The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-27-2011, 06:14 AM

Default Electric Setup

Before I take my electric for its first ever setup/intonation setup/neck setup/PUP installation, do I restring beforehand? Or restring after? Or bring the strings along? I will be using coated strings.
The reason I'm asking is because I've never done this.
Old 10-27-2011, 07:28 AM

To be honest, a good tech will not even think about doing a setup without new strings. Let him know you are a beginner so he can recommend a decent gauge, I would recommend light starting at 10's. You could go to 9's later but that will mean an adjustment of the intonation again along with the action and possibly the neck relief. Yes, strings have that much effect when you change gauges.
2007 GA8e Taylor
2005 ESM-10e Fender Ensenada
2005 850t Carvin Cobalt
Lots and Lots and Lots of Solid body Electrics
Old 10-27-2011, 10:26 AM

No, don't restring before hand. The tech will just have to remove them anyway to install pups, level and crown frets as needed... You just need to know what gauge you want and what you want your action to be so he can do the entire setup. Definitely have him check the frets and rework them as needed. depending on the age of the guitar and amount of use and your playing style a level and crowning is likely needed.

My tech knows me well and what I like and want. He keeps records on each of my guitars.
Old 10-27-2011, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrapin View Post
No, don't restring before hand. The tech will just have to remove them anyway to install pups, level and crown frets as needed... You just need to know what gauge you want and what you want your action to be so he can do the entire setup. Definitely have him check the frets and rework them as needed. depending on the age of the guitar and amount of use and your playing style a level and crowning is likely needed.

My tech knows me well and what I like and want. He keeps records on each of my guitars.
Thanks. It is a brand new cheap guitar. How do I know what action I prefer? I am a beginner with average length stubby tipped fingers. I am still having problems doing tone bends and releasing the tone bends - whilst bending up they cause the other 2 adjacent strings to snag/ring out.
Old 10-27-2011, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie888 View Post
Thanks. It is a brand new cheap guitar. How do I know what action I prefer? I am a beginner with average length stubby tipped fingers. I am still having problems doing tone bends and releasing the tone bends - whilst bending up they cause the other 2 adjacent strings to snag/ring out.
If your tech is good he will ask for this exact info and probably ask you to play for him and he will adjust the action accordingly. My recommendation would be to start with strings no smaller than 10's and don't adjust the actio too low until you get some playing hours under your belt. Action a bit higher with 10's will help strengthen your fingers, improve your intonation and help with overall technique.

Learn to mute other not wanted strings with bends and release smoothly.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification