The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 12-27-2018, 12:55 PM
Guitar Gourmet

I am a "Sound Designer," that's a fancy title for an Audio Recording Engineer/Producer with a specialty. I've been at it for thirty-eight years and started on analog gear (which I still use). Loose clothing and ties aren't wise around machinery like that so I don't wear 'em. For work it is nice, clean jeans and casual shirts.

However, for funerals, weddings, formal dates, the symphony, and formal occasions such as when I was ordained as an elder in my church, I wear a suit. When my mother-in-law died my suit had gotten old and large (!) so my wife took me out and bought me a nice one to attend the funeral. It was my first in years. It is a pretty nice one that we had altered to fit and to use braces. I've got the nice stuff to go with it and we update the tie PRN. It fits really well so discomfort is minimized. But I've lost a bunch more weight so it is borderline again.

I really enjoy taking out my lovely wife for a formal date. We try to do it once a year.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 12-27-2018, 01:26 PM

I don't know about performers having to dress up but there are still plenty of places like restaurants, clubs and theaters that have dress codes.
Old 12-27-2018, 01:38 PM

I see plenty of bluegrass acts dressed up when performing. The Del McCoury Band and The Earls of Lester come to mind as two that I've seen recently that fit the bill.

As for myself, I had to dress up for work for more than 35 years. When I retired so did that attire. The only time I've worn a jacket and tie since was at my father's funeral.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 12-27-2018, 01:43 PM

Jeans or hiking pants type of person...
Gamma G-25 Amp (electric)
Old 12-27-2018, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdaddy View Post
I see plenty of bluegrass acts dressed up when performing. The Del McCoury Band and The Earls of Lester come to mind as two that I've seen recently that fit the bill.
As is Lyle Lovitt. I've seen him in concert several times and he is always dressed very nicely...usually a suit and tie.
Old 12-27-2018, 01:56 PM

Er, I guess that's not what you meant...
*quietly puts wizard costume and hat back in the closet*
Old 12-27-2018, 04:04 PM
Charter Member

Now days for a nice restaurant , a sport coat or sweater, and button down shirt and nice jeans, but that's about it

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 12-27-2018, 04:21 PM

I'm not at all concerned about how other people dress.

2005 Gibson J-45
1985 Guild D17
2012 Fender Am. Std. Stratocaster
1997 Guild Bluesbird
Old 12-27-2018, 04:42 PM

I travel every week for work and going through the airports I will agree that people dress less than they did 20 years ago when I first started flying. Gym pants and flip flops for some.
Old 12-27-2018, 05:36 PM

Yes.

I've been retired 22 years and I've worn shorts, sandals and T shirt the vast majority of that time.

However, I still own a tux, and I like to wear it. A tux was part of my working life, and I got used to wearing one to the nicer events I attended while working. That, and I still like to see my sweetheart dressed to the nines, and that also requires a tux.
Old 12-27-2018, 06:22 PM

Extremely casual dress for me. I hate dressing up. But I do wear a suit to Mass every Sunday. It’s the right thing to do, in my opinion. Still don’t like it, though!
Old 12-27-2018, 06:28 PM
Charter Member

My employer for the last 14 years has no dress code, and I live in a relatively mild climate, so I rarely wear jeans/pants, let alone anything dressed up. I'm so much more productive in a comfortable pair of shorts and a t-shirt (w/ a hoodie, if it's cold or rainy).

Most of the artists I listen to wear what they want, as well. In some cases, they're as casual as I am, and in other cases, they have some sort of outfit. St. Vincent is like a modern-day, female David Bowie, re-creating her persona with each album, including the hair and clothes. And James Murphy (LCD Soundsystem) has been wearing the same outfit at his shows for years (starts in shirtsleeves, but ends up ditching it for a plain white tee).
Old 12-27-2018, 06:52 PM
Charter Member

Hi Jamie,

I wear nice clothes when I go out in public. I don't wear a tie much anymore, but on some occasions (church, going to a nice theater, out to dinner) I will wear a sport coat over a nice pair of slacks (or Dockers), a collared shirt, and a sweater vest. It's always cool where we live, so having extra clothes on is actually more comfortable. At home I wear knock-around clothes.

Our middle daughter is like this and so is our oldest grand daughter. They call it, "Overdressed for every occasion." They like to look good and they do.

But these days it's hard to be underdressed considering how many people are dressing.

Though I am retired now, I have a lot of very nice clothes that I needed over the years for my job, and I hate to see them sit in a closet unworn now. I don't go overboard, but I prefer to look good. I also think that a person should dress for the occasion. Many guys in my generation, including me, tend to wear a suit and tie to a funeral as a sign of respect, for example.

The west coast of the USA has, I think, a lower standard of dress compared to the east coast of the USA.

- Glenn

Last edited by Glennwillow; 12-27-2018 at 06:58 PM.
Old 12-27-2018, 07:08 PM

I find it works in my favor I just dress normally for me, and I find that people appreciate it.

I have total strangers, men and women, come up to me frequently and tell me how nice I look.

Being married as long as I have been, it's nice to have other women tell me I look good
Old 12-27-2018, 09:44 PM

I had a Wall Street type of client who had 100 suits. I once counted them. Me? Suits are for weddings and funeral. Clean jeans and casual shirts, fleece or sweater over them work just fine and are what my customers are most comfortable seeing.

For performance, it depends, Often "old style" clothing - suspenders and bow ties, fedora....

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic