The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 07-26-2016, 11:05 AM

Default Any advice for a DIY neck repair.

Hi there,

New to the forum. I hope I'm posting in a suitable place.
I'm asking for any advice on repairing
this yamaha.

Pic1
Pic2
Pic3

I've got 3 guitars that have needed attention for a long time.
I hadn't ever attempted a repair until today.

Today I started on an old Hofner with a neck break near the headstock It's currently clamped and drying.
(Titebond Original)

Looking for any tips on how I should attempt the above Yamaha.
It's not an expensive model.
I'm not too concerned about cosmetics - but's it's always sounded pretty good and I would just like to get it
playable again - if there's an easy enough solution.
It's not a complete break and is fairly tight. In the photos I put a little pressure on to show a gap.

Regards and thanks for reading this far.

Last edited by pokks; 07-26-2016 at 11:12 AM.
Old 07-26-2016, 01:35 PM

I'm not a repair guy, so I don't have much experience in repairs.
It appears to me the break is all the way through the neck, it's the fingerboard holding it together. If the break fits tightly, flexing it open and working in some glue and then clamping it till it dries would probably work. HHG would be the best, but Titebond would also work. You could thin the Titebond with water (about 10%) without significantly affecting the strength.
Clamping will be tricky, I'll leave that recommendation for someone that's actually done some of these.
et al
Old 07-26-2016, 01:42 PM

Get some Titebond in there, clamp it and call it a day.

I make cauls that are arched like the neck is and lined with cork to distribute the pressure. You would want to make a caul for the fretboard side to. Don't clamp down on the frets so either make a caul with slots in it or just make them fit between the frets. Loosen the truss rod all the way before doing this job.

Get the glue in there on both faces of the crack then clean up with a wet rag. Try not to get so much in there that you muck up the truss rod. You just want to wet both sides. You can open and close the joint to suck in the glue and distribute it evenly. In the tight areas of the crack you can use canned air to try and blow it in. You can also cut Titebond with a bit of water to help it wick in. (Google the percentage, I think it's 10% but cannot remember for sure.) As you apply clamping pressure clean up the squeeze out. Next day sand it out with progressively finer grits till you get all the glue boogers off and bring it up to a nice polish.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair