The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 01-18-2019, 10:07 AM

Default gluing micarta

I'm working on a project, and am using a micarta (Richlite) fretboard and possibly bridge. Whats the best glue to use for this? Will standard Titebond hold good enough?

Last edited by hat; 01-18-2019 at 12:20 PM.
Old 01-18-2019, 12:06 PM

micarta includes a wide range of different materials, resins, and properties (including Richlite, widely used for fretboards these days). Lots of suggestions that titebond may not work, some suggest epoxy or Gorilla type glue. Some have natural material (linen, paper) in a plastic resin. I would choose based on manufacturer's suggestions, and what I was gluing it to.
Old 01-18-2019, 12:21 PM

Good point.Post edited, substance is Richlite, from Martin.
Old 01-22-2019, 08:15 AM

after further research, I find that epoxy, or maybe Superglue are the only acceptable glues for Richlite. It does not have the cell structure to support using wicking glues, such as Titebond.
Old 01-22-2019, 08:53 AM

Just finished a Martin dread kit with a Richlite fretboard.
The kit instructions, while definitely not the best, didn't mention the need for any special glues.
I used Titebond and it has worked just fine so far. Played the guitar for 3 hours at the farmer's market Saturday and the fretboard didn't slip once.

Oh yeah the bridge is richlite too. Same result. Worked just fine so far.

And an update - sure looks like epoxy only is supposed to be used. Better go see if that bridge popped off yet!

Last edited by Skarsaune; 01-22-2019 at 09:39 AM.
Old 01-22-2019, 09:45 AM

Did the Martin kit specify using Titebond? I find that curious. I wonder if they've had any complaints about problems with it?
I'm using a Richlite fretboard on a semi-acoustic I'm working on. I was going to use a Richlite bridge, but ended up going with a std Ebony one. Glad I did now. I don't mind using epoxy on the fretboard on this one, but I'll not use richlite again.
Old 01-22-2019, 10:02 AM

I'll check the instructions again when I get home to see.
Curious myself, as I have another kit in progress.
Old 01-22-2019, 10:46 AM

Titebond is not the best glue to use. Slow set epoxy would be the most appropriate, provide the longest bond and be the strongest.
Old 01-22-2019, 11:09 AM

In 1978, I built my first guitar. It used a "paper-based phenolic" material for the fingerboard. The phenolic was purchased in a 1/4" x 4 x 8' sheet and cut-up into fingerboard blanks. It came with a shiny surface that needed to be scraped off prior to gluing. The underside of the unbound fingerboard was glued to the neck and top using Titebond. In all of those years the glue joint has never shifted or failed.

According to richlite.com,

Quote:
Richlite is an incredibly durable, extremely versatile, and highly sustainable material made from resin-infused paper. Originally developed over 70 years ago for industrial tooling and pattern making, Richlite has expanded into a premium surface material used in the aerospace, marine, action sports, culinary, architecture, and design industries, and in machine shops and automotive manufacturing. Handmade from many layers of high quality custom craft paper, Richlite’s surface texture comes from the natural variation in the way fibers lay within the paper. Composed of approximately 65% FSC®-certified or recycled paper content and 35% phenolic resin, Richlite’s color comes from a combination of the paper and the amber tone of the resin.
Assuming that Richlite is the same as or similar to the "paper-based phenolic" that I used, my experience suggests that it can successfully be glued with Titebond.

It would make sense to contact any of the guitar manufacturing companies (e.g. Martin) that use it in large quantities and ask what they recommend.
Old 01-22-2019, 01:01 PM

To add to what Mr Tauber wrote, I've used Martin-made Richlite parts twice, one fingerboard and one bridge on separate instruments. Titebond for the fingerboard and HHG for the bridge. Two years later no issues with either. PS, I did use cyanoacrylate for the FB inlays. Same result there.
Old 01-22-2019, 03:45 PM

An update - the Martin kit instructions make no mention of a special glue for the bridge or fretboard. Copyright on the booklet is 2005; I don’t know when they started supplying Richlite components.

The bridge and fretboard are clearly identified as Richlite in the kit description on their website.

Anecdotally, my guitar is still together. :-)
Old 01-22-2019, 04:40 PM

Epoxy for the bridge. I wonder how you would clean up squeeze out without hurting finish?
Old 01-28-2019, 08:44 AM

well, I glued the fretboard on with Titebond. I guess I'll see soon enough how well it holds.
Old 01-28-2019, 12:28 PM

Quote:
I wonder how you would clean up squeeze out without hurting finish?
I clean off uncured epoxy with white vinegar.
Old 02-03-2019, 10:25 PM

In the TV show Fire and steel (sorry, I watch the French teanslation) they use fast acting epoxy to glue micarta handles on steel knifes.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair