The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 07-28-2016, 04:51 PM

Default Right handed to left handed conversion help

Hi all,

I own a Gibson j15 and it is right handed. I bought it with the intention to have it turned into a left handed guitar.

I stumbled upon a brilliant invention called the saddleboy. A guitar bridge that compensates making the bridge rout right handed but the bridge angle left handed.

Unfortunately the company went bust and you can't get one anymore. I think i want to fins somebody who may help me make a bridge like this as it seems a shame to drill holes in such a lovely guitar.

Any help much appreciated

Tristan
Old 07-28-2016, 04:58 PM
Charter Member

It may be easier to fill the existing saddle slot and cut a new slot in the correct orientation for a left-handed compensated saddle. No need to remove the bridge, no holes in the guitar.
Old 07-28-2016, 06:11 PM

My youngest is 15, he is left handed. He converts his own guitars to be left handed.

My point, its a real simple task to do, fill the saddle slot in, route it the opposite direction, make a new saddle and a new nut, drill some fret markers.

Be advised however.

This does not address the internal placement of tone bars, you can also instead of filling the saddle slot just re-manufacture a bridge to be left handed instead (more costly however).

Their is a cheap way and expensive way.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 07-28-2016, 06:25 PM

Default T

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogthefrog View Post
It may be easier to fill the existing saddle slot and cut a new slot in the correct orientation for a left-handed compensated saddle. No need to remove the bridge, no holes in the guitar.
This is true but surely filling and rerouting the saddle will devalue the guitar. And I think I will struggle to find a luthier in England who can fill a walnut saddle

I love the idea of it just being a bridge and nut swap out that makes it completely left handed with no intonation issues. But if I can't work it I'll get the bridge altered and just love that my guitar is my own.
Old 07-28-2016, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaric View Post
I will struggle to find a luthier in England who can fill a walnut saddle
Some of us can make a left handed bridge out of walnut or whatever you may want, but it will need someone that knows what they are doing at your end to remove the existing bridge and fit the new supplied one.

Which is likely far more expensive that filling and re-routing whats there at the momment

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 07-29-2016, 01:19 AM

Yes, replacing the bridge is very costly, but finding someone to fill the saddle slot and rerout it is going to be a challenge with the current bridge being walnut.

I think I will go to some luthiers and discuss the idea of a special saddle that requires no routing or filling. If I can find someone willing to make it, then I am definitely heading in the right direction of making this guitar left handed without doing anything to devalue or affect its warranty
Old 07-29-2016, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaric View Post
This is true but surely filling and rerouting the saddle will devalue the guitar. And I think I will struggle to find a luthier in England who can fill a walnut saddle

I love the idea of it just being a bridge and nut swap out that makes it completely left handed with no intonation issues. But if I can't work it I'll get the bridge altered and just love that my guitar is my own.
This is funny, I'm just in the middle of converting a lefty to a righty as we speak so I have a spare lefty bridge nut and saddle also bridge pins, a piezo pickup and volume and tone knob and plug so if you live in England you can have them if you want them.

Sent from my XT1021 using Tapatalk
Old 07-30-2016, 12:41 AM

https://www.yamahamusiclondon.com/Sa...-LEFT-CONV-KIT
Old 07-30-2016, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Klepper View Post
I actually went all the way to the yamaha store in London only to find they havent had them in stock for years :\

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair