The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 01-04-2019, 07:11 PM

My cardiologist has given me the OK to begin riding a bike, so I’ve been doing some research on used bikes. Not having ridden for over 20 years I have been bedazzled by the different specs, options, details, etc. available on today’s bikes.
In other words, I don’t even know where to start!

My last bike was a 21 speed I picked up at Sears,and there wasn’t much to the purchase except ride it in the parking lot and then pay for it. Now, there are so many sizes(how doesn’t that work?)and types of bikes that it seems crazy!

Maybe I should try to locate a bike shop to ask them my questions, but since I’m looking to buy used I hate bothering them knowing I’m not buying from them.
Old 01-05-2019, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLRon View Post
My cardiologist has given me the OK to begin riding a bike, so I’ve been doing some research on used bikes. Not having ridden for over 20 years I have been bedazzled by the different specs, options, details, etc. available on today’s bikes.
In other words, I don’t even know where to start!

My last bike was a 21 speed I picked up at Sears,and there wasn’t much to the purchase except ride it in the parking lot and then pay for it. Now, there are so many sizes(how doesn’t that work?)and types of bikes that it seems crazy!

Maybe I should try to locate a bike shop to ask them my questions, but since I’m looking to buy used I hate bothering them knowing I’m not buying from them.
Some markets have very good used bike shops.

Fit and comfort are of utmost importance but you have to know this about the topic. You also have to build some fitness and conditioning before making too many judgements about that. The big cushioned seat that might be nice if you haven't been on a bike will be uncomfortable and work against you once you've got at it. Sitting super upright might seem right at first but once you're at it it could be too much pressure on your spine and not have you in a good position for control.

I love great independent bike stores but know if you step into a Trek store you'll get a good base level of knowledge and staff training. Check out a bunch of shops just as you might like doing so with guitars.

With so much choice be careful about a salesperson being too enthusiastic about their favorites and not promoting what's best for you.

The bike Neil got here is a great type and model for versatility. So is the gravel/tourer type I posted.

Go rent bikes. In my area some of the Trek dealers, parks or resort areas rent state of the art new models and you get a voucher for a discount when you buy the bike.

One observation as a bike community leader is seeing a whole lot of friendliness and diversity in the MTB and fat bike club vs many road ride clubs
being very oriented toward speed and fitness. Finding a club is great but for starts you want one that has welcoming activities for new riders. In my part of the country brew pubs and cafes have club rides and groups that are very friendly.

Look for something like this. The brewery over the hill from me, one of our area independent shops, and a club I'm in have rides for bikes and people in all shapes, sizes, weights and forms. They are amazing for people wanting to get into it and change life style. Rent, borrow, and find something like that to start.

One more bit. Bikes have a purchase or quality level threshold just like guitars for quality and performance. A spot where you'll really want to do it. You don't have to get the best, but you needs to be at entry level for quality product.

Good luck and enjoy it all!
Old 01-05-2019, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post

Fit and comfort are of utmost importance but you have to know this about the topic. You also have to build some fitness and conditioning before making too many judgements about that. The big cushioned seat that might be nice if you haven't been on a bike will be uncomfortable and work against you once you've got at it. Sitting super upright might seem right at first but once you're at it it could be too much pressure on your spine and not have you in a good position for control.

I love great independent bike stores but know if you step into a Trek store you'll get a good base level of knowledge and staff training. Check out a bunch of shops just as you might like doing so with guitars.

With so much choice be careful about a salesperson being too enthusiastic about their favorites and not promoting what's best for you.

The bike Neil got here is a great type and model for versatility. So is the gravel/tourer type I posted.

Go rent bikes. In my area some of the Trek dealers, parks or resort areas rent state of the art new models and you get a voucher for a discount when you buy the bike.

One observation as a bike community leader is seeing a whole lot of friendliness and diversity in the MTB and fat bike club vs many road ride clubs
being very oriented toward speed and fitness. Finding a club is great but for starts you want one that has welcoming activities for new riders. In my part of the country brew pubs and cafes have club rides and groups that are very friendly.

Look for something like this. The brewery over the hill from me, one of our area independent shops, and a club I'm in have rides for bikes and people in all shapes, sizes, weights and forms. They are amazing for people wanting to get into it and change life style. Rent, borrow, and find something like that to start.

One more bit. Bikes have a purchase or quality level threshold just like guitars for quality and performance. A spot where you'll really want to do it. You don't have to get the best, but you needs to be at entry level for quality product.

+1 on all of the above. I particularly find gravel riding much more enjoyable and other riders seem much happier away from the danger of becoming road pizzas because of distracted riders with road rage issues and are generally higher on endorphins.

Speaking of breweries, that’s one thing I also really enjoy. Trail riding and microbrews are closely aligned and I’m enjoying that lifestyle that seems to span the generations. Last summer my wife and I did a couple of brewery rides. There’s even a brewery off one of the local Montour Trail spurs. DUIs are less likely when you’re off-roading lol!

One thing I’d stress is to ride earlier in the day, drink lots of fluids and don’t be stingy with taking supplements like a good multivitamin. Also, a candy bar or a protein bar is good in a pinch when you feel like you’re about to “bonk” from depletion. Most importantly though, don’t push yourself too hard at first. Ramp up to it. Start light with a 4 mile ride at a leisurely pace and pretty soon you’ll find yourself riding 30 miles and wanting to keep going. You have to be careful with that - especially in the summer. Again: water, reset and simple calories are key.

BTW, I just took the Marlin for quick 10 mile ride. Nothing too strenuous but where I used to struggle with the smaller 4900 I find that the Marlin is a beast. I broke a good sweat and don’t feel like I overexerted myself at all. The real tell will be in about an hour when the endorphins have worn off and any aches and pains present themselves. Then I’ll know for sure if it’s a keeper.

One thing I will say, if I do keep it I’m changing out all the contact points (grips, saddle and pedals.) We’ll see about getting a set of backup rims should I decide to take it on an extended ride on pavement. Wider knobby tires have their place but can cause numbness and offer more rolling resistance. I’m intrigued by ur concept of going tubeless - I hear they’re less likely to get pinch flats at lower psi - but the stock rims are not tubeless ready.
Old 01-05-2019, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post

Great info! Thank you!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic