The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 07-26-2016, 08:25 PM

Default My first string buzzes sometimes

Can anyone guess why my first string buzzes a little but not all the time? Also, the buzzing I hear stops almost immediately after picking the string. Then the string sounds good until the sustain stops. This would make sense if I were getting fret buzz at first but it stops when the string is not vibrating as much, thereby not hitting a fret. I'm going to change strings soon. When I do I plan to examine the bottom of the saddle and inside the slot. I have no reason to suspect a problem to be there except the bridge and saddle play a part in the sound. I figure I'll check any easy stuff myself before having a luthier look at it. I have two stock Ibanez saddles and one tusq saddle in addition to the bone saddle that is in the guitar now.

I doubt anyone can give an educated guess at my problem without handling the guitar. But if any one can, just list the possible causes for one string, the first E string in this case to have a fret buzz sound other than actual fret buzz. All I have done regarding a setup for an acoustic guitar is I've sanded the bottom of the saddles I have to set the action and adjusted the truss rod. The strings are ready to be replaced just under my normal use. Maybe the string is just old.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Jack
Old 07-26-2016, 08:48 PM
Charter Member

Maybe the saddle has been adjusted just a little too low for this one string?

Is it only when open, or does it do it all the way up the neck?

Frets.com has great troubleshooting tips for buzzes -
Old 07-26-2016, 08:51 PM

Sometimes if you try to set the action too low, without adjusting other aspects of the guitar first (namely the relief), the string will slap against the last fret on the fretboard, then once the vibration of the string lessens, the buzz ends.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair