The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-20-2019, 10:20 PM

Default B-Band A2.2 XOM (installing only the UST?)

I have had a brand new B-Band A2.2 XOM for about two years but have never gotten around to installing it. As some of you may know, I recently discovered the Schatten HFN and love it. I will most likely use is 90% of the time with the Tonedexter.

However, I have two output jacks in my guitar and I kind of want to install a UST for those situations where I need an active system or where I need to fight feedback (will still most likely pair it with the TD). I was going to buy a Matrix Infinity but then remembered I had the B-Band system.

Here's my question.. since the B-Band pickup comes in parts (everything plugs into the internal preamp box), would it be possible to just install the UST and not the AST? Since the blend all the way to bridge is 100% UST, I feel as though this would work fine. I would install the AST in an alternate spot as I have heard of many people doing this but I am afraid to try it and hate it and then have to throw the AST out as it can't really be used again.
Old 02-20-2019, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
I have had a brand new B-Band A2.2 XOM for about two years but have never gotten around to installing it. As some of you may know, I recently discovered the Schatten HFN and love it. I will most likely use is 90% of the time with the Tonedexter.

However, I have two output jacks in my guitar and I kind of want to install a UST for those situations where I need an active system or where I need to fight feedback (will still most likely pair it with the TD). I was going to buy a Matrix Infinity but then remembered I had the B-Band system.

Here's my question.. since the B-Band pickup comes in parts (everything plugs into the internal preamp box), would it be possible to just install the UST and not the AST? Since the blend all the way to bridge is 100% UST, I feel as though this would work fine. I would install the AST in an alternate spot as I have heard of many people doing this but I am afraid to try it and hate it and then have to throw the AST out as it can't really be used again.
I have a AST in front of one of my bridge plates and behind another. Just make sure to measure the lead and make sure it can reach the preamp. As for just installing the UST, yes you can do that, and the B-Band UST is a good sounding one. I don't think placement is important with the AST as it is with other soundboard transducers. what about moving it around on the top of the guitar to the place you think you're going to install it inside to see what it will generally sound like? Oh yeah, I think I told you this before, but where the UST passes through the saddle plug that hole with a little bit of cotton or putty and it'll stabilize the tone of the UST as I heard some installs that have a slight metallic ring. If you don't get the ring don't worry about it.
And look make at your records and make sure bought that B-band from a licensed seller not a Chinese ebay seller because many on those were defective, that's why they were so cheap!!!
Old 02-21-2019, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
I have a AST in front of one of my bridge plates and behind another. Just make sure to measure the lead and make sure it can reach the preamp. As for just installing the UST, yes you can do that, and the B-Band UST is a good sounding one. I don't think placement is important with the AST as it is with other soundboard transducers. what about moving it around on the top of the guitar to the place you think you're going to install it inside to see what it will generally sound like? Oh yeah, I think I told you this before, but where the UST passes through the saddle plug that hole with a little bit of cotton or putty and it'll stabilize the tone of the UST as I heard some installs that have a slight metallic ring. If you don't get the ring don't worry about it.
And look make at your records and make sure bought that B-band from a licensed seller not a Chinese ebay seller because many on those were defective, that's why they were so cheap!!!
It does sound like the AST can be placed anywhere. I once contacted a luthier who recommended B-Band pickups in his guitars. He said he places the AST on the inside back of his guitars as they are constructed with a live back that moves with the soundboard vibrations. He sent some clips and it sounded great. Make me think that the AST can be moved around. I might try the approach of just moving it around on top and seeing if I can find a sweet spot.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification