The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 01-22-2019, 10:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
That's when I learned that the refs intentionally attempt not to be the deciding factor more and more as the post-season advances.
...apologies for taking your quote out of context...but...this particular no call was way beyond an attempt to let the game play out....it was in fact a deciding factor that was forced upon the players by an inept ref.....if the intent was to not influence the outcome it was an epic fail because it did just that...

...full disclosure...not a Saints fan but I was pulling for them because I'm quite fond of the rich musical heritage that belongs to NO...talk about yer shallow Hal eh?...
Old 01-22-2019, 10:25 AM

Many other factors determined that game. Saints' dropped pass in the end zone (3 points, rather than 7), extremely poor Saints clock management after the no-call pass play, far fewer yards in total offense, etc. The no-call face mask on Goff was more influential on the outcome than the headliner no call.

There are those in the league and journalism who want to shake up the rules and they use these examples to stir up controversy. Fortunately, the fans are able to view the facts and decide for themselves. If they want to.

Should be a great Super Bowl. Predicting Rams by 1, in OT.
Old 01-22-2019, 10:32 AM

Sean Payton lost the game in the first half with bad plays.
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Ovation CS28P KOAB - Koa Burst (2017)
Paul Reed Smith 305 - Sunburst (2012)
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 - Autumn Sky (2013)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat - Sonic Blue (2012)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)
Old 01-22-2019, 10:44 AM
Charter Member

Well, first off, I've watched at least part of every Super Bowl ever played, starting with the first one when I was 6 years old. So I'm pretty sure I'm gonna watch. I've grown to hate football over the years, but I'm addicted to it. I played in high school, watched it every weekend first with my Dad and Brother, then with friends, then with my own family. By the time the concussion stuff and the horrible injuries (I'll never forget the moment Taylor hit Theisman and destroyed his leg) convinced me that the level of brutality was just too much to justify, I was well and fully addicted. I've sort of tried to quit, but each season sucks me in at some point, and this one is no exception.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpspitfire View Post
personally, i dont care if the rams contacted them with a bathroom sink, im glad they lost, ever since that crap putting a hit contract on favre in the super bowl, and that coach knew about it, i dont care if they ever win another game as long as he's still there, they get no sorrow from me
I feel the same way. Brees is probably the only remaining player on that team and I like him and the other players on that team just fine. But I didn't like Payton before that and I can't stand the guy since then. But Payton (and Greg Williams) should have been fired and banned from the sport to send a strong message about that sort of thing. I consider Bountygate far worse than anything the Patriots have been accused of, and as we've established, I'm basically a Patriots hater. Mad respect, but can't stand 'em anymore and can't wait for the dynasty to end. So anything bad that happens to the Saints, as long as Payton is still coaching them, I just consider a fine dose of delayed karma and it couldn't happen to a more deserving guy. Their exits from the last two playoffs under insane circumstances both times are just FINE with me, as bad as this missed call probably was for the game. At least going forward, because I bet they're gonna allow instant replay on some penalties now and that's a can of worms they really should keep closed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post
You can always root for the Patriots.
This is not even biologically possible for many many many people outside of the New England area. I WOULD miss this Super Bowl before I'd ever see that happen. Pats / Cowboys would have been my least favorite Super Bowl ever - I'd just have to rejoice in one of those teams losing. Saints / Patriots would have been my second least favorite outcome, but I'd definitely be pulling for the Saints because I like Brees and would love to see him get another. Anything with the Patriots is bad enough - I'd have loved to see Andy Reid coaching in this game again. But at least with the Rams, I have a team I can easily root for. I wouldn't put much money on 'em, but if anybody can harass Brady into a bad game, it's their D-Line, so I'm pulling hard for them, odds aside.

-Ray
Old 01-22-2019, 10:56 AM

If I was a Saints fan, I'd STILL be upset. that was about as bad as it gets.

However, I'm not, New England Native, so yea,, I'm shocked they pulled this one off in KC.

I was pretty much resolved to the fact that KC was going to find a way..

/ray

Last edited by rmp; 01-22-2019 at 11:04 AM.
Old 01-22-2019, 12:16 PM
Charter Member

Both of the playoff games were tipped one way or the other by bad ref calls or non-calls. But I can very clearly remember the Seattle Seahawks losing the Super Bowl to the Pittsburgh Steelers over a bad call or two. So this is not a new problem.

It's the nature of the game. Refs are human; they make mistakes; sometimes their mistakes make the difference in how a game result turns out. When it's your team, it can be really upsetting.

I have always enjoyed the playoff games more than the Super Bowl. I will probably watch the Super Bowl but I won't be surprised if I fall asleep.

- Glenn
Old 01-22-2019, 12:27 PM
Charter Member

Well for sure I will be a Patriots fan in two weeks!
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 01-22-2019, 12:36 PM

Judgment calls are a part of sports but instant replay has made us intolerant of errors of this magnitude. Yes, the refs usually "let them play" and they can't call everything, but this was not borderline. It was egregious on multiple levels and affected the outcome of the game. It has to be called. It is not just another call among many. It is the key moment of the game and will not be debated for a week and forgotten like all the other calls that go into a game or season. This will go down as one of the worst blown calls in sports history and as bad as I feel for the Saints and their fans, the Rams kind of get a bad deal too because this will hang like a cloud over them if they go on to win.
1998 Alvarez-Yairi DY38c
2012 Kentucky KM-150 Mandolin
Old 01-22-2019, 01:13 PM

I'm sure I'm not the only one that became a Rams fan, right?

Anyone but the Patriots.
'50's Gibson LG-1
lukegardmusic.com
Old 01-22-2019, 02:04 PM

I heard tickets are past $3500 each now. Man, the economy really is booming.
Old 01-22-2019, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdhttr View Post
Judgment calls are a part of sports but instant replay has made us intolerant of errors of this magnitude. Yes, the refs usually "let them play" and they can't call everything, but this was not borderline. It was egregious on multiple levels and affected the outcome of the game. It has to be called. It is not just another call among many. It is the key moment of the game and will not be debated for a week and forgotten like all the other calls that go into a game or season. This will go down as one of the worst blown calls in sports history and as bad as I feel for the Saints and their fans, the Rams kind of get a bad deal too because this will hang like a cloud over them if they go on to win.
If the Rams win the Super Bowl an asterisk should be affixed to that tainted victory. And that is what it will be, because most football fans who love the game know in their heart of hearts that the Rams did not belong in that SB and no one will ever convince me that the Rams themselves think otherwise either.
Old 01-22-2019, 02:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickgm60 View Post
Many other factors determined that game. Saints' dropped pass in the end zone (3 points, rather than 7), extremely poor Saints clock management after the no-call pass play, far fewer yards in total offense, etc. The no-call face mask on Goff was more influential on the outcome than the headliner no call.

There are those in the league and journalism who want to shake up the rules and they use these examples to stir up controversy. Fortunately, the fans are able to view the facts and decide for themselves. If they want to.

Should be a great Super Bowl. Predicting Rams by 1, in OT.
Well from what I have read and watched since Sunday, the fans and the sports commentators seem overwhelmingly unanimous in their opinion that this will be the greatest NO CALL in NFL history to cost a team an NFC championship!

Saints get hardly no love around here
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 01-22-2019, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chistrummer View Post
I heard tickets are past $3500 each now. Man, the economy really is booming.
The economy is always pretty good for the top 20%. We should remember that the majority of Americans make less than $35,000/yr, and that more than 80% make less than $70K. So, I'd hesitate to make sweeping statement about "the economy" base on the cost of a Super Bowl ticket.

More stats, from 2017, available at the the SSA website.

https://www.ssa.gov/cgi-bin/netcomp.cgi?year=2017
Old 01-22-2019, 04:31 PM

Default TB12

I WILL be watching the super bowl.
Go Pats!
Old 01-22-2019, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintBob View Post
Well for sure I will be a Patriots fan in two weeks!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic