The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 01-03-2019, 10:35 AM

Default Using smart speaker for guitar accompaniment?

I'm curious if anyone is using one of the internet smart speakers (Alexa, Google Home, etc) to play music or backing tracks for guitar accompaniment? If so, how is it working out?

I don't currently own one, but looking at the possibility of getting one if I can do stuff like "Google, play a bluegrass guitar backing track in the key of G" and it fire up something for me to play along with. Or even play a specific song I request from anywhere on the internet. I'm sure there are smartphone/tablet apps that will do that sort of thing though I don't know if they do it with voice control which is really what I'm wanting.
Old 01-03-2019, 11:21 AM

There are smart speakers at some of my work sites but my personal favorite remains our Bose Soundlink Mini II because of the size, sound, simplicity and general portability. Without any cables it is easy to move within my house and for travel. It can have all the smarts I ever want via the phone or tablet that are part of my practice and accompaniment tools.

Please don't misunderstand that as against the other product options out there. All the leaders are great but after trying different things I love that particular Bose, my Yamaha THR, or using an acoustic guitar amp I have.
Old 01-03-2019, 12:19 PM

I use a JBL Xtreme wireless bluetooth speaker the same way. All the 'smarts' come from a tablet. I chose the JBL over a Bose because of its improved bass response. The Bose is better for easy listening, but the JBL is better for backup.
Old 01-03-2019, 12:44 PM

that's interesting. i have the amazon echo/alexa that i've had since xmas but i hadn't thought to try that. it does have a decent sound but i've only used it to play jazz at night when i go to bed. i'll check that out and let you know.

good idea.

update: well, it wasn't easy but i'm new to alexa. i asked, " alexa, play a blues guitar backing track in the key of G." she found one in Cm but it is with amazon music and you have to sign up and pay $4/month. no thanks.

one thing i have tried is to connect youtube to the alexa via bluetooth. i haven't tried for backing tracks but i've listened to justin, the guitar teacher, thru alexa while watching him on my ipad. this would work on my iphone also if i wish.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics

Last edited by muscmp; 01-03-2019 at 12:53 PM. Reason: update
Old 01-03-2019, 12:49 PM

Thanks for the replies, but we're really talking about two different things. I have the bluetooth speaker coupled with my smartphone/tablet thing going as well and it works okay, but I'm curious about the possibility of replacing that with a voice controlled smart speaker with built-in internet connectivity. I don't want to fiddle around with my tablet to play or loop a backing track. I just want to tell Alexa or Google Home or whichever device it is to play a certain song or find me a backing track of a particular genre and key so I can play along with it.

We might not be quite there yet with these devices, but I can't imagine it is far off. I think I'll pick up one of the Google devices at Best Buy and see what I can do with it.
Old 01-03-2019, 01:03 PM

We replied around the same time, muscmp. Interesting results. I was curious about needing a paid streaming service or such. I wonder if the Google device would be able to find stuff on youtube more directly?
Old 01-03-2019, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arwhite View Post
Thanks for the replies, but we're really talking about two different things. I have the bluetooth speaker coupled with my smartphone/tablet thing going as well and it works okay, but I'm curious about the possibility of replacing that with a voice controlled smart speaker with built-in internet connectivity. I don't want to fiddle around with my tablet to play or loop a backing track. I just want to tell Alexa or Google Home or whichever device it is to play a certain song or find me a backing track of a particular genre and key so I can play along with it.

We might not be quite there yet with these devices, but I can't imagine it is far off. I think I'll pick up one of the Google devices at Best Buy and see what I can do with it.
I've found all of the major speech recognition systems plenty enough challenged to not even think I would say find me the right backing track. Even a manual search is plenty enough challenge.

I would be looking at a Trio+ pedal or similar before a general purpose smart speaker if you want AI for accompaniment.
Old 01-03-2019, 02:26 PM

Quote:

Why don't just use use Google on your phone or tablet and play it through the speaker? That would be the best way to go anyhow.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 01-03-2019, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj144 View Post
Why don't just use use Google on your phone or tablet and play it through the speaker? That would be the best way to go anyhow.
My thinking was the same capabilities wouldn't be there through the tablet or smartphone as through the smart speaker, but maybe it is. I'll give that a look. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 01-03-2019, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post
I've found all of the major speech recognition systems plenty enough challenged to not even think I would say find me the right backing track. Even a manual search is plenty enough challenge.

I would be looking at a Trio+ pedal or similar before a general purpose smart speaker if you want AI for accompaniment.
You might be right about the current state of speech recognition, but it does seem to have advanced quite a bit and very quickly recently. I've got to believe we aren't far from it already.

I'll take a look at Trio+. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 01-03-2019, 02:59 PM

Quote:
My thinking was the same capabilities wouldn't be there through the tablet or smartphone as through the smart speaker, but maybe it is. I'll give that a look. Thanks for the suggestion.
If anything, it's the opposite. The phone would have more capabilities than the smart device.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 01-04-2019, 11:05 AM

Quote:
that's what i said. and, it works.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 01-04-2019, 12:45 PM

Quote:
If anything, it's the opposite. The phone would have more capabilities than the smart device.
Mine does via the apps a smart speaker doesn't have, ability to do manual search, and still use the Apple, Microsoft, Google and Amazon speech AI platforms.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic