that you can now share "moments" (videos) instead of just static images. I've known some musicians to post songs, short greetings, promotional postcards with moving graphics, etc.
Old 12-28-2018, 09:20 AM
Charter Member

Being an old guy I no longer want to try and promote myself or be promoted to. I've always had an aversion to self promotion anyway. It's comforting for me to not have these concerns.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 12-28-2018, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
Being an old guy I no longer want to try and promote myself or be promoted to. I've always had an aversion to self promotion anyway. It's comforting for me to not have these concerns.
Being an old guy, I need to figure out a retirement income thus my investing time in promoting the guitar books and instruction videos I've created.

Self promotion doesn't come natural to most musicians - including me. But it's amazing what putting food on the table will enable you to do.
Old 12-28-2018, 09:37 AM

How does Instagram differ from a Facebook? I know a lot of the Mellinals I work with are into Instagram, but I’m not really sure what it is other than its “social media” I guess.
Old 12-28-2018, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadcutter View Post
How does Instagram differ from a Facebook? I know a lot of the Mellinals I work with are into Instagram, but I’m not really sure what it is other than its “social media” I guess.
Every Instagram post has to have a picture, and the text accompanying the picture is limited to a somewhat minimal length. And while you can view Instagram from a computer, you can only post to it from a smart phone.

Maybe I'm just lucky in my feed, but Instagram seems to have a lot less animosity (i.e. politics) than Facebook or Twitter.
Old 12-28-2018, 09:56 AM

I have never done Facebook but I enjoy Instagram. Since I have a smart phone I always have a camera on me and I like to take and share pictures of what is going on around me. It's a good way of staying in touch with my grown children and family without any gossip or politics.

I follow a group young photographers who travel the world to some interesting places and also young musicians that like to share. All in all it's a nice daily dose.
Old 12-28-2018, 10:02 AM
Charter Member

I am not on Instagram as I am not that interested in taking or sharing photos all that much. I reluctantly joined Facebook two years ago and think about dumping it every day but I'd miss the several professional groups that I participate in regularly as well as the people in them.
Old 12-28-2018, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 815C View Post
Every Instagram post has to have a picture, and the text accompanying the picture is limited to a somewhat minimal length. And while you can view Instagram from a computer, you can only post to it from a smart phone.

Maybe I'm just lucky in my feed, but Instagram seems to have a lot less animosity (i.e. politics) than Facebook or Twitter.
For Windows, you can download the app and post pics from a computer.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 12-28-2018, 04:00 PM

I feel that IG is much cleaner and less intrusive than FB. I actually prefer it much more.
Old 12-30-2018, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob77036 View Post
I feel that IG is much cleaner and less intrusive than FB. I actually prefer it much more.
Same here. I post music pics and video clips all the time. My family seems to enjoy them. The 60 sec limit on vids is nice too.

Another plus is my IG feed is not infested with the politicization of EVERYTHING, like twitter and FB. Music is the only refuge left for me to avoid it. I keep it off my IG feed at all costs. Most of who I follow and who follow me are other musicians that apparently feel the same way. It stays about the music.
Old 12-30-2018, 08:14 AM

sooner or later, it will get ruined too.
Old 12-30-2018, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
I just want to respond to this...not to change your mind, but because I used to have that kind of attitude towards self-promotion.

But at one point, I had to do some self-promotion in order to propel my (non-musical) career: it was either be my own boss (and self-promote), or be depleted and deadened by the demands of a corporate employer.

I was lucky enough to run into a fine fellow who was not at all self-conscious about self-promotion, as long as it was rooted in honesty. He told me, "If you believe in what you do, you owe it to yourself and the world to find and connect the people who will benefit from what you have to offer." It changed my attitude about self-promotion...not immediately, but over time...because I do believe that I have something to offer others.

And it isn't that what I have to offer is necessarily better or more special than what anyone else has to offer. But some people have liked it and benefitted from what I did professionally, and some people experience some pleasure and joy from listening to my music. So it became simple (for me); It hinged on valuing what i do enough to weather the negative reactions (in order to garner the positive responses).

"Music for a while
Shall all your cares beguile."

-Henry Purcell

P.S. I haven't started using Instagram yet, but this thread is timely, and might propel me in that direction.
Old 12-30-2018, 08:33 AM

Never had a Facebook, Twitter, Myspace, or Instagram account.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg

Last edited by Murphy Slaw; 12-30-2018 at 08:48 AM.
Old 12-30-2018, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyhu View Post
I just want to respond to this...not to change your mind, but because I used to have that kind of attitude towards self-promotion.

But at one point, I had to do some self-promotion in order to propel my (non-musical) career: it was either be my own boss (and self-promote), or be depleted and deadened by the demands of a corporate employer.

I was lucky enough to run into a fine fellow who was not at all self-conscious about self-promotion, as long as it was rooted in honesty. He told me, "If you believe in what you do, you owe it to yourself and the world to find and connect the people who will benefit from what you have to offer." It changed my attitude about self-promotion...not immediately, but over time...because I do believe that I have something to offer others.

And it isn't that what I have to offer is necessarily better or more special than what anyone else has to offer. But some people have liked it and benefitted from what I did professionally, and some people experience some pleasure and joy from listening to my music. So it became simple (for me); It hinged on valuing what i do enough to weather the negative reactions (in order to garner the positive responses).

"Music for a while
Shall all your cares beguile."

-Henry Purcell

P.S. I haven't started using Instagram yet, but this thread is timely, and might propel me in that direction.
It sounds like he mentored you in a way, told you how the playing field had change and you adjusted it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic