The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-20-2019, 10:47 AM

Default New Gretsch 5420

So, the new 5420 came in late last week and I am loving it. I mostly play acoustics, but came across vids of the Gretsch and started getting more and more curiouser. Add to that all of the posts from Steve DeRosa about his love for Gretsch and I just had to do it. It's mostly your fault Steve. Plus, I am weak. I also ordered the Bugera V5.

Wow. Just sitting on the couch playing it acoustic is fantastic. It has it's own sound. I guess I would describe it as sweeter than my acoustics... and I really like the sound of my acoustics.

And when I add the Bugera to get just enough volume... Wow.

As I've said in other threads, I am currently just a chord strummer. But I am using the Gretsch as an excuse to start picking chords. My lacking of coordination and rhythm don't help but I will get there.

The icing on the cake is: The missus even likes it. She plays too.

Thanks Steve, for being so persistant on your love of Gretsch and your comments on the quality of the current Korean made ones.
Taylor T5Z
Big Muddy Mandolin-Ziricote b&s
Old 02-20-2019, 01:49 PM

Congrats. I bought my 1st Gretsch guitar about 3 months ago. Totally loving it. Teaching myself Mr Sandman by Chet Atkins. I think it might be one of those unwritten rules for Gretsch owners. You have to know how to play Mr. Sandman.
Old 02-20-2019, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny K View Post
...I think it might be one of those unwritten rules for Gretsch owners. You have to know how to play Mr. Sandman.
- also "Stray Cat Strut"...

Congrats - use it well, often, and (not too) loud...
Old 02-20-2019, 03:20 PM

Don’t forget the rule that a picture is obligatory when announcing a new guitar!

Glad you like it - there is a definite joy about noodling on the couch with a nice semi acoustic. I love doing it with my 335 though I suspect your Gretsch will be even better acoustically.
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 02-20-2019, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny K View Post
Teaching myself Mr Sandman by Chet Atkins. I think it might be one of those unwritten rules for Gretsch owners. You have to know how to play Mr. Sandman.
Whoa, now! I'm a flatpicker! Don't make it mandatory I do Chet Atkins in order to have a Gretsch. I love the guy, but it's beyond me.

Really, really thinking of getting a G5420T, myself. Likely more Stray Cats than Chet... Would be my first guitar with a Bigsby.

And this vid isn't helping quell that itch. A take on Chris Isaak's classic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oWoOCTuERM

Last edited by RickRS; 02-25-2019 at 11:16 AM.
Old 02-20-2019, 03:45 PM

Congrats! Gretsch is a brand I really need to get out and try some. I had to look up "5420" - that's the Electromatic? I've read great things about those.
Old 02-20-2019, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Congrats! Gretsch is a brand I really need to get out and try some. I had to look up "5420" - that's the Electromatic? I've read great things about those.
All of them true - now get out there and try some...
Old 02-20-2019, 04:13 PM

I love Gretsch semis.

I don't own one because I already have a great semi (my first guitar which my wife bought for me which doesn't get played nearly enough) and my Telecaster which has become my go to guitar and in my mind, gives me all the "twang" I need.

Congratulations!
Old 02-20-2019, 04:42 PM
Charter Member

As other posts have stated...I absolutely love Gretsch guitars also. I’m with Steve. The Electromatics are one of the all around best buys in the guitar world.

My 5620T-CB is outstanding. Thinner profile body. Cats eye instead of f-holes. Killer pickups. Solid spruce centerblock. Sexy black! Honestly the only downside has been the weight. But it’s not unbearable. Just a bit heavy. But overall it’s one of my favorite players and I use it live at least once a week.

My new 5230T-FT Jet has been awesome also. Both are Electromatics. With the 5620 being double the costs of the 5230...with the former being made in Korea and the latter in China...I honestly am not sure I see the $$ difference.

Build quality on both is fantastic. I’d say the possible cost difference could be related to better hardware (a B-70 instead of a 50, a little better tuners, etc.), maybe...maybe better wiring. Honestly I’ve not changed anything on the 5620 other than adding the Biggsfix and Squishy Spring so I can really speak to wiring. But as to build quality...both are truly outstanding.

For my 5230 I am awaiting parts for a re-wire, new jack, switch, and a Reverend roller bridge (figured it’s worth the $20) as the original bridge has the typical rattles. If it doesn’t work out with the bridge no harm no foul. I’ll look into other options. I’ve also ordered a TUSQ nut, and have installed locking tuners.

Finally, I’ve installed a “Biggsfix” and “Squishy Spring” on it as well.
Both guitars really benefitted from these.

I’m sure you’ll love your new addition 62. I feel like Gretsch guitars are addicting. I had absolutely NO intention of buying another guitar as I already have more than enough. But once I saw the 5230...things changed. While I love my Reverend, and 87 E series Strat...they’re not getting the playing time that my Gretsch’s get.

We’d love to see pics. I hope your new addition brings you many years of fun and joy.

Last edited by PTony; 02-20-2019 at 11:33 PM.
Old 02-20-2019, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTony View Post
...My 5620T-CB is outstanding. Thinner profile body. Cats eye instead of f-holes. Killer pickups. Solid spruce centerblock. Sexy black! Honestly the only downside has been the weight. But it’s not unbearable. Just a bit heavy. But overall it’s one of my favorite players and I use it live at least once a week...
Here's the original version of your guitar, the cats'-eye 6117 from the mid-60's:

The combination of tighter knob spacing, chrome knobs, and non-ribbed tailpiece bar lead me to believe the black one dates to late '65 (the pickguard appears to be a later replacement) - Gretsch made the transition to the ribbed tailpiece bar in early '66, aluminum knobs in '67 - while the red one with the wide-spaced chrome knobs is almost certainly from the first batch in mid/late '64. Note also the combination of Van Ghent tuners, zero-fret fingerboard, chrome-bar "rocker" bridge, and Gretsch-branded aluminum Bigsby on the '64 - all characteristics of the contemporary 6119 Chet Atkins Tennesseean favored by George Harrison, and which in combination lend further credence to the long-standing rumor that this was designed by Gretsch to be pitched to the Beatles as an endorsement model; add to this George's expression, in an early interview, of his desire to design a guitar to his own specs, and the mystery deepens...

BTW, in the mid-70's I was in a band with a guy who had two of these - a red '66 and a black '67, both hardtails (as well as a midnight-blue late '66 Double Annie that may have been one-of-a-kind) - that he bought for $75 each with original silver HSC's...

He could easily flip each of them for 50-60 times that today...
Old 02-20-2019, 11:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Here's the original version of your guitar, the cats'-eye 6117 from the mid-60's:

The combination of tighter knob spacing, chrome knobs, and non-ribbed tailpiece bar lead me to believe the black one dates to late '65 (the pickguard appears to be a later replacement) - Gretsch made the transition to the ribbed tailpiece bar in early '66, aluminum knobs in '67 - while the red one with the wide-spaced chrome knobs is almost certainly from the first batch in mid/late '64. Note also the combination of Van Ghent tuners, zero-fret fingerboard, chrome-bar "rocker" bridge, and Gretsch-branded aluminum Bigsby on the '64 - all characteristics of the contemporary 6119 Chet Atkins Tennesseean favored by George Harrison, and which in combination lend further credence to the long-standing rumor that this was designed by Gretsch to be pitched to the Beatles as an endorsement model; add to this George's expression, in an early interview, of his desire to design a guitar to his own specs, and the mystery deepens...

BTW, in the mid-70's I was in a band with a guy who had two of these - a red '66 and a black '67, both hardtails (as well as a midnight-blue late '66 Double Annie that may have been one-of-a-kind) - that he bought for $75 each with original silver HSC's...

He could easily flip each of them for 50-60 times that today...
Wow! Thank you for sharing. I always appreciate the knowledge you share with the AGF. I’d love to add that 64 to my stable. Gorgeous. How did the “vintage” Gretsches compare to current offerings?

As stated, having owned many guitars over the years I’m truly amazed with current Gretsch guitars. I wished I would’ve discovered them much sooner. I’ve not had the privilege of playing a vintage Gretsch but I’m hoping to do that some day. And, while I can’t compare my Electromatics to the Pro line...I’m still blown away by the Chinese/Korean made Electromatics.

About a year ago I traded my 5620 on here to a stand up forum member. The exchange went well and we both really enjoyed the guitars that we ended up with. But, I just could not get the Gretsch out of my mind. Months later I’d contacted my forum friend to see if he still had the 5620 and if he’d be interested in another guitar I had for my Gretsch in return.

As it turned out he was willing, and we exchanged guitars once again. I was so happy to have her back! I can honestly say that in over 35 years of playing, buying, selling, and trading I’ve NEVER had the desire to find a guitar that I’d “moved along”...until the 5620. I’ve had guitars that I missed...but never enough to track them down and get them back.

There’s just something about Gretsch guitars that really work for me. They seem to fit the sound I “hear in my head”. Not that my other guitars don’t provide the tone I prefer...they do (*in their own way). But, my Gretsches really seem to be something special that have captivated me recently. Again, I wish I would’ve discovered them much, much sooner...

Thx again for sharing some history with us. That’s what makes the AGF such a great forum imho.

Last edited by PTony; 02-20-2019 at 11:39 PM.
Old 02-21-2019, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTony View Post
Wow! Thank you for sharing. I always appreciate the knowledge you share with the AGF. I’d love to add that '64 to my stable. Gorgeous. How did the “vintage” Gretsches compare to current offerings?

...Thx again for sharing some history with us. That’s what makes the AGF such a great forum imho.
Sorry I can't help you with a gennie '64, but it looks like these guys still have a new-old-stock red 5620T-CB in the house:

http://blackriderguitars.com/gretsch...-electromatic/

- and, unlike most of the other dealers, the price includes a hardshell case so it might be worth a check-out. FWIW I own one of these, in red:

http://blackriderguitars.com/gretsch...-electromatic/

Every Gretsch sound you've ever heard, and a few you've never been able to get until now (think Country Gent-meets-Stratocaster - IMO this is the Gretsch Mark Knopfler probably would have played on the Chet Atkins sessions had it been available) - small wonder it's become my main gigging guitar. BTW I came across a NOS piece in green, while I was out shopping with the band on Tuesday at one of the big-box stores; from what I can see it's a floor model in almost dead-mint condition (still has the plastic on the pickguard and label on the bridge) that's being sold as used, at a serious discount. Plugged it in and it plays every bit as well as my own, and it's somewhat lighter to boot - only thing is that it'll need a case (which will still bring you in around $300+ less than I paid for mine); if you're seriously interested, PM me for the full 411...

Finally coming back around to your original question, I'm an ex-Brooklyn boy whose grandparents lived three blocks from the old 60 Broadway factory (my grandfather - an amateur violinist in his younger days - showed up at the plant unannounced one day in late '63, where the foreman took him on a tour of the entire operation) and just down the block from the drum warehouse; growing up in that time and place your first "good" guitar was inevitably a Gretsch (this was well before anyone here ever heard of the Beatles), I presently own three - the '64 sunburst Double Annie I bought brand-new, the aforementioned 5622T-CB, and a double-cut White Falcon - and I've probably played several hundred more, without exaggeration, over the last 55 years...

That said, the quality of the vintage stuff can be very erratic - especially when it comes to the dovetail joint (in case you've ever wondered about the black "dot" on the neck heel of many Brooklyn Gretsch electrics, it's a plug covering the screw intended to hold the neck in place - and not in the "good" way associated with Fender and Taylor electrics) - and the iffy construction problems only magnify with time; I'm presently fighting off the dreaded binding deterioration on my '64 (the second most-common problem IME), such that I've had to place it in semi-retirement until I can get it professionally rebound. Bottom line: unless you're buying for collector value - meaning a thoroughly-vetted instrument from a reputable dealer - I'd unfortunately advise against investing in a vintage Gretsch...

Good news is that, as you've discovered, the Korean Electromatics and Japanese Professional Series guitars are IME among the finest to ever wear the Gretsch marque in the QC/playability department, and every bit the equal of the vintage stuff in terms of both tone and visual vibe (equally important to the "Gretsch mystique" IMO). While the MIJ models have slightly better fit/finish/hardware, the MIK E-Matics not only give away absolutely nothing in terms of tone, but are head-shoulders-&-navel above their Pac-Rim competitors quality-wise - and the fact that they sell for under $1K is just icing on the cake; in short, although the poly finish will never develop that distinctive Brooklyn Gretsch patina (FYI it's among the best of its kind I've seen - not thick, plasticky, or cheesy/cheap-looking), you'll have a lifetime guitar that you can depend on to deliver, where many of the "Golden Era" instruments fell far short of their promise...
Old 02-21-2019, 06:45 AM

Wow Rick. That vid you posted is fantastic. I can't see me getting to that point, but it certainly displays the Gretsch sound even with the help of pedals. Mr Hiltebrand is a very talented guy.
Please keep talking guys, I'm trying to absorb all this Gretsch history whilst picking away at my chords. A steep hill for some of us, but an enjoyable hill.
Taylor T5Z
Old 02-21-2019, 06:47 AM

Steve, I see you are in New York. Do you ever play in the midwest? I would certainly attend a show if you ever get to middle America.
Taylor T5Z
Old 02-21-2019, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62&climbing View Post
Steve, I see you are in New York. Do you ever play in the midwest? I would certainly attend a show if you ever get to middle America.
Unfortunately we're pretty much confined to the NYC Tri-State area, for a variety of reasons mostly beyond our control - besides, none of us are exactly kids anymore (even though we bring the same level of enthusiasm to the stage) so we kinda need to work around that, if you know what I mean. Good news is that we're presently in the final stages of setting up a local TV appearance in the not-too-distant future - computer semi-literate that I am, I'll try to find a way to post a clip when we do...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars