The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 11-15-2021, 03:39 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoman View Post
Amazing work as always, Mark--good to have you back!
Thank you Nemoman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonzo View Post
... in saying: glad you’re back on the forum and wishing you all the best in the new home and workshop!
Thanks Lonzo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustinfurlow View Post
This is downright beautiful, Mark. And great to hear an update about the new shop...look forward to visiting in 2022.
Thanks Dustin, We look forward to your visit!

Mark

"A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking".
Steven Wright
Old 11-15-2021, 04:27 PM
Charter Member

That rosette looks fantastic, Mark! The blues and brown compliment one another nicely. Can you say a little more about the process behind this? My understanding is that stone is very difficult to work with, but recon stone is much easier. Looks like you are using the "real" item?
Old 11-15-2021, 05:41 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erithon View Post
That rosette looks fantastic, Mark! The blues and brown compliment one another nicely. Can you say a little more about the process behind this? My understanding is that stone is very difficult to work with, but recon stone is much easier. Looks like you are using the "real" item?
Thanks Erithon, Yes it is real stone. If I were going to go with recon stone I might just as well use dyed wood to get the additional colors.

I can't speak to whether it is difficult to work with yet because I am just an infant. Everything is difficult until it's easy. I will say when mixing stonework with woodwork one challenge does present itself pretty quickly. When you sand, plane or carve wood you get sawdust and wood chips. When you work stone you get different grits of sand. Grits of sand don't play well with wood unless, of course, you're controlling it like with sandpaper.

Steven Wright
Old 11-16-2021, 06:11 AM

Mark,
Great to see you back posting and working from your new studio. The Lapis Lazuli makes me thing of a dyed maple burl when I see it in the rosette images, though I imagine that in person it gives a different look owing to the different way the material likely interacts with light.
Old 11-16-2021, 06:53 AM
AGF Sponsor

WOW!, amazing work and fantastic photography. I'm sorry I missed this post the first time around. Who made that rosewood handled shave?, I tried to read the stamp but just could not make it out.
Old 11-16-2021, 11:25 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffStGermaine View Post
Mark,
Great to see you back posting and working from your new studio. The Lapis Lazuli makes me thing of a dyed maple burl when I see it in the rosette images, though I imagine that in person it gives a different look owing to the different way the material likely interacts with light.
Thanks GeoffStGermaine. Lapis Lazuli is the original pigment for the color ultramarine. The stone is often mottled with different colors, sometimes gold etc so it has a textured look that is not quite as organized as the texture in burl.

As far as the color of Lapis Lazuli goes it may have been the first pigment of blue humans have ever used. The Egyptians started using it when it was likely humans were just starting to perceive the color blue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Kraus View Post
WOW!, amazing work and fantastic photography. I'm sorry I missed this post the first time around. Who made that rosewood handled shave?, I tried to read the stamp but just could not make it out.
Thanks Bill. That stamp doesn't really stand out against that hand forged blade. Dave Jeske designed that shave as a one time run for Blue Spruce. I don't know if they still have any left over for sale.

I am a big fan of the Blue Spruce, in fact, I just got a set of 7 paring chisels from them. The design, balance and quality of materials is incomparable.
I got them with the Cocobolo round handles and flat black ferrules. The set goes from 1/8" wide to 1":

One innovation they have is the concave edge along the sides which increases access and visibility in tight places:

It doesn't hurt that they are beautiful too!

Steven Wright

Last edited by Mark Hatcher; 11-16-2021 at 11:57 AM.
Old 11-16-2021, 01:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hatcher View Post
Thanks Erithon, Yes it is real stone. If I were going to go with recon stone I might just as well use dyed wood to get the additional colors.
My thoughts exactly: your philosophy resonates with me, Mark. I'm excited to see how stone will feature in your builds over the coming years!
Old 11-16-2021, 04:32 PM

Mark, good to see you are back at it and coming out with new features taking your work to higher levels.

You must be a short distance north of one of my favorite artists Waitsfield native Grace Potter. She and her husband recording producer Eric Valentine are building a recording studio and a small audience venue at a unused dairy farm in the Waitsfield/Fayston area.

What an embarrassment of riches that addition and you and your wife make to Vermont.

Bruce,
Old 11-16-2021, 06:07 PM
Charter Member

Hey Mark, your posts are always a welcome sight. Glad you’re settling in. I’m sure you’ll have much success in your new home. As all the others said, the rosette is gorgeous! I love how you continue to push the artistic envelope.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 11-17-2021, 11:03 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erithon View Post
My thoughts exactly: your philosophy resonates with me, Mark. I'm excited to see how stone will feature in your builds over the coming years!
Thanks Erithon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEJ View Post
Mark, good to see you are back at it and coming out with new features taking your work to higher levels.

You must be a short distance north of one of my favorite artists Waitsfield native Grace Potter. She and her husband recording producer Eric Valentine are building a recording studio and a small audience venue at a unused dairy farm in the Waitsfield/Fayston area.

What an embarrassment of riches that addition and you and your wife make to Vermont.

Bruce,
Thanks, that’s very nice of you to say that. Waitsfield isn’t too far to the west of us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealpine View Post
Hey Mark, your posts are always a welcome sight. Glad you’re settling in. I’m sure you’ll have much success in your new home. As all the others said, the rosette is gorgeous! I love how you continue to push the artistic envelope.
Thanks Mike, I do like to push and try new things. It keeps it exciting!

Steven Wright

Last edited by Mark Hatcher; 11-26-2021 at 10:35 AM.
Old 11-18-2021, 06:04 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default English Walnut

Here is a picture of the board I got the back and sides from for this guitar:

It is a little bit heavier and stiffer than Black Walnut which if Black Walnut is halfway between Mahogany and Rosewood, I'd expect English Walnut to be a smidge more toward the Rosewood tone.
The spalting, curl and figure are each a bit uncommon for English Walnut I think it is eye catching. I got two guitar b&s sets from this.

I'm paring it up with a beautiful Redwood tunnel 13 top which has a bit of it's own character:

Redwood and Walnut is a great tonal combination!

Mark

Steven Wright
Old 11-18-2021, 06:28 PM

Mark, that English walnut is gorgeous! Can’t wait to see the finished product!
Old 11-22-2021, 07:31 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treenewt View Post
Mark, that English walnut is gorgeous! Can’t wait to see the finished product!
Thanks Treenewt!

Here is the English Walnut back coming together:

We're going with a Macassar Ebony fretboard and binding along with a Macassar back center strip:

M

Steven Wright
Old 11-23-2021, 10:04 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Back Graft

After the back center graft the cross grained spruce back graft goes on:

It is then planed down to remove weight and stress points:

My branded H logo chip is glued in:

While that dries I split out the back brace stock and start prepping and sorting the braces for installation.

M

Steven Wright
Old 11-24-2021, 07:52 AM
AGF Sponsor

Here the branded logo chip is in place:

The back brace blanks can now be glued on in the lattice pattern I use on most of my models:

M

Steven Wright

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop