The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 07-24-2016, 07:17 PM

Default Please look at this ding. Run away?

Hi guys. I was hoping to get some guidance on a possible used guitar deal. It has this ding, I am trying to get more info regarding how long it has been there etc. Supposedly, the case latch hit it. I assume there is only so much you can tell me from a picture but what do you think?
Old 07-24-2016, 07:27 PM

The size and shape means its their forever unless you do a top change, you cannot hide that one.

So long as you can live with the way it looks, then its fine.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 07-24-2016, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirwa View Post
The size and shape means its their forever unless you do a top change, you cannot hide that one.

So long as you can live with the way it looks, then its fine.

Steve
Thank you Steve. I was concerned that it could develop into a crack, cosmetically I don't really care.
Old 07-24-2016, 08:17 PM

I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 07-24-2016, 11:13 PM

Yeo, just a "case bite," and only a cosmetic issue.

Frank Ford
Old 07-25-2016, 12:44 AM

That's cool purfling. What kind of guitar is it?
Old 07-25-2016, 08:52 AM

It's a 70s Alvarez Yari. The owner said it happened when he bought it back then. First day he owned it. Thanks again for the great advice.
Old 07-25-2016, 09:12 AM

If the owner is telling the truth about it happening 40 years ago, I believe the chances of it developing into a crack are pretty slim.
Guitar cases are notorious for creating this type of damage.
Old 07-25-2016, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73Fender View Post
Hi guys. I was hoping to get some guidance on a possible used guitar deal. It has this ding, I am trying to get more info regarding how long it has been there etc. Supposedly, the case latch hit it. I assume there is only so much you can tell me from a picture but what do you think?
Hah, I have one of those in the top of a Gurian that was custom built for me 30+ years ago. The fang bite came in the first year as I was removing the guitar from the case at an outdoor concert - the wind caught the case lid at just the right time. It happens.

George
Old 07-25-2016, 11:22 AM
Charter Member

I have a ding like that in one of my guitars that happened changing strings. A string broke as I was unwinding it; it flailed around and hit the guitar making a dent just like that one. I notice it every time I pick up the guitar. It drives me nuts. In my case, it was already my guitar so I didn't have a choice. I guess what I'm saying is that it's probably not going to be a detriment to the tone or longevity of the guitar, but if it's going to drive you nuts, then maybe it's not for you.
Old 07-25-2016, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickstep192 View Post
I have a ding like that in one of my guitars that happened changing strings. A string broke as I was unwinding it; it flailed around and hit the guitar making a dent just like that one. I notice it every time I pick up the guitar. It drives me nuts. In my case, it was already my guitar so I didn't have a choice. I guess what I'm saying is that it's probably not going to be a detriment to the tone or longevity of the guitar, but if it's going to drive you nuts, then maybe it's not for you.
No that would not bother me as far as looks go, I think it is where my arm would cover it any way. If I did it myself that would bug me. It is a 70s Alvarez Yari, with most likely laminated sides and back (his laminate methods were supposedly not your standard method..solid wood laminates) and other wise very clean. These are known to be very rugged. Actually, back in the 70s I had one, was at a party and due to over indulging (it was the 70s), I was having trouble playing. I threw the guitar at a wall and it had no noticeable effect, maybe a small ding or two.
Old 07-25-2016, 12:17 PM

duplicate post

Last edited by 73Fender; 07-29-2016 at 04:15 PM. Reason: duplicate post
Old 07-25-2016, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73Fender View Post
It's a 70s Alvarez Yari. The owner said it happened when he bought it back then. First day he owned it. Thanks again for the great advice.

Funny, when I saw that purfling it reminded me of my mid 70's Yairi Rambling 12 string.
I wouldn't worry about the ding.
Old 07-26-2016, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr LV19E View Post
Funny, when I saw that purfling it reminded me of my mid 70's Yairi Rambling 12 string.
I wouldn't worry about the ding.
Do you still have it or do you have a great memory?

I'm recently developing an interest in the old Yairis. The high quality materials and build quality combined with the low price of entry is tempting for me.

And I like the laminate aspect too, some of these high priced boutique or major maker guitars almost scare me with their price and the TLC required.

Thanks again, this one is a remote deal, I may go for it if I can work a good price. There is a 7 day return period too.
Old 07-26-2016, 09:39 AM

duplicate post again

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair