The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-21-2019, 09:03 AM

Default QSC: CP Series or K. Series?

I've narrowed down my search for a loudspeaker to the QSC brand. They have a lot of positive reviews, and from what I've heard they are solid speakers. What what I can tell, the diff. between these two series are the wattage (2000 vs 1000) and the fact that the K.2 has effects. I think that's it?

I'm a solo acoustic player, small venues, and I run my acoustic through the Trace Elliot Transit A. That's where I get my EQ, Compression and Reverb.

My VOX and backing tracks (which I make in logic, and they contain keys, drums and bass) goes through a VL3.

The guitar and VOX are mixed to a small Yamaha mixer, fed through a mild compressor, and out to the speaker.

Does anyone have experience with these speakers?

If so I have 2 questions...

1. CP Series or K.2 series?

2. Do you think an 8" would be best for my scenario, or the 12"? Like I said, I have drums and bass going on (with just a couple tunes). Or do you think 12" would be too much (maybe too "woofy" sounding?) for the acoustic?
Old 01-21-2019, 09:18 AM

If I were you, I would get a used K8, 10 or 12 speaker (the original model). These can be found in absolutely mint condition for the same price, if not cheaper than the CP Series (talking a new CP). They are a better speaker than the CP series and IMO, they are just as good as the newer K.2 speakers that replaced them.

I own two K12's and a K10 (original models). I did want to upgrade to the K.2's but after a/bing them, I didn't hear enough of a difference to warrant the change. If anything, I felt as though the originals had a smoother overall sound. In your situation any size would work well, it's all in how you want to use them. The smaller the speaker/size, the more dispersion so consider that. With the K8, the sound disperses at a fairly wide angle but with the K12's it's a bit more direct. I would suggest the 8 or 10.
Old 01-21-2019, 10:53 AM
Charter Member

I just went through this myself. I settled on the K10.2. It seemed to be a bit of "overkill", but then I was convinced that I'd rather have too much than not enough headroom/power. The 10" is not much heavier than the 8" and is still very manageable at 32 lbs. When auditioning all 3 of the K.2's and the 2 CP's I preferred the K10.2 over all of them as it seems to hit the sweet spot for fullness/clarity for both vocals and guitar. Haven't tried them with bass/drums, but in the store demo they pumped a lot of sound through them! Then I auditioned them with a solo acoustic track from YouTube to help decide.
Old 01-21-2019, 11:11 AM

I've been gigging with a single CP8 high and behind since last October. I've previously used a DBR10 and K10. The CP8 does the same job as the others and is quite a bit easier to carry around. The CP12 is a fairly heavy beast, and I would probably consider the K8.2 after the CP8 if I felt I needed to spend more money. We put a bass guitar through that CP8 for about a third of our repertoire.

Neither CP or K2 produces continuous power anywhere near those crazy specs. A speaker driver is <<10% efficient. Imagine >900 watts (or >1800 for a K2) of heat (plus the heat from the amp and power supply) in one of those small plastic boxes. It would get hotter than a toaster oven. A 15 AMP wall outlet could not even power a K2 at those continuous specs. It is nearly all marketing.

In any realistic scenario, both the CPs and the K2s are going to get you to the threshold of pain with no distortion. I would choose on features, size, and weight.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 01-21-2019, 11:11 AM

I have a pair of QSC K10.2 speakers. t
They don't have effects. They have DSP which is about EQ and even a delay that times speakers placed at some distance from each other to be heard simultaneously. I mostly do a solo acoustic act. Just me my guitars and harmonicas. The only canned music I play is from my I phone on breaks. These speakers sound fantastic. I did notice there was a break in period. The more I use them the better they sound. They cost a little more, but I know I have a quality speaker and don't have to worry about failure at a gig!
Old 01-21-2019, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
If I were you, I would get a used K8, 10 or 12 speaker (the original model). These can be found in absolutely mint condition for the same price, if not cheaper than the CP Series (talking a new CP). They are a better speaker than the CP series and IMO, they are just as good as the newer K.2 speakers that replaced them.
I thought that the CP series are basically the original K-series slightly modified (and cheaper) but the sound is almost identical.
Did you try both CP and original ones in the same room? I'm wondering because I used to have K12 and but I sold it. Now I might consider CP8 because of the smaller size and weight, unless it's significantly worse than the original K series.
Old 01-21-2019, 12:26 PM

I'd look for the original K10's used. The 10.2's don't sound any better.

I heard from somebody that the CP series was mostly parts from the original K series, but I have yet to confirm that. You can find used K10's fairly easily. If not, then I'd go with the CP 8's
Old 01-21-2019, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsum View Post
I thought that the CP series are basically the original K-series slightly modified (and cheaper) but the sound is almost identical.
Did you try both CP and original ones in the same room? I'm wondering because I used to have K12 and but I sold it. Now I might consider CP8 because of the smaller size and weight, unless it's significantly worse than the original K series.
I think QSC wants you to believe that but the K speakers are superior in tone and construction. For one, I don't believe the CP series even has an internal fan. It's not really needed with them but corners have been cut. Not saying the CP are bad at all, I just think the K's are on a different level.
Old 01-21-2019, 02:12 PM

Quote:
I think QSC wants you to believe that but the K speakers are superior in tone and construction. For one, I don't believe the CP series even has an internal fan. It's not really needed with them but corners have been cut. Not saying the CP are bad at all, I just think the K's are on a different level.
That is correct, no fan in the CPs. One less thing to make noise and break, or cutting corners, or just the latest semiconductors being efficient enough to not need it, or maybe the marketing department spec'ing a fan needed or not (and the color of the box :~) for the premium product... I used a K10 for four years and never noticed the fan running (even huge outdoor farmers markets).

None of these companies make money on unreliable products and even the cheapest Thump owners seem to report years of trouble free service.

Jon Fields
Old 01-21-2019, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
That is correct, no fan in the CPs. One less thing to make noise and break, or cutting corners, or just the latest semiconductors being efficient enough to not need it, or maybe the marketing department spec'ing a fan needed or not (and the color of the box :~) for the premium product... I used a K10 for four years and never noticed the fan running (even huge outdoor farmers markets).

None of these companies make money on unreliable products and even the cheapest Thump owners seem to report years of trouble free service.
All valid points but a company like Qsc would not willingly put out a more affordable speaker that sounds just as good as their more expensive models. It’s just not a good business practice. I am honestly not downplaying the Cp line, they seem great. However, I still feel that the original K speakers will be an upgrade.
Old 01-21-2019, 05:30 PM

Quote:
All valid points but a company like Qsc would not willingly put out a more affordable speaker that sounds just as good as their more expensive models. It’s just not a good business practice. I am honestly not downplaying the Cp line, they seem great. However, I still feel that the original K speakers will be an upgrade.
There was a famous business study of a vodka company that put the same product into three different bottles at three different price points. I've forgotten all but the headline at this point. Clearly the K2s are heavier than the equivalent CPs and you are getting something extra. The question remains if it is the tail fins of a 50s Cadillac or something with real utility. As an EE I am very skeptical of any product which starts off with specs that are trivially proven irrational, which takes out the entire powered PA speaker industry :~).

Jon Fields
Old 01-25-2019, 09:31 PM

Thank you for all the input on this. Went to GC today and auditioned the CP 8 and K 8.2 side by side. There (to me) was a night and day difference. The K had much more clarity and blew away the CP. walked out with the K 8.2 and couldn’t be happier
Old 01-26-2019, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkilgour2000 View Post
Thank you for all the input on this. Went to GC today and auditioned the CP 8 and K 8.2 side by side. There (to me) was a night and day difference. The K had much more clarity and blew away the CP. walked out with the K 8.2 and couldn’t be happier
Thank you for reporting back. I'll definitely audition both before I make a decision. I don't need extra power coming with K8.2 but clarity is always welcome.
Old 01-26-2019, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkilgour2000 View Post
Did you check the back side controls? Were both speakers placed in similar positions?

Jon Fields
Old 01-26-2019, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
.....Neither CP or K2 produces continuous power anywhere near those crazy specs. A speaker driver is <<10% efficient. Imagine >900 watts (or >1800 for a K2) of heat (plus the heat from the amp and power supply) in one of those small plastic boxes. It would get hotter than a toaster oven. A 15 AMP wall outlet could not even power a K2 at those continuous specs. It is nearly all marketing.

In any realistic scenario, both the CPs and the K2s are going to get you to the threshold of pain with no distortion. I would choose on features, size, and weight.
Well said Jon. I always appreciate your posts, especially regarding stage gear!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification