The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 07-26-2016, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Vibrato View Post
Maybe it's silly for me to be concerned about working to such close tolerances,
Nut slot height is critical to playability, and we're talking 0.001" is noticeable and 0.005" is huge. There's nothing silly about working to close tolerances on the nut, it's absolutely required.
It might be a little silly to think that specialized nut files are necessary to achieve those tolerances. It may take two or three times longer with more primitive tools, but the same tolerances can be achieved.
As a example, with a binding jig and laminate trimmer, it takes less than an hour to cut the binding channel. You can take a couple of days doing it with a gramil, and the results can be at least as good, maybe better.
et al
Old 07-26-2016, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger Knox View Post
Nut slot height is critical to playability, and we're talking 0.001" is noticeable and 0.005" is huge.
That's a great way of putting it, and it's very true.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
There's nothing wrong with being a perfectionist Hot V.
I guess "perfectionist" sounds better than "neurotic". I'll go with that from now on. Ha ha! Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouieAtienza View Post
Well it's not the tool, it's the surgeon. ...
Truer words have never been spoken.
Old 07-26-2016, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Vibrato View Post
Truer words have never been spoken.
I tell people I help out that the goal is as perfectly playing a guitar for one's style as possible. The nut slot is just one part of the equation.

I do polish my nut slots with 400, 600, and 1000 grit. Just filing invariably leaves some file marks that may not be seen immediately.
Old 07-27-2016, 04:05 PM

I'm happy with my home/amateur nut slot job. I don't believe that it would be better just because it was sent to a luthier who has all the 'correct' sized files. Done the job myself......and saved myself €20-45.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair