The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 05-27-2018, 09:40 AM

I saw a picture of it on Facebook and while I thought it was cool your picture do it more justice.
Old 05-27-2018, 10:21 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
I agree with Bruce, I saw this in person and it is every bit as beautiful as it looks in the pictures and more so. I would say the pic guard et al is more greyish green in person and is really a very cool look. It sounds good even unamplified.
Tom, I agree about the color of the Myrtle burl under shop light, thank good ol’ Mr Sun for the difference. And what a beautiful morning we have here in California today!

The recent article has been picked by the Press Democrat, the bigger local newspaper. Probably won’t make it to the Times, but you never know.
Old 05-27-2018, 12:59 PM
Music soothes the soul!

Beautiful Wells there Bruce. I can see what grabbed you. Congrats!! 🎉
Old 05-31-2018, 12:01 PM
AGF Sponsor

There's been some shuffling and re-prioritization since my last post. And I have hardly done any guitar making for the past three weeks, which is a long time for me.

Tom B'sox visit was shorter than I expected, but we got the work done, and that is a good thing because the guy in line before him is not ready to go, and Tom is, so as soon as I am done with Ben McKee's guitar, that's what is going to happen. Or at least that's how it looks at the moment.

My daughter, Laurelyn Maude, is planning on building a guitar here in the shop this summer, and has a fairly fixed window within which that can happen (summer), so that may happen in the middle of Tom's guitar, between the body and the neck, I'd guess. I plan to build a guitar along side her, which will clearly illustrate the moves she will emulate, and then I will try not to mess up my relationship with her while doing a certain amount of "quality control" on her guitar. It is our plan to sell this guitar, a true Sexauer, for enough to pay her relatively modest costs through the building period, that being how I price my own work. You will hear more about that later, as this will be a Very Good Deal for some forward thinking customer, and the earlier someone steps up, the more control they will have over the outcome. 0/00/000/OM is so far undecided, for instance. Inquiring minds will want to know about the bottom line; some where under half my retail in the answer.

Tim Porter has received his guitar. He hasn't said too much about it, but did use the word "Fantastic" in a positive way. And he paid me.

Here is my start on Ben's neck:

Old 06-01-2018, 04:13 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default Imagine this!

Flying alligator? It'll do the job. It is much smaller than it appears on my screen.

For those who may not have been following the story, this Is Ben McKee's new guitar, and his day job is the alt-pop band "Imagine Dragons". See, it all makes sense now!

Last edited by Bruce Sexauer; 06-01-2018 at 04:20 PM.
Old 06-01-2018, 04:15 PM
Charter Member

Bruce that came out great...
Old 06-01-2018, 04:38 PM

The dragon came out great, nice touch for sure.
Old 06-01-2018, 07:29 PM
AGF Sponsor

I finished sanding the neck, still working on the body. Here's the headstock with sealer:

Although the body is BRW, the headplates are Cocobolo. My logo is snail, in this case.

When I put truss rod access on the headstock, I treat the cover as a graphic element. If the Dragon looks imbalanced toward the top of the field to your eye, as it currently does to mine, this should be resolved when I'm done.
Old 06-02-2018, 04:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
I finished sanding the neck, still working on the body. Here's the headstock with sealer:
With a little tweaking to emphasize the 's' curve, it looks like the dragon inlay could move to the top, replace the 'S' logo, and in fact, BE the logo.
Old 06-02-2018, 06:24 AM
Charter Member

Cute little dragon bruce. I didn’t think to talk to you about visual art the wood type except the Sexauer birds, which i get a kick out of.
Old 06-02-2018, 10:01 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmagill View Post
With a little tweaking to emphasize the 's' curve, it looks like the dragon inlay could move to the top, replace the 'S' logo, and in fact, BE the logo.
I too thought of that, but not until I looked at the picture of the completed work. Maybe I’ll get another chance, as this is the 4th guitar for band members, and there is a 5th on the books.
Old 06-02-2018, 10:06 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmat View Post
Cute little dragon bruce. I didn’t think to talk to you about visual art the wood type except the Sexauer birds, which i get a kick out of.
Thank you, John. I have been doing the birds in a progressive manner since the mid-seventies, and probably always will. They are all rooted in the same inspirational moment, but I have gotten much better at them, which is what keeps me going. As we learn more about dinosaurs, which are seemingly related to dragons, science suggests that they are related to birds. Extending this to my Guitars is nearly a logic chain. Nearly.
Old 06-03-2018, 12:49 PM
AGF Sponsor

This BRW looks SO delicious to me with it's first coat of varnish now dry and ready to abrade.

Old 06-05-2018, 05:35 PM
AGF Sponsor

Today I applied the 4th coat of oil varnish to Ben's JB-15, so we're about half way. I had hoped to capture the color of the mahogany as it appears to me, but I don't see in in the photos. What a great color it is in reality. The BRW is easy, by comparison.

Old 06-05-2018, 06:12 PM
Charter Member

Both woods are beautiful maestro...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop