The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 07-09-2018, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tico View Post
Many people don't take science too seriously because it avoids stating things as absolute fact and, when justified, science will change it's position about what it claimed yesterday.

Newly discovered evidence proven by independent testing by others results in science "changing its mind".
Some find this discomforting and suspicious.
Further, they poopoo science as just "opinions".
Next, enter the PC thing that everyone's opinions are equal, therefore whatever I think is as valid as what Einstein thought .....

Science cares about what's true, not protecting what there is insufficient evidence for.

Being willing to admit you were wrong to believe something is not a bad thing.
It's a good thing.
Very well said indeed............

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 07-09-2018, 04:11 PM

i got my own theories, but cant really explain them and the math is beyond anything possible yet, anyway, the earth will die before anything happens in this universe, when the sun reaches its life span, it will turn into a red giant, meaning it will span to the the orbit of mars most likely, instead of 1 million miles in diameter, it could go to 300mil or greater, but that wont be for another 4.5 billion years, the real problem is- will guitar center be around for another 20 years?- LOL
Fender Strat Partscaster
Ibanez SR400 EQM bass
Old 07-09-2018, 04:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobe View Post
Theory is theory. Nothing more and nothing less. Definitive is what we seek. Theory is conjecture as we struggle towards the final answer.
Well then, you should avoid each and every scientific theory, past, present and future.

No scientific theory provides a final answer. A scientific theory is simply the best explanation of all currently known relevant empirical facts concerning the topic area. Thus, each scientific theory is tentative and subject to falsification, in whole or in part, based on newly acquired evidence. In addition, scientific theories make predictions of certain (as of yet) unobserved phenomena. As those predictions are later observed or encountered, the confidence in the theory is increased.

It's a matter of probability, not certainty.

Last edited by sdelsolray; 07-09-2018 at 05:14 PM.
Old 07-09-2018, 05:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Theory: Systematically organized knowledge,esp a set of assumptions or statements devised to explain a phenomenon or class of phenomena. 2: Abstract reasoning: speculation. That is from the dictionary. You can define theory all you want but don't get confused. It is what it is.
You are forgetting use of the adjective "scientific", as in "scientific theory".

Please describe, in your own words, what is meant by the term "scientific theory".
Old 07-09-2018, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
You are forgetting use of the adjective "scientific", as in "scientific theory".

Please describe, in your own words, what is meant by the term "scientific theory".
Truth is truth and is verifiable. Hard to get to sometimes but that is the goal. 'Scientific Theory' is a made up term to give science some wiggle room. That is fine in my opinion. You are going down the road in pursuit of the prove out. Until you hit proof you are still in theory. Much can be learned along the way but let's not mince words. A 'Theory' will always be just that. 'Scientific Theory" does not get a free pass because it's 'Scientific'. You either prove your thought beyond doubt or it continues to be your best opinion on the matter. Don't make me give examples.
Old 07-09-2018, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Truth is truth and is verifiable. Hard to get to sometimes but that is the goal. 'Scientific Theory' is a made up term to give science some wiggle room. That is fine in my opinion. You are going down the road in pursuit of the prove out. Until you hit proof you are still in theory. Much can be learned along the way but let's not mince words. A 'Theory' will always be just that. 'Scientific Theory" does not get a free pass because it's 'Scientific'. You either prove your thought beyond doubt or it continues to be your best opinion on the matter. Don't make me give examples.
I myself am dying to hear what you call examples.

And by the way truth and facts are not even close to being analogous.........

Old 07-09-2018, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Scientific theory requires proof.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 07-09-2018, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmyAddison View Post
I myself am dying to hear what you call examples.

And by the way truth and facts are not even close to being analogous.........
Really? By the way, I mentioned truth in my last post but I did not mention facts. Facts are a stepping stone towards truth. All for it. You want examples? We have an historical record of misfires. That is how we move along. Who or what are you defending?
Old 07-09-2018, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Truth is truth and is verifiable. 'Scientific Theory' is a made up term to give science some wiggle room.
A scientific theory is a well-substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world
that is acquired through the scientific method and repeatedly tested and confirmed
through observation and experimentation.
Scientific theories are the most reliable, rigorous, and comprehensive form of scientific knowledge. wiki

Also truth is determined by history. What was true 200 years ago may not be true today.
That which is considered true today may not be true in 200 years.
Old 07-09-2018, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Really? By the way, I mentioned truth in my last post but I did not mention facts. Facts are a stepping stone towards truth. All for it. You want examples? We have an historical record of misfires. That is how we move along. Who or what are you defending?
Reality, not playing your "truth/word" games.....bye.

Old 07-09-2018, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj144 View Post
Scientific theory requires proof.
Yes it does. But it only pertains to specifics. Only a part of the big picture. Each piece of the puzzle helps. No one has finished the complete puzzle.
Old 07-09-2018, 07:16 PM
Get off my lawn kid

We have all kinds of science, all kinds of truths. I wouldn't get too worked up over either as mankind has a habit of messing both up one way or another.

Anyway,
Quote:
Does anyone have any scientific ideas or theories as to how the universe and the earth and the world could have come into existence? I have no idea. It's beyond me.
We have theories, but no proof. We have beliefs, but too many to name, too many to merge into one concrete idea, too many to make a common consensus.

We are here. Make the best of it.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 07-09-2018, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
Well then, you should avoid each and every scientific theory, past, present and future.

No scientific theory provides a final answer. A scientific theory is simply the best explanation of all currently known relevant empirical facts concerning the topic area. Thus, each scientific theory is tentative and subject to falsification, in whole or in part, based on newly acquired evidence. In addition, scientific theories make predictions of certain (as of yet) unobserved phenomena. As those predictions are later observed or encountered, the confidence in the theory is increased.

It's a matter of probability, not certainty.
That was well said. I don't think we are in disagreement.
Old 07-09-2018, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmyAddison View Post
Reality, not playing your "truth/word" games.....bye.
Sorry. We only have words here. I really don't mean to offend. So my apologies are in order.
Old 07-09-2018, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Song View Post
A scientific theory is a well-substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world
that is acquired through the scientific method and repeatedly tested and confirmed
through observation and experimentation.
Scientific theories are the most reliable, rigorous, and comprehensive form of scientific knowledge. wiki

Also truth is determined by history. What was true 200 years ago may not be true today.
That which is considered true today may not be true in 200 years.
I missed this post. (sorry, I seem to be making enemies!). I stand by truth. It is consistent. It does not falter. In speaking of our existence we all seem to reach out for answers. That is our curiosity. Considered truth doesn't count. What is real remains today and 200 years from now. I guess it is up to us to discover it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic